A quick question for first edition players

By Lightningclaw, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I recently purchased all the first edition boxed expansions and have been looking through the rules.

Are the boulders from Well of Darkness as awesome as they sound? Or are they more fiddly in practice?

Yes! Totally awesome! It's just like raiders of the lost ark!! Enjoy :)

16 hours ago, Lightningclaw said:

I recently purchased all the first edition boxed expansions and have been looking through the rules.

Are the boulders from Well of Darkness as awesome as they sound? Or are they more fiddly in practice?

They can be quite enjoyable to play with. Just make sure you know all of the rules that apply. In addition, I heavily recommend that you acquire the final FAQ for the game, as there are some rulings for boulders (as well as a whole lot of other clarifications). The final FAQ was created on 2012-07-12. If you don't know where to get it, here is a link:

D1e Final FAQ

I’ll actually be playing my first real game later today.

I did a solo attempt (played a bit of Into The Dark) to help me understand the rules.

I’m really enjoying the atmosphere. Exploring a level, hunting for color coded keys, battling the whole way... it calls to mind older video games like Doom, Commander Keen, Chex Quest... it feels really nostalgic, even though I’ve never played it before.

Yeah it's a far more immersive experience to me than the Second Edition. I really like the second edition - it did an awesome job at streamlining the game and making it more accessible - but the First Edition scenarios were truly like stories I got lost within. Enjoy!

Yes, the boulders are really fun.

I also think one of the best 1E games was the cave-in, where the party had to run through the dungeon while it collapsed behind them, killing anyone caught by it. Once they realized how quickly things were going to get bad, they really started to get excited. Also, I really tormented my friends by spawning bane spiders who would web people.

1E is really great, but its a big time commitment to get a game in. Now that I'm a dad playing with my family instead of a single guy playing with my friends, the 2E co-op app play and smaller games are a bit better.

Well, it ended with an Overlord victory.

I don’t think i had stressed enough how opening chests and activating glyphs gives conquest. That was the downfall of the heroes.

They opened the doors to areas 2 and 3 during the same round, and did not rush for glyphs or silver chests. They were quickly overwhelmed.

They also drew only conquest 3 and 4 heroes.

We’re hoping to play again soon. It definitely is different. It’ll take time to understand how first edition works.

Edit: we played the tutorial Into the Dark.

Edited by Lightningclaw
4 hours ago, Lightningclaw said:

Well, it ended with an Overlord victory.

I don’t think i had stressed enough how opening chests and activating glyphs gives conquest. That was the downfall of the heroes.

They opened the doors to areas 2 and 3 during the same round, and did not rush for glyphs or silver chests. They were quickly overwhelmed.

They also drew only conquest 3 and 4 heroes.

We’re hoping to play again soon. It definitely is different. It’ll take time to understand how first edition works.

Edit: we played the tutorial Into the Dark.

Generally speaking, it is ALMOST NEVER a good idea for heroes to open multiple areas at the same time within a D1e game. There are some exceptions, but they are pretty rare.

Of course, it IS almost always a good idea to NOT get bogged down either. A standard play for the OL in D1e is to just keep spawning stuff that distracts the heroes' attention from that which they should be focusing on.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:36 PM, Lightningclaw said:

They opened the doors to areas 2 and 3 during the same round, and did not rush for glyphs or silver chests.

😞 There are some real differences for D2 players to get used to.