The Fortress of Nurn Play-through (There Be Spoilers)

By Preotet, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

3 Hunters tackle the impossible task of defeating Thane Ulchor once and for all. They do their best (sort of).

GAME 1

Forth, the Three Hunters! (Gandalf, Tactics Eowyn, Spirit Glorfindel)

50 cards deck, starting threat 25

Initial draw: Herugrim, Dagger of Westernesse, Round Shield, Wizard Pipe, Warrior Sword and Firefoot. (Not bad, but I'm looking for Light of Valinor.)

Mulligan: Strider, Warior Sword, War Axe, Rivendell Blade, Quick strike, Unexpected Courage (Sadly, no Light of Valinor)

SETUP

1A: Players decks cannot exceed 50 cards. Create the Power of Mordor deck (see insert) and set it next to the quest deck. Each player puts 1 copy of Ulchor's Guard into play engaged with him. Add Thane Ulchor and all 4 copies of the Storm the Castle side quest to the staging area. Place the top card of The Power of Mordor deck faceup under each side quest in play. Each player places 8 cards from top of his deck under the quest deck and each side quest in play.

*Thane Ulchor = 0 engagement cost, X threat, 6 attack, 4 defense, 12 hit points. Immune to player card effects. X is 1 more than the number of Castle side quests in the victory display. Forced: After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck.]

*Storm the Castle side quests have all the same text on the front side. You charge into the castle, not knowing what you will find within ... The faceup encounter card underneath this quest is not in play. Forced: When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.

"Place the top card of The Power of Mordor deck faceup under each side quest in play."

1st side quest gets Covered in Darkness (Doomed 5. Each player's threat cannot be reduced by more than 1 each round by player card effects.)

2nd side quest gets The Armies of Mordor (Forced: After a non-unique enemy engages a player, that enemy cannot take damage until the end of the round.)

3rd side quest gets Khamul the Easterling (49 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 4 defense and 9 hit points. Immune to player card effects. Khamul the Easterling engages the first player. Only the engaged player can declare attackers or defenders against Khamul the Easterling.)

4th side quest gets The Tower of Barad-Dur (Immune to player card effects. The players cannot travel here. Each player's threat elimination level is reduced by 5.)

"Each player places 8 cards from top of his deck under the quest deck and each side quest in play."

Under quest deck: 2x Gondorian Shield, 2x Gandalf's Staff, Silver Circlet, War Axe, Shadowfax, Unexpected Courage

Under SQ1: 2x Snowmane, Golden Belt, Firefoot, Ancestral Armor, Light of Valinor, Gandalf's Staff, Strider

Under SQ2: Feint, Shadowfax, Snowmane, Herugrim, Gondorian Shield, Rivendell Blade, Light of Valinor, Wizard Pipe

Under SQ3: 2x Round Shield, Warrior Sword, Silver Circlet, Wizard Pipe, Light of Valinor, Quick Strike, Dagger of Westernesse

Under SQ4: Unexpected Courage, Strider, Wizard Pipe, Round Shield, The Galadhrim's Greeting, Raiment of War, Herugrim

Quite the setup. Onward to 1B (3 QP).

Thane Ulchor cannot leave the staging area.

While there are at least 3 progress tokens on this stage, it cannot be chosen as the current quest during the quest phase.

This stage cannot be defeated unless it is the end of the round and there are 3 Castle side quests in the victory display.

Turn 1

Engaged with Ulchor's Guard (25 engagement cost, 2 threat, 4 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points.)

RP: Draws Song of Travel (reveals Dagger of Westernesse)

PP: Plays Dagger of Westernesse from the top of the deck. Glorfindel buffs his attack to 4 (potentially 5). War Axe and Strider on Eowyn (now 6 WP and 2 attack). Song of Travel on Gandalf. Saves 1 resource on Eowyn (for Quick Strike).

QP. Staging Area: Thane Ulchor (1)

Decides to quest on SQ2, triggering forced effect (When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.) Puts into staging area The Armies of Mordor (Forced: After a non-unique enemy engages a player, that enemy cannot take damage until the end of the round.) Flips side quest and reveals Castle Garrison (Discard cards from the top of the encounter deck until X enemies are discarded, where X is the number of players. Add each enemy discarded this way to the staging area.) Discards 4 cards before adding to the staging area Mordor Olog-Hai (34 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 3 defense, 9 hit points. Cannot have attachments. Forced: After Mordor Olog-Hai attacks and destroys a character you control, exhaust a character you control.)

Staging area: Thane Ulchor (1), Mordor Olog-Hai (4)

Sends Eowyn and Glorfindel for 9 WP. Raises threat by 1 (26) - no Light of Valinor.

Reveals Guard Tower (2) which reads: While Guard Tower is in the staging area, players cannot draw cards or gain resources from player card effects.

9 WP vs 7 threat = 2 progress on Castle Garrison

TP: Travels to Guard Tower (Travel cost: Each player exhausts a character he controls) and exhausts Gandalf. All heroes now exhausted.

EP: No way I'm engaging Mordor Olog-Hai this early.

CP: Deals shadow to engaged Ulchor's Guard. Uses Eowyn's action, readies her and raises threat by 3 (29), plays Quick Strike and kills Ulchor's Guard (11 attack vs 1 defense and 5 hit points)

RP: raises threat by 1 (30). No hero damaged, yet.

Turn 2

RP: Draws Raiment of War (reveals Feint)

PP: Plays Rivendell Blade on Glorfindel, Unexpected Courage and Raiment of War on Gandalf, Warrior Sword on Eowyn (3 attack now, 4 or 5 when engaged with an enemy or two). Each hero now has two restricted attachments.

QP. Staging area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1), Mordor Olog-Hai (4)

Exhausts Eowyn and Glorfindel to quest on Castle Garrison which has 6 quest points. 9 WP + 1 threat penalty (31).

Reveals Catacombs (4) with text: While Catacombs is in the staging area, enemies in the staging area cannot take damage.

9 WP vs 9 threat = 0 progress

EP: Forced to engage Mordor Olog-Hai to remove threat from the staging area.

CP: Deals shadow to Mordor Olog-Hai, Gandalf defends with 4. Shadow card is The Dark Lord's Reach with effect: Discard an attachment you control. Discards Song of Travel. Gandalf suffers 2 damage. Nothing else I can do, Mordor Olog-Hai cannot take damage because of the forced effect on The Armies of Mordor in the staging area. Plus, I would've done just 1 damage and he has 9 hit points!

RP: raises threat by 1 (32) and flips the contract (Gandalf 5WP, Eowyn 8 WP, Glorfindel 5 WP)

Turn 3

RP: Draws Feint (reveals the last card in the deck, Firefoot)

PP: Plays Firefoot from the top of the deck on Eowyn (9 WP, 5 attack now). Pays with Gandalf's resource, saving Eowyn's for Feint.

