Bell Of Lost Souls with the hot take on the Sequel Era

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Hm, I think i'd be interested in fleshing out the sequel era though. There were some.... interesting things in it, even if the movies weren't all that well made. Getting an animated show in the same vein as Rebels or Clone Wars could be cool. I don't mean the kiddy show, i mean a proper one. There's some definitely cool things to flesh out (Knights of Ren, for example)

Too bad even if they did do a show, they only left one year or so open between 8 and 9. Oh well.

But hey, it's alright, we don't need any more content in that era anyway. Rian wouldn't want us to hold on to things like that. He'd want us to move on... and... Just let the past die. Kill it if we have too. And JJ, well he'd probably say we can't stop now. We have to keep moving.

😜 🤣

The article is quit right that the sequel era brings nothing truly new to the franchise. It feels repetitive and cliche. Sorry for those who enjoy it, but I will certainly look forward to better SW content in OT and other eras.

They should just legend status the entire ST and start over.

1 hour ago, Jo Jo said:

it would be hard for them to do that, given the amount of money and visibility they gave it. I'm happy if they simply sideline it and devote resources to other eras.

Once they need to move the story further chronologically, simply do it more decades into the future and dilute ST content, keeping whatever is good about it.

We already know they're focusing on the High Republic for the novels and comics. What if that basis is there to build towards TV and film as well? I could see them doing that, even if I personally would rather see a film first.

22 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

it would be hard for them to do that, given the amount of money and visibility they gave it. I'm happy if they simply sideline it and devote resources to other eras.

Once they need to move the story further chronologically, simply do it more decades into the future and dilute ST content, keeping whatever is good about it.

Oh I know. I was only being half serious. It is rather obvious that they know the ST is just too volatile with fans and that they are probably just going to let it fade into memory. I'm sure internally the movies/merch did not hit their ultimate sales goals, otherwise we would probably have a Rey, Poe, or Finn spinoff show/movie in the works at the very least.

Edited by Jo Jo

So, D&D 4th edition treatment then?

22 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

it would be hard for them to do that, given the amount of money and visibility they gave it...

...actually it would be super easy, barely an inconvenience!

(Sorry, I've been watching too many Pitch Meetings during lockdown)

On 5/26/2020 at 9:28 AM, Jo Jo said:

I'd be ok with them eliminating all the sequel trilogy..

On the one hand I feel vindicated by this news, on the other hand it just seems sad that this trilogy will most likely be remembered as a massive waste of time, energy, money, and potential by the fan base at large. For all the hate I've lobbed at the ST there are plenty of ideas that in isolation are fantastic. It's just a shame the people at the helm of these films didn't seem to fully understand what they were going for in the first place. I like Finn, and his backstory is immediately interesting, but he's given no reason to exist after ep 7. Poe is charming and endearing, but has the same problem as Finn. Rey could've been a fan favorite character, but she was mishandled quite a bit making her rather frustrating as a protagonist.

In truth the whole setting was poorly handled. Watching 7 right after 6 you get the impression that somehow the hero's winning their biggest victory had more negative impact on themselves than the Empire. I've heard talk of a Cold War like scenario that lead to the rise of the First Order and the Republic being unwilling to fight them hence the Resistance existing at all, but not one bit of that made it into the films. That leaves us with a deeply unsatisfactory place for the SQ to start from a world-building standpoint, that seems to be more interested in invalidating previous entries instead of building upon them. These films are sequels, so if the story you wrote doesn't build organically from where the last entry left off, you have to do some rewrites.

I wish they could do a second try on the ST, because I can't see it being salvaged by anything but a complete do over. That seems unlikely though, as it would be too obvious of an admission of failure on the part of the studio. I want more out of these interesting characters. For how much I disliked Rian Johnson's film, some of his ideas are interesting like the notion that people have built their fortunes off of arms dealing and how to deal with that, or even the notion of Rey genuinely just being no one of consequence until she's thrust into this conflict. These films didn't have to play out like two children arguing over how to play with their toys the right way while the parent/studio just watches from the sidelines doing nothing. The fan base didn't have to be fractured over their reception either.

Hopefully the future is brighter than what we have now though. I want to be excited by the prospect of a new Star Wars movie, unlike now which has me more than willing to just calmly wait until the newest thing is streaming or available for a cheap rental. Here's to hoping this series will recover and continue long into the future.

Edited by Hippie Moosen
On 6/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, Hippie Moosen said:

On the one hand I feel vindicated by this news, on the other hand it just seems sad that this trilogy will most likely be remembered as a massive waste of time, energy, money, and potential by the fan base at large.

And the biggest waste of all: reuniting the Original Trilogy cast and characters.

We know Mark Hamill is 100% a fan as well as an actor, and I'm sure he'd be happy to reprise the role of Luke Skywalker whenever he's called upon. But many of the original trilogy actors have sadly passed since the Sequel trilogy began. And many of those that do remain are unlikely to want to return again.

Disney had an incredible opportunity to carry on the Star Wars legacy and to bring the Original cast back together for a true passing of the torch onto a new generation, but they blew it. They totally and utterly blew it. The chance is gone forever.

I hate to say it, but I could see a reboot/remake in the not-too distant future. Han and Lando and Obi-Wan have all been recast. C3-P0, R2-D2, Vader and Chewbacca are essentially "timeless" characters... we're basically just shy of a recast Luke and Leia.

Maybe Billie Lourd could stand in for Carrie?

Seems like more and more people are piggybacking in the above narrative, suggesting the sequels will be categorised as "Legends" with the rest of the EU, or have their numbered Star Wars status removed etc.

I'm loathe to pay too much attention to the view-seeking YouTubers with "insider info" of course, but these rumours aren't going to go away.

Didn't John Boyega say that Finn would be in future projects? Doesn't that directly contradict the article's conjecture?

Last I heard, John wasn't too keen on the idea of coming back to the role. I believe his exact words were "you aren't gonna Disney+ me." That was awhile ago though, so I guess he could be coming back. It would be nice to see him again. He's a pretty good actor, and with more to do or just more focus on his character I'd be intrigued enough to watch.

Edited by Hippie Moosen
1 hour ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Last I heard, John wasn't too keen on the idea of coming back to the role. I believe his exact words were "you aren't gonna Disney+ me." That was awhile ago though, so I guess he could be coming back. It would be nice to see him again. He's a pretty good actor, and with more to do or just more focus on his character I'd be intrigued enough to watch.

I think walked back on those comments a bit but I believe he is more interested in doing feature films, and he should be perfectly capable of continuing to do so. I imagine if Disney offered enough money or had an engaging enough concept, he'd consider it. I'd also guess a cameo is a possibility if they do make Disney+ content in the era.

I really wonder if the truth to this entire rumor is more around just moving on from the sequel era. We know a lot of the upcoming publishing is in the High Republic era, it won't be surprising to see more projects in that era outside of just books and comics, etc. Likewise, we've got The Mandalorian in the just-after-OT-era and there's still a lot of room for stories between the OT and ST (a lot more room than between PT and OT, at least).

2 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Didn't John Boyega say that Finn would be in future projects? Doesn't that directly contradict the article's conjecture?

I don't know about JB, but saw something from Oscar Isaacs the other day saying he'd only consider doing another Star Wars film if he needed another house. And IITC, Daisy said she was fed up with it after TLJ.

I wouldn't blame John or Oscar if they didn't want to go back at all. They were all but wasted following The Force Awakens. I imagine like Harrison Ford all of them would only ever return if the Mouse threw enough money at them.

Now Mark Hamill on the other hand...

JB said similar sentiments after The Last Jedi. I wonder if TLJ just wasn't fun to work on.

They’re going to be so disappointed when those same vocally awful fans wail and scream over a leading female in the HR era too.

35 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

They’re going to be so disappointed when those same vocally awful fans wail and scream over a leading female in the HR era too.

There's plenty of well written, well directed films and successful out there with strong and emotionally resonant leading female characters. A lot of the most relatable, heroic and engaging characters in the history of cinema and literature are female. Personally I don't think gender has anything to do with it.