Does Thorongil give a printed resource icon?

By RogueSeventeen, in Rules questions & answers

My guess is yes?

25 minutes ago, RogueSeventeen said:

My guess is yes?

It says "resource icon", not "printed resource icon" so I would say no. The phrasing "gains...resource icon" as been used since the Core Set and it never implied "printed".

Edited by Alonewolf87

When you sword-thain someone they become a hero with a Printed Resource Icon since they have the actual icon printed on their card, so I was thinking along those lines for Thorongil adding an additional icon that's actually printed on the other hero card. But I see what you're saying, different wording.

They could have printed another word, printed. But it makes more sense that it gains the printed icon just like the Sword-thain, the above logic seems perfectly sound.

9 minutes ago, lleimmoen said:

But it makes more sense that it gains the printed icon just like the Sword-thain, the above logic seems perfectly sound.

Sword-Thain changes the card type of the ally, which already has a printed icon, while Thorongil acts as intermediate between two different versions of an hero. That's why I think the omission of "printed" is intentional.

According to the strict reading of the rules, it would not. But according to the strict reading of the rules, the entire effect does nothing because it fails to the uniqueness rule. So it is a difficult card to interpret. I would not count it as being a printed icon. As small compensation, this interpretation protects the added game text from "treat each character's text box as if it were blank" effects.