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1), Catacombs (4)

Exhausts Eowyn and Glorfindel to quest on Castle Garrison which has 6 quest points. 14 WP + 1 threat penalty (32).

Reveals Soldier of Nurn (28 engagement cost, 2 threat, 3 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points. Forced: After Soldier of Nurn attacks, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest.)

14 WP vs 7 threat = 7 progress (4 on Guard Tower, 3 on Castle Garrison (5/6))

TP: Travels to Catacombs which has 4 QP. (Travel: Each player discards the top card of the encounter deck. If a player discards an enemy this way, he puts into play engaged with him.) Discards the top card, it's treachery, so no new enemies. Phew.

EP: Engages Soldier of Nurn

CP: Deals shadow to Mordor Olog-Hai and Soldier of Nurn. Plays Feint on Mordor Olog-Hai. Declares Gandalf as defender and uses Unexpected Courage to ready him. No shadow effect (Plaza of Nurn). 3 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage on Gandalf. I don't place 1 card from my hand facedown under a Castle side quest because I don't have any in my hand. My hand and my deck are empty. Gandalf whacks Mordor Olog-Hai (3 defense) and does 1 damage. Splendid! Uses the contract and heals Gandalf for 1 damage. 1 remaining.

RP: raises threat by 1 (33)

Turn 4

RP: nothing happens, my deck is gone!

PP: nothing happens, my hand is gone!

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1)

Exhausts Eowyn and Glorfindel to quest on Castle Garrison which has 6 quest points. 14 WP + 1 threat penalty (34).

Reveals Guard Dogs (12 engagement cost, 1 threat, 2 attack, 1 defense and 2 hit points. Surge. Forced: After Guard Dogs engages you, deal 1 damage to a character you control.) surges into yet another Catacombs (4). Unbelievable!

14 WP vs 6 threat = 8 progress (4 on Catacombs, 4 on Castle Garrison).

Castle Garrison goes to the victory display and Thane Ulchor gets +1 threat. I get back Feint, Shadowfax, Snowmane, Herugrim, Gondorian Shield, Rivendell Blade, Light of Valinor, Wizard Pipe. I shuffle the cards into an empty deck and draw Light of Valinor (Ouch! Was hoping for Feint.)

TP: Travels to Catacombs which has 4 QP. (Travel: Each player discards the top card of the encounter deck. If a player discards an enemy this way, he puts into play engaged with him.) Discards the top card, it's locations, so no new enemies. Again, phew.

EP: Engages Guard Dogs. Forced effect trigger, deals 1 damage to Eowyn.

CP: Deals shadow cards to Mordor Olog-Hai, Soldier of Nurn and Guard Dogs. Declares Gandalf as defender against Mordor Olog-Hai and uses Unexpected Courage to ready him. 6 attack against 4 defense = 2 damage (now 3/6 damage). No shadow effect. Guard Dogs attack goes undefended. Shadow effect: Attacking enemy gets +1 attack for each Castle side quest in the victory display. Ouch. 3 damage on Glorfindel (3/5). Gandalf defends Soldier of Nurn. 3 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage. Shadow effect: If this attack destroys a character, resolve the Travel effect on the active location. Nothing happens. But because of the forced effect on Soldier of Nurn, I must put my hard won Light of Valinor under SQ4. No cards in hand. Again!

Uses the contract to heal heroes (Gandalf 2/6, Eowyn 0, Glorfindel 2/5)

RP: raises threat by 1 (35)

Turn 5

RP: Draws Shadowfax (reveals Rivendell Blade)

PP: Plays Rivendell Blade form the top of the deck on Glorfindel (6 WP now), and reveals Herugrim. Plays Shadowfax on Gandalf.

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (2)

Exhausts Eowyn to quest on main quest (3 QP) for 9 WP.

Reveals treachery Ulchor's Rage with the text: Thane Ulchor makes an immediate attack against the first player. If no attack is made this way, Ulchor's Rage gains surge. Perfect! Deals shadow to Ulchor and declares Gandalf as defender. Uses Shadowfax to ready him. Shadow card is another Ulchor's Rage with the effect Deal 1 damage to the defending character. Gandalf now 3/6. 6 attack vs 4 defense = 2 damage. Gandalf 5/6.

Because of Ulchor's forced effect (After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck) reveals Ulchor's Guard (how appropriate!).

Staging area now has The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (2), Ulchor's Guard (2)

9 WP vs 4 threat = 5 progress on main quest

EP: Engages Ulchor's Guard.

CP: Deals shadow to Mordor Olog-Hai, Soldier of Nurn, Ulchor's Guard, and Guard Dogs. Exhausts contract to heal 1 damage off of Gandalf (4/6) and Glorfindel (1/5). Guard Dogs attack goes undefended. Shadow is Ulchor's Rage (again!). 2 damage on Glorfindel (3/5). Gandalf defends Soldier of Nurn. 3 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage. No shadow. Gandalf defends against Mordor Olog-Hai which gets Mordor Olog-Hai for a shadow card. Its effect: Attacking enemy gets +2 attack. That's 8 attack vs 4 defense = 4 damage. Dead Wizard. Game over.

What a spectacular defeat. Next time I'll try with my other 3 Hunters deck. Well, that was a small sample of the quest. At the end, I felt I barely scratched the surface.

Is there an end to the story?

You mean in the rule sheet?

Yep, in the accompanying story notes.

Bearing in mind this is the last AP before hiatus, I just wondered if they brought it to a final conclusion.

Rip, lotr lcg...

Sure looks hard! Your deck even had a good start with completing the contract early!

3 hours ago, Preotet said:

SETUP

1A: Players decks cannot exceed 50 cards. Create the Power of Mordor deck (see insert) and set it next to the quest deck. Each player puts 1 copy of Ulchor's Guard into play engaged with him. Add Thane Ulchor and all 4 copies of the Storm the Castle side quest to the staging area. Place the top card of The Power of Mordor deck faceup under each side quest in play. Each player places 8 cards from top of his deck under the quest deck and each side quest in play.

*Thane Ulchor = 0 engagement cost, X threat, 6 attack, 4 defense, 12 hit points. Immune to player card effects. X is 1 more than the number of Castle side quests in the victory display. Forced: After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck.]

*Storm the Castle side quests have all the same text on the front side. You charge into the castle, not knowing what you will find within ... The faceup encounter card underneath this quest is not in play. Forced: When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.

"Place the top card of The Power of Mordor deck faceup under each side quest in play."

1st side quest gets Covered in Darkness (Doomed 5. Each player's threat cannot be reduced by more than 1 each round by player card effects.)

2nd side quest gets The Armies of Mordor (Forced: After a non-unique enemy engages a player, that enemy cannot take damage until the end of the round.)

3rd side quest gets Khamul the Easterling (49 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 4 defense and 9 hit points. Immune to player card effects. Khamul the Easterling engages the first player. Only the engaged player can declare attackers or defenders against Khamul the Easterling.)

4th side quest gets The Tower of Barad-Dur (Immune to player card effects. The players cannot travel here. Each player's threat elimination level is reduced by 5.)

"Each player places 8 cards from top of his deck under the quest deck and each side quest in play."

Under quest deck: 2x Gondorian Shield, 2x Gandalf's Staff, Silver Circlet, War Axe, Shadowfax, Unexpected Courage

Under SQ1: 2x Snowmane, Golden Belt, Firefoot, Ancestral Armor, Light of Valinor, Gandalf's Staff, Strider

Under SQ2: Feint, Shadowfax, Snowmane, Herugrim, Gondorian Shield, Rivendell Blade, Light of Valinor, Wizard Pipe

Under SQ3: 2x Round Shield, Warrior Sword, Silver Circlet, Wizard Pipe, Light of Valinor, Quick Strike, Dagger of Westernesse

Under SQ4: Unexpected Courage, Strider, Wizard Pipe, Round Shield, The Galadhrim's Greeting, Raiment of War, Herugrim

Quite the setup. Onward to 1B (3 QP).

While there are at least 3 progress tokens on this stage, it cannot be chosen as the current quest during the quest phase.

This stage cannot be defeated unless it is the end of the round and there are 3 Castle side quests in the victory display.

Quite brutal, basically you have to make do with 10 cards (including the 6 from the starting hand) and you never know what you will reveal from those pesky side quest (besides the Power of Mordor cards). Many deck will indeed struggle if they lose some key pieces to the fickle gods of chance.

GAME 2

Forth, the Three Hunters! ( Beregond , Eowyn , Glorfindel )

50 cards deck, starting threat 21

Initial draw: 3x Snowmane, Light of Valinor, Unexpected Courage, Raiment of War. Ha, I'm going to keep it.

SETUP

1st side quest gets Khamul the Easterling (49 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 4 defense and 9 hit points. Immune to player card effects. Khamul the Easterling engages the first player. Only the engaged player can declare attackers or defenders against Khamul the Easterling.)

2nd side quest gets The Tower of Barad-Dur (Immune to player card effects. The players cannot travel here. Each player's threat elimination level is reduced by 5.)

3rd side quest gets Covered in Darkness (Doomed 5. Each player's threat cannot be reduced by more than 1 each round by player card effects.)

4th side quest gets Under the Watchful Eye (When Revealed: Each player with more than 5 cards in his hand discards cards from his hand until he has only 5. [hahaha, the most I ever had were 3 cards] Forced: After a player draws any number of cards, he raises his threat by 1.)

Under the quest deck (meaning, out of the game): Dagger of Westernesse, Unexpected Courage, Rivendell Blade, Quick Strike, Livery of the Tower, Round Shield, Gondorian Shield, Hasty Stroke

Under the SQ1: Feint, Firefoot, Foe-Hammer, Herugrim, Golden Belt, Livery of the Tower, Dagger of Westernesse, A Test of Will

Under the SQ2: Strider, Rivendell Blade, Round Shield, Gondorian Shield, War Axe, Warrior Sword, Unexpected Courage, Light of Valinor

Under the SQ3: Warrior Sword, Herugrim, Golden Belt, Foe-Hammer, Hasty Stroke, Raiment of War, Round Shield, Quick Strike

Under the SQ4: Firefoot, Gondorian Shield, War Axe, Warrior Sword, Golden Belt, 2x Strider, Herugrim (these are the cards I'll be wanting first)

1B (3 QP).

Turn 1

Engaged with Ulchor's Guard (25 engagement cost, 2 threat, 4 attack, 1 defense, 5 hit points.)

RP. Cards in hand: 3x Snowmane, Light of Valinor, Unexpected Courage, Raiment of War. Draws Dagger of Westernesse.

PP. Plays Light of Valinor, Dagger of Westernesse on Glorfindel (4 or 5 attack now), Snowmane of Eowyn , Raiment of War on Beregond (5 defense). Solid start.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 7 WP on the main quest (3 QP). Want to give myself a bit of a breathing room.

Reveals Soldier of Nurn ( 8 engagement cost, 2 threat, 3 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points. Forced: After Soldier of Nurn attacks, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest. )

After staging: Thane Ulcho r (1), Soldier of Nurn (2)

7 WP vs 3 threat = 4 progress on the main quest (4/3). Readies Eowyn because of Snowmane.

TP. /

EP. Doesn't engage Soldier of Nurn.

CP. Deals shadow to Ulchor's Guard . Beregond defends, shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack for each Castle side quest in the victory display. 4 attack vs 5 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat because of Beregond's ability (20). Glorfindel and Eowyn take care of Ulchor's Guard. 6 attack vs 1 defense/5 hit points = death and destruction.

RP: raises threat by 1 (21).

Turn 2

RP. Cards in hand: 2x Snowmane, Unexpected Courage. Draws Light of Valinor.

PP. Plays Unexpected Courage on Beregond . Now we're talkin'. This is it. This is gonna be THE game. Beregond for the win.

QP. Staging area: Thane Ulchor (1), Soldier of Nurn (2)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 7 WP on Storm the Castle no. 4, where all the goodies await (Firefoot, Gondorian Shield, War Axe, Warrior Sword, Golden Belt, 2x Strider, Herugrim). ****, yeah. I'm unstoppable.

Adds Under the Watchful Eye (When Revealed: Each player with more than 5 cards in his hand discards cards from his hand until he has only 5. Forced: After a player draws any number of cards, he raises his threat by 1.) to the staging area. Doesn't discard any cards, only 3 in hand.

Flips Storm the Castle.

No Quarter (12 QP) . Each player randomly discards 4 of his cards from under this quest. Then, each player discards each card he controls, or holds in his hand, that share a title with one of the cards just discarded. When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner's deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.

You gotta be kidding me!

Discards Warrior Sword , Herugrim , War Axe and Gondorian Shield - basically cards I really, really needed. Cruel move, game. Cruel.

Reveals Plaza of Nurn (X) with the text: X is 1 more than the number of Castle side quests in the victory display.

After staging: Under the Watchful Eye , Thane Ulchor (1), Soldier of Nurn (2), Plaza of Nurn (1)

7 WP vs 4 threat = 3 progress on No Quarter (3/12). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Plaza of Nurn (Travel: Each player assigns X damage among characters he controls.) Glorfindel bravely takes it on the chin (1/5).

EP. Engages Soldier of Nurn.

CP. Deals shadow to Soldier of Nurn . Beregond defends, uses Unexpected Courage for the ready, shadow none. 3 attack vs 5 defense = Beregond's merry laugther. -1 threat (20). I can do this all day. Puts Snowmane under No Quarter ( After Soldier of Nurn attacks, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest). Glorfindel for the kill. Soldier of Nurn is no more.

Turn 3

RP. Cards in hand: Snowmane, Light of Valinor. Draws Hasty Stroke and raises threat by 1 (22) because of Under the Watchful Eye .

PP. Nothing to play, man.

QP. Staging area: Under the Watchful Eye, Thane Ulchor (1).

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 7 WP on No Quarter (3/12).

Reveals Side Street (3) with the text: While Side Street is in the staging area, progress cannot be placed on other locations in the staging area.

After staging: Under the Watchful Eye , Thane Ulchor (1), Side Street (3)

7 WP vs 4 threat = 3 progress on Plaza of Nurn (3/5)

TP. /

EP. /

CP. /

RP. Raises threat by 1 (23)

Turn 4

RP. Cards in hand: Snowmane, Light of Valinor, Hasty Stroke. Draws the last card, Feint, and raises threat by 1 (24) because of Under the Watchful Eye .

PP. /

QP. Staging area: Under the Watchful Eye, Thane Ulchor (1), Side Street (3)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 7 WP on No Quarter (3/12).

Reveals Fortress Walls (3) with the text While Fortress Walls is in the staging area, the cost to play each ally is increased by 1.

After Staging: Under the Watchful Eye , Thane Ulchor (1), Side Street (3), Fortress Walls (3)

7 WP vs 7 threat.

GAME OVER.

Edited by Preotet
2 hours ago, Preotet said:

Each player places 8 cards from top of his deck under the quest deck and each side quest in play."

Question, by the setup rules do you know which cards go under which quest?

Ha, I've been playing it wrong this whole time, most likely. For Mordor deck it says faceup, but nothing for player cards. Dang it. Ok. So the quest just got upgraded from extremely hard to impossible. Good catch. Thank you. 😃

So you don't know the good and the bad (Mordor deck aside) under each quest. Really brutal. If you ever manage to clear one of those side quest the card are put in the deck or in hand?

They get shuffled in the deck, then you get to draw 1 card.

Edited by Preotet
1 hour ago, Preotet said:

then you get to draw 1 card.

Such magnanimity 🤣

GAME 3

Initial draw: Strider, Herugrim, Firefoot, Warrior Sword, Light of Valinor, Dagger of Westernesse. After a thought I decide to keep my hand. But lack of attachments for Beregond is concerning.

SETUP

1st side quest gets The Armies of Mordor (Forced: After a non-unique enemy engages a player, that enemy cannot take damage until the end of the round.)

2nd side quest gets Khamul the Easterling (49 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 4 defense and 9 hit points. Immune to player card effects. Khamul the Easterling engages the first player. Only the engaged player can declare attackers or defenders against Khamul the Easterling.)

3rd side quest gets Covered in Darkness (Doomed 5. Each player's threat cannot be reduced by more than 1 each round by player card effects.)

4th side quest gets Under the Watchful Eye (When Revealed: Each player with more than 5 cards in his hand discards cards from his hand until he has only 5. [hahaha, the most I ever had were 3 cards] Forced: After a player draws any number of cards, he raises his threat by 1.)

ROUND 1

Engaged with Ulchor's Guard (25 engagement cost, 2 threat, 4 attack, 1 defense, 5 hit points.)

RP. Cards in hand: Strider, Herugrim, Firefoot, Warrior Sword, Light of Valinor, Dagger of Westernesse. Draws Snowmane. Beregond 1 resource (keeping track because of Livery)

PP. Plays Light of Valinor, Warrior Sword on Glorfindel (4, 5 maybe even 6 attack now), Snowmane and Strider on Eowyn (her WP now 6).

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 9 WP on the main quest, Assault on Dol Rhugar (3 QP). You know, breathing room.

Reveals Guard Tower ( 2) which reads: While Guard Tower is in the staging area, players cannot draw cards or gain resources from player card effects.

After staging: Thane Ulcho r (1), Guard Tower (2)

9 WP vs 3 threat = 4 progress on the main quest (4/3). Readies Eowyn because of Snowmane.

TP. Travels to Guard Tower (Travel: Each player exhaust a character he controls). Exhausts Eowyn .

EP. /

CP. Deals shadow to Ulchor's Guard . Beregond defends, shadow Discard an attachment you control. Great. Off to a flying start. 4 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat because of Beregond's ability (20). Glorfindel flails with his weaponless hands and deals 2 damage to Ulchor’s Guard (2/5).

ROUND 2

Engaged with Ulchor's Guard.

RP. Cards in hand: Herugrim, Firefoot, Dagger of Westernesse. Draws Warrior Sword. Ha!

PP. Plays Warrior Sword on Glorfindel , Herugrim on Eowyn . Beregond 1 resource.

Chooses Storm the Castle no. 1, triggering forced effect (When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.) Puts into staging area The Armies of Mordor (Forced: After a non-unique enemy engages a player, that enemy cannot take damage until the end of the round.) Flips side quest and reveals Lethal Counterattack (When Revealed: Deal 1 damage to each character in play. When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player cards underneath it into its owner’s deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.) Beregond (1/4) Eowyn (1/3) Glorfindel (1/5).

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 9 WP on Lethal Counterattack (10 QP).

Reveals Guard Dogs (12 engagement cost, 1 threat, 2 attack, 1 defense and 2 hit points. Surge. Forced: After Guard Dogs engages you, deal 1 damage to a character you control.) which surges into Guard Dogs which surges into Fortress Walls (3) with the text While Fortress Walls is in the staging area, the cost to play each ally is increased by 1.

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (1), Guard Dogs (1), Guard Dogs (1), Fortress Wall (3)

9 WP vs 6 threat = 3 progress on Guard Tower (3/4). Readies Eowyn .

TP. /

EP. Engages both Guard Dogs.

CP. Deals shadow to Ulchor's Guard , Guard Dogs , and Guard Dogs . Beregond suffers 2 damage because of forced effect on Dogs (3/4). Deals shadow cards. Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard, no shadow. 4 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (20). Glorfindel defends against Guard Dogs, no shadow. 2 attack vs 1 defense = 1 damage (2/5). Second Guard Dogs undefended, no shadow. Phew. Glorfindel gets bitten (4/5). Eowyn kills Ulchor’s Guard.

ROUND 3

Engaged with 2x Guard Dogs. Beregond (3/4) Eowyn (1/3) Glorfindel (4/5).

RP. Cards in hand: Firefoot, Dagger of Westernesse. Draws Raiment of War on Beregond (now 5 defense and 5 hit points). Tears of joy.

PP. Plays Dagger of Westernesse on Glorfindel (min. 5, max 8 attack), Herugrim on Eowyn . Beregond 2 resource.

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1), Fortress Walls (3)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 9 WP on Lethal Counterattack (10 QP)

Reveals Ulchor’s Guard (2).

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (1), Fortress Wall (3), Ulchor’s Guard (2)

9 WP vs 6 threat = 3 progress (1 on Guard Tower, 2 on Lethal Counterattack (2/10).

TP. Forgets to travel to Fortress Wall.

EP. Cannot engage Ulchor’s Guard. Too dangerous.

CP. Deals shadow to both Guard Dogs . Eowyn defends Guard Dogs, shadow If this attack destroys a character, resolve the Travel effect on the active location. 2 attack vs 1 defense = 1 damage (2/3). Beregond defends Guard Dogs, shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack. If this attack destroys a character, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest. 3 attack vs 5 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (20). All day, I tell ya. Glorfindel kills one of the Guard Dogs.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (21), flips contract (Beregond 2 WP, Eowyn 8 WP, Glorfindel 5 WP)

ROUND 4

Engaged with Guard Dogs. Beregond (3/5), Eowyn (2/3), Glorfindel (4/5).

RP. Cards in hand: Firefoot. Draws Strider. Heals all heroes for 1. Beregond 3 resources.

PP. Plays Firefoot on Eowyn . (9 WP, min. 2, max. 11 attack)

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1), Fortress Walls (3), Ulchor’s Guard (2)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on Lethal Counterattack (2/10)

Reveals Side Street (2) which reads While Side Street is in the staging area, progress cannot be placed on other locations in the staging area.

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (1), Fortress Wall (3), Ulchor’s Guard (2), Side Street (3)

14 WP vs 9 threat = 5 progress Lethal Counterattack (7/10). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Finally travels to Fortress Wall (Travel: Each player places 1 card from his hand facedown under a Castle side quest). 6 QP.

EP. Still doesn’t engage Ulchor’s Guard. Too dangerous.

CP. Deals shadow to Guard Dogs . Beregond defends, shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack for each Castle side quest in the victory display. 3 attack vs 5 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (20). Eowyn kills the curs.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (21).

ROUND 5

Beregond (2/5), Eowyn (1/3), Glorfindel (3/5).

RP. No cards in hand, empty draw deck. Heals all heroes for 1. Beregond 4 resources.

PP. /

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1), Ulchor’s Guard (2), Side Street (3)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on Lethal Counterattack (7/10)

Reveals Ulchor’s Rage (When Revealed: Thane Ulchor makes an immediate attack against the first player. If no attack is made this way, Ulchor’s Rage gains surge.) Beregond defends, no shadow. 6 attack vs 5 defense = 1 damage (2/5).

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (1), Ulchor’s Guard (2), Side Street (3)

14 WP vs 6 threat = 8 progress (6 on Fortress Wall (6/6) and 2 on Lethal Counterattack (9/10). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Side Street (Travel: Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck and discard cards until a location is discarded. Add that location to the staging area). Adds to the staging area Plaza of Nurn (X) which reads X is 1 more than the number of Castle side quests in the victory display.

EP. Still doesn’t engage Ulchor’s Guard. Nope. No way.

CP. /

RP. Raises threat by 1 (22).

ROUND 6

Beregond (2/5), Glorfindel (2/5).

RP. No cards in hand, empty draw deck. Heals two heroes for 1. Beregond 5 resources.

PP. /

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1), Ulchor’s Guard (2), Plaza of Nurn (1)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on Lethal Counterattack (7/10)

Reveals Determined Defense (When Revealed: Until the end of the phase, add 2 threat to the staging area. Add 2 additional threat for each Castle side quest in the victory display.)

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (1), Ulchor’s Guard (2), Plaza of Nurn (1) + 2 threat

14 WP vs 6 threat = 8 progress (3 on Side Street and 5 on Lethal Counterattack (14/10). Readies Eowyn .

“When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner’s deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.”

Does that and draws Snowmane.

TP. Travels to Plaza of Nurn (Travel: Each player assigns X damage among characters he controls). Eowyn (1/3) and Glorfindel (2/5).

EP. Engages Ulchor’s Guard.

CP. Deals shadow to Ulchor’s Guard . Beregond defends, no shadow. 4 attack vs 5 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (21). Cannot attack the Guard because of the The Armies of Mordor.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (22).

ROUND 7

Engaged with Ulchor’s Guard. Beregond (1/5), Eowyn (1/3) Glorfindel (2/5).

RP. Cards in hand Snowmane, draws Feint. Heals all heroes for 1. Beregond 6 resources.

PP. /

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Thane Ulchor (1)

Chooses Storm the Castle no. 3 triggering forced effect (When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.) Puts into staging area Covered in Darkness (Doomed 5. Each player's threat cannot be reduced by more than 1 each round by player card effects.) Raises threat by 5 (27). Flips side quest and reveals Castle Garrison (When Revealed: Discard cards from the top of the encounter deck until X enemies are discarded, where X is the number of players. Add each enemy discarded this way to the staging area.. When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player cards underneath it into its owner’s deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.) Adds to the staging area Easterling Mercenary (32 engagement cost, 3 threat, 4 attack, 2 defense, 3 hit points. When Revealed: Either reveal an additional encounter card, or no progress can be placed on the current quest this phase.)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on Castle Garrison (6 QP).

Reveals Ulchor’s Rage (When Revealed: Thane Ulchor makes an immediate attack against the first player. If no attack is made this way, Ulchor’s Rage gains surge.) Beregond defends, shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 attack . 8 attack vs 5 defense = 3 damage (3/5).

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (2), Easterling Mercenary (3)

14 WP vs 5 threat = 9 progress (5 on Plaza of Nurn and 4 on Castle Garrison (4/6). Readies Eowyn .

TP. /

EP. Does not engage Easterling Mercenary.

CP. Deals shadow to Ulchor’s Guard . Glorfindel defends (Beregond’s exhausted), shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 defense until the end of the phase . 4 attack vs 1 defense = 3 damage (4/5). Eowyn attacks for 11 and Ulchor’s Guard is no more.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (28).

ROUND 8

Beregond (3/5), Glorfindel (4/5).

RP. Cards in hand Snowmane, Feint, draws Unexpected Courage. Heals heroes. Beregond 7 resources.

PP. Plays Unexpected Courage on Beregond .

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, Thane Ulchor (2), Easterling Mercenary (3)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on Castle Garrison (4/6)

Reveals Ulchor’s Guard (2)

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (2), Easterling Mercenary (3), Ulchor’s Guard (2)

14 WP vs 7 threat = 7 progress on Castle Garrison (11/6). Readies Eowyn .

“When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner’s deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.”

Does that and draws Livery of the Tower. (Yessssssssssssss!)

TP. /

EP. Engages Ulchor’s Guard.

CP. Deals shadow to Ulchor’s Guard . Beregond defends, no shadow. 4 attack vs 5 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (27). Cannot attack because of The Armies of Mordor.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (28).

ROUND 9

Beregond (2/5), Glorfindel (3/5).

RP. Cards in hand Snowmane, Feint, draws Unexpected Courage. Heals heroes. Beregond 8 resources.

PP. Plays Unexpected Courage and Livery of the Tower on Beregond (3 WP, hehe).

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, Thane Ulchor (3), Easterling Mercenary (3)

Chooses Storm the Castle no. 2, triggering forced effect (When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.) Adds to the staging area Khamul the Easterling (49 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 4 defense and 9 hit points. Immune to player card effects. Khamul the Easterling engages the first player. Only the engaged player can declare attackers or defenders against Khamul the Easterling.)

Engages Khamul the Easterling.

Flips the quest, revealing No Quarter (When Revealed: Each player randomly discards 4 of his cards from under this quest. Then, each player discards each card he controls, or holds in his hand, that share a title with one of the cards just discarded. When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner's deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.)

Randomly discards Raiment of War, Light of Valinor, Dagger of Westernesse, and Feint. Well, well. It just so happens I have Raiment of War on Beregond, Light of Valinor, Dagger of Westernesse on Glorfindel, and Feint in hand. All those precious cards discarded. Morale at all-time low. Beregond now at 1 WP and back to 4 defense. Glorfindel now at 4 WP and without Light of Valinor. Devastating blow, I’d say. Impossible to recover.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 13 WP on No Quarter (12 QP), +1 threat (29)

Reveals Guard Dogs (1) which surges into Guard Tower (2).

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (3), Easterling Mercenary (3), Guard Dogs (1), Guard Tower (2)

13 WP vs 9 threat = 4 progress on No Quarter (4/12). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Guard Tower (Travel: Each player exhausts a character he controls.) Exhausts Beregond and readies him with Unexpected Courage.

EP. Engages Guard Dogs.

CP. Deals shadow to Khamul the Easterling , Ulchor’s Guard , and Guard Dogs . Beregond defends Khamul, no shadow. 6 attack vs 4 defense and Livery = 0 damage (6 resources), -1 threat (28). Readies him with Unexpected Courage so he can defend Ulchor’s Guard, no shadow. 4 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage. Guard Dogs undefended, shadow If this attack destroys a character, resolve the Travel effect on the active location. Eowyn takes 2 damage (2/3). Shocked at this insolence, she immediately overkills Ulchor’s Guard.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (29).

ROUND 10

Engaged with Khamul the Easterling and Guard Dogs. Beregond (1/5), Eowyn (2/3) Glorfindel (2/5).

RP. Card in hand Snowmane, draws Golden Belt. Heals heroes. Beregond 7 resources.

PP. Plays Golden Belt on Eowyn .

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, Thane Ulchor (3), Easterling Mercenary (3)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 13 WP on No Quarter (4/12), +1 threat (30)

Reveals Guard Tower (2).

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (3), Easterling Mercenary (3), Guard Tower (2)

13 WP vs 8 threat = 5 progress (4 on Guard Tower and 1 on No Quarter (5/12)). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Guard Tower (Travel: Each player exhausts a character he controls.) Exhausts Beregond and readies him with Unexpected Courage.

EP. Engages Guard Dogs.

CP. Deals shadow to Khamul the Easterling and Guard Dogs . Beregond defends Guard Dogs, no shadow. 2 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (29). Readies him with Unexpected Courage so he can defend Khamul, shadow Exhaust a character you control . Exhausts Eowyn . 6 attack vs 4 defense + Livery = 0 damage (5 resources).

RP. Raises threat by 1 (30).

ROUND 11

Engaged with Khamul the Easterling and Guard Dogs. Beregond (0/5), Eowyn (1/3) Glorfindel (1/5).

RP. Card in hand Snowmane, draws Strider. Heals heroes. Beregond 6 resources.

PP. /

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 13 WP on No Quarter (5/12), +1 threat (31)

Reveals Fortress Wall (3).

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (3), Easterling Mercenary (3), Fortress Wall (3)

13 WP vs 9 threat = 4 progress (4 on Guard Tower (4/4) and 0 on No Quarter (5/12)). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Fortress Wall (Travel: Each player places 1 card from his hand facedown under a Castle side quest). Places Strider under No Quarter.

EP. Does not engage Easterling Mercenary.

CP. Deals shadow to Khamul the Easterling and Guard Dogs . Beregond defends Khamul, shadow Discard and attachment you control . Discards Snowmane from Eowyn. 6 attack vs 4 defense + Livery = 0 damage (4 resources), -1 threat (30). Readies him with Unexpected Courage so he can defend Guard Dogs, no shadow. Eowyn attacks Khamul and does 6 damage (6/9). Beregond attacks Guard Dogs and does 1 damage (1/2)

RP. Raises threat by 1 (31).

ROUND 12

Engaged with Khamul the Easterling and Guard Dogs. All heroes back to full health. It only took 12 rounds.

RP. Card in hand Snowmane, draws Gondorian Shield. Beregond 5 resources.

PP. Plays Gondorian Shield on Beregond (6 defense now), Snowmane on Eowyn (back to 9 WP).

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 13 WP on No Quarter (5/12), +1 threat (32)

Reveals Soldier of Nurn ( 8 engagement cost, 2 threat, 3 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points. Forced: After Soldier of Nurn attacks, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest .)

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (3), Easterling Mercenary (3), Soldier of Nurn (2)

13 WP vs 8 threat = 5 progress Fortress Wall (5/6). Readies Eowyn .

TP. /

CP. Deals shadow to Khamul the Easterling , Soldier of Nurn , and Guard Dogs . Beregond defends Khamul, shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 defense until the end of the phase . That’s 6 defense now. 6 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (31). Defends Soldier of Nurn, no shadow. 3 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. Defends Guard Dogs, shadow If this attack destroys a character, resolve the Travel effect on the active location. Eowyn attacks Khamul and does 5 damage. 3 on Khamul (9/9) and 1 on Guard Dogs. Both enemies dead.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (32).

ROUND 13

Engaged with Soldier of Nurn

RP. No cards in hand, draws War Axe. Beregond 6 resources.

PP. Plays War Axe on Eowyn (10 WP, min. 6, max. 16 attack).

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on No Quarter (5/12), +1 threat (33)

Reveals Easterling Mercenary . Forced effect happens because I don’t want to reveal an encounter card.

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (3), Easterling Mercenary (3), Easterling Mercenary (3)

13 WP vs 9 threat = 5 progress. 1 on Fortress Wall (6/6), 4 are lost. Readies Eowyn .

TP. /

EP. Engages both Easterling Mercenary.

CP. Deals shadow to both Easterling Mercenary and Soldier of Nurn . Beregond defends Soldier of Nurn, shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack. If this attack destroys a character, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest . 3 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (32). First Mercenary, no shadow. 4 vs 6 = 0. Second Mercenary, shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 attack. 6 vs 6 = 0. Eowyn kills Soldier of Nurn.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (33).

ROUND 14

Engaged with 2x Easterling Mercenary.

RP. No cards in hand, draws Livery of the Tower. Beregond 7 resources.

PP. Plays Livery of the Tower on Beregond . He now has two copies and he’s back to 3 WP.

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, Thane Ulchor (3)

Quests with Eowyn 10 WP on No Quarter (5/12).

Reveals Under Guard (When Revealed: Resolve the Travel effect on the active location. If there is no active location, discard cards from the encounter deck until a location is discarded. Add that location to the staging area.) Discards cards and adds Plaza of Nurn (now 3).

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (3), Plaza of Nurn (3)

10 WP vs 6 threat = 4 progress on No Quarter (9/12). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Plaza of Nurn (Travel: Each player assigns X damage among characters he controls.) Damages each of the heroes, then heals them with the contract.

EP. /

CP. Deals shadow to just one Easterling Mercenary because the deck is empty. Beregond defends first Mercenary, shadow Discard an attachment you control . Discard one of the Livery of the Tower from Beregond. 4 vs 6 = 0 damage, -1 threat (32). Second Mercenary, 4 vs 6 = 0. Eowyn kills both of them, 16 – 5 – 5 = still 6 damage left. J

RP. Raises threat by 1 (33).

ROUND 15

RP. No cards in hand, draws Hasty Stroke. Beregond 8 resources.

PP. /

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, Thane Ulchor (3)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on No Quarter (9/12), +1 threat (34)

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , Thane Ulcho r (3), Fortress Wall (3)

14 WP vs 6 threat = 8 progress on No Quarter (17/12). Readies Eowyn .

“When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player cards underneath it into its owner’s deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.”

Does that and draws Unexpected Courage. Ha, most unexpected. But fine, I’ll take it.

TP. Travels to Fortress Wall (Travel: Each player places 1 card from his hand facedown under a Castle side quest.) Puts Hasty Stroke under Storm the Castle no. 4.

EP. /

CP. /

RP. Raises threat by 1 (35).

1B triggers: This stage cannot be defeated unless it is the end of the round and there are 3 Castle side quests in the victory display.

The Final Confrontation

1B

When Revealed: Reveal the top card of The Power of Mordor deck. Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck. Thane Ulchor makes and immediate attack against each player in turn order.

Reveals and adds to the staging area The Tower of Barad-Dur (5) with the text: Immune to player card effects. The players cannot travel here. Each player’s threat eliminations level is reduced by 5.

Shuffles cards and deals shadow card to Thane Ulchor. Beregond defends, no shadow. 6 vs 6 = 0. Forced: After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck. Reveals Mordor Olog-Hai ( 34 enga gement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 3 defense, 9 hit points. Cannot have attachments. Forced: After Mordor Olog-Hai attacks and destroys a character you control, exhaust a character you control. )

2B (12 QP)

Encounter card effects cannot be canceled.

The number of damage tokens on Thane Ulchor cannot exceed the number of progress tokens here.

When Thane Ulchor is defeated, the players win the game.

ROUND 16

RP. Card in hand Unexpected Courage, draws Firefoot. Beregond 9 resources.

PP. Plays Unexpected Courage on Beregond . He now has all three. That has never happened before.

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, The Tower of Barad-Dur (5), Thane Ulchor (4), Mordor Olog-Hai (4)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on The Final Confrontation (12), +1 threat (36)

Reveals Determined Defenses (When Revealed: Until the end of the phase, add 2 threat to the staging area. Add 2 additional threat for each Castle side quest in the victory display.). That’s 8 threat.

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , The Tower of Barad-Dur (5), Thane Ulcho r (4), Mordor Olog-Hai (4) + 8 threat

14 WP vs 21 threat = 0 progress on The Final Confrontation (0/12), +7 threat (43)

TP. /

EP. Engages Mordor Olog-Hai and Thane Ulchor.

CP. Deals shadow cards. Beregond defends Olog-Hai, shadow Put Guard Dogs into play engaged with you. 6 vs 6 = 0 damage, -1 threat (42). Thane Ulchor attacks, shadow Deal 1 damage to the defending character. 6 vs 6 = 0 damage. Beregond (1/4). After the attack reveals Guard Tower (2) and adds it to the staging area. Guard Dogs: 2 vs 6 = 0 damage. I can’t attack anyone.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (43).

ROUND 17

RP. No cards in hand, draws Quick Strike. Beregond 10 resources. Heals Beregond.

PP. /

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, The Tower of Barad-Dur (5), Guard Tower (2)

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel for 14 WP on The Final Confrontation (12), +1 threat (44)

Reveals Ulchor’s Rage (When Revealed: Thane Ulchor makes an immediate attack against the first player. If no attack is made this way, Ulchor’s Rage gains surge.) Deals shadow card. Beregond defends, no shadow. 6 vs 6 = 0 damage, -1 threat (43). Ulchor’s forced effect reveals Soldier of Nurn and adds it to the staging area.

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , The Tower of Barad-Dur (5), Guard Tower (2), Soldier of Nurn (2)

14 WP vs 9 threat = 5 progress on Fortress Wall (5/6)

TP. /

EP. Engages Soldier of Nurn

CP. Engaged with Thane Ulchor, Guard Dogs, Mordor Olog-Hai and Soldier of Nurn whom I can’t damage. Deals shadow cards. Plays Quick Strike and uses Eowyn to kill Guard Dogs and Mordor Olog-Hai. Soldier of Nurn undefended. No shadow, no damage because of Livery (7 resources). Beregond defends Thane Ulchor. Shadow Put Guard Dogs into play engaged with you. 6 vs 6 = 0 damage. Ulchor’s forced effect reveals Guard Dogs which surges into Khamul the Easterling. Khamul engages and attacks for 6. Livery saves Beregond (1 resource left). Guard Dogs attack, Livery 1, 1 damage on Beregond.

RP. Raises threat by 1 (44).

ROUND 18

RP. No cards in hand, draws Golden Belt. Beregond 1 resource. Heals Beregond.

PP. Plays Golden Belt on Beregond .

QP. Staging Area: The Armies of Mordor, Covered in Darkness, The Tower of Barad-Dur (5), Guard Tower (2), Guard Dogs (1)

Quests with Eowyn 10 WP on The Final Confrontation (12)

Reveals Side Street (3)

After staging: The Armies of Mordor , Castle Garrison , The Tower of Barad-Dur (5), Guard Tower (2), Guard Dogs (2), Side Street (3)

10 WP vs 12 threat = 0 progress +2 threat = 46 threat.

GAME OVER!

Edited by Preotet

Wow just wow. Epic.

Not sure if I missed something but when Thane Ulchor attacked you earlier on round 5 from the treachery Ulchors rage, would you have to reveal an encounter card after that attack?

That was a great playthrough write-up, this quests sounds tough!

Yep, you're right. Nice catch. Completely forgot about the trigger. I just hope this was a minor mistake which would have prolonged the game for a turn or two ... Or maybe I would have won. 🤣 🤣

Thanks a lot for these detailed playthroughs!

I second JohnG's request of storyline conclusion, if that would be possible (are there any hints on possible next stories or is it over etc)

Thanks again!

PM.

GAME 4

More like game 42. Seriously, this quest is so freaking hard. Nightmare mode 3 .

Anyways, I swapped three Hasty Strokes for 2x A Test of Will and Will of the West because I was constantly getting wrecked by treacheries.

Initial draw: A Test of Will, 2x Snowmane, Quick Strike, Will of the West, Dagger of Westernesse.

Mulligan: Feint, Gondorian Shield, Light of Valinor, Herugrim, Dagger of Westernesse, War Axe

SETUP

Storm the Castle no. 1 gets Covered in Darkness (Doomed 5. Each player's threat cannot be reduced by more than 1 each round by player card effects.)

Storm the Castle no. 2 gets The Armies of Mordor (Forced: After a non-unique enemy engages a player, that enemy cannot take damage until the end of the round.)

Storm the Castle no. 3 gets Khamul the Easterling (49 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 4 defense and 9 hit points. Immune to player card effects. Khamul the Easterling engages the first player. Only the engaged player can declare attackers or defenders against Khamul the Easterling.)

Storm the Castle no. 4 gets The Tower of Barad-Dur (5 threat. Immune to player card effects. The players cannot travel here. Each player's threat elimination level is reduced by 5. )

ROUND 1

RP. Cards in hand: Feint, Gondorian Shield, Light of Valinor, Herugrim, Dagger of Westernesse, War Axe. Draws Unexpected Courage.

PP. Plays Light of Valinor, Dagger of Westernesse on Glorfindel , War Axe on Eowyn , Gondorian Shield on Beregond (6 defense and 1 resource – keeping track because of Livery of the Tower).

QP. 1 threat in the staging area.

Quests with Eowyn (4 WP) on the main quest, Assault on Dol Rhugar (3 QP).

Reveals Catacombs (4) with the text: While Catacombs is in the staging area, enemies in the staging area cannot take damage.

After staging: Thane Ulcho r (1), Catacombs (4)

4 WP vs 5 threat = +1 threat (22), 0 progress on the main quest.

TP. Travels to Catacombs ( Travel: Each player discards the top card of the encounter deck. If a player discards an enemy this way, he puts into play engaged with him. )

Discards the top card – it’s a treachery (Under Guard, for curious minds).

EP. /

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard , shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 attack . 6 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat because of Beregond's ability (21). Glorfindel hits for 5 and deals 4 damage (4/5).

RP: Raises threat by 1 (22).

ROUND 2

Engaged with Ulchor's Guard

RP. Cards in hand: Feint, Herugrim, Unexpected Courage. Draws Foe-Hammer.

PP. Plays Unexpected Courage on Beregond (1 resource).

Quests with Eowyn (4 WP) and Glorfindel (3 WP) on the main quest.

Reveals Guard Tower (2) with the text: While Guard Tower is in the staging area, players cannot draw cards or gain resources from player card effects.

After staging: Thane Ulcho r (1), Guard Tower (2)

7 WP vs 3 threat = 4 progress on Catacombs (4/4)

TP. Travels to Guard Tower (Travel: Each player exhausts a character he controls .)

Exhausts Beregond and readies him with Unexpected Courage.

EP. /

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard , shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack. If this attack destroys a character, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest . 5 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (21).

Glorfindel hits for 5 and deals 4 damage (8/5). Guard is dead.

Decides not to use Foe-Hammer (just 2 cards in the deck; must wait for the opportune moment).

RP: Raises threat by 1 (22).

ROUND 3

RP. Cards in hand: Feint, Herugrim, Foe-Hammer. Draws Golden Belt.

PP. Plays Golden Belt and Herugrim on Eowyn . Beregond 1 resource.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on the main quest.

Reveals Under Guard (When Revealed: Resolve the Travel effect on the active location. If there is no active location, discard cards from the encounter deck until a location is discarded. Add that location to the staging area. )

Travel effect on the active location is Each player exhausts a character he controls . Exhausts Glorfindel .

After staging: Thane Ulcho r (1)

7 WP vs 1 threat = 6 progress (4 on Guard Tower (4/4), 2 on the main quest (2/3)).

TP. /

EP. /

CP. /

RP: Raises threat by 1 (23).

ROUND 4

RP. Cards in hand: Feint, Foe-Hammer. Draws the last card, Light of Valinor. Beregond 2 resources.

PP. /

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on the main quest.

Reveals Ulchor’s Guard ( 25 engagement cost, 2 threat, 4 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points. While Thane Ulchor is engaged with a player, Ulchor's Guard engages that player. )

After staging: Thane Ulcho r (1), Ulchor’s Guard (2)

7 WP vs 3 threat = 4 progress on the main quest (6/3).

TP. /

EP. Engages Ulchor’s Guard .

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends, no shadow. 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (22).

Glorfindel and Beregond hit for 6 and Guard is no more.

RP: Raises threat by 1 (23).

ROUND 5

RP. Cards in hand: Feint, Foe-Hammer. No more draw. Beregond 3 resources.

PP. /

Chooses Storm the Castle no. 1 to be the current quest and triggers forced effect (When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.)

Adds to the staging area Covered in Darkness (Doomed 5. Each player's threat cannot be reduced by more than 1 each round by player card effects.)

Raises threat by 5 (28).

Flips Storm the Castle and reveals Stronghold of Mordor with 8 quest points. (When Revealed: Discard cