Jamming Beam on Dengar

By Copperblue74, in X-Wing Rules Questions

This seems like such a basic question but it’s blowing my mind. Jamming Beam on Dengar......he has a turret arc but the Jamming Beam is only available through his front arc. If my turret arc is pointing to the rear, can I still shoot the Jamming Beam out of the front since it is equipped or does my turret arc have to be facing forward for me to be able to use it? Thanks!!

69D2C2A5-DC3E-46A5-A7BD-6815D8125B8E.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Copperblue74 said:

This seems like such a basic question but it’s blowing my mind. Jamming Beam on Dengar......he has a turret arc but the Jamming Beam is only available through his front arc. If my turret arc is pointing to the rear, can I still shoot the Jamming Beam out of the front since it is equipped or does my turret arc have to be facing forward for me to be able to use it? Thanks!!

69D2C2A5-DC3E-46A5-A7BD-6815D8125B8E.jpeg

You'd be able to shoot the Jamming Beam (Or other Cannon, or a Torpedo) out the front arc even if the turret is pointed elsewhere.

Cannons are out the forward facing arc only, unless otherwise stated. So Dengar's turret arc can be pointed in any direction, but the jamming beam must be shot out the forward facing arc (and can be no matter which way the turret faces).

My suggestion would be to look at a cannon that can deal damage. Cannons can still trigger Dengar's pilot ability, so putting an ion cannon or autoblaster on him gives him 180 degree coverage depending on where you rotate the turret arc.

I have a 199 point list so throwing the free Jamming Beam on is really my only choice.....was just trying to figure out how to use it if Dengar was in a tricky spot of not being able to attack with his primary (like the proposed arc facing rear) but had a ship at range 1-2 in his front arc.

7 hours ago, Copperblue74 said:

I have a 199 point list so throwing the free Jamming Beam on is really my only choice.....was just trying to figure out how to use it if Dengar was in a tricky spot of not being able to attack with his primary (like the proposed arc facing rear) but had a ship at range 1-2 in his front arc.

While it's more of a list building comment than a rules one... if you're running the Punishing One title, I would strongly recommend swapping it out for a damage cannon (like Ion or Autoblaster, as @SwampyCr suggests). What you lose in possible damage, you easily gain in arc coverage and ability consistency. Dengar becomes a lot more threatening when he can cover two arcs, instead of being a front-arc-only one trick pony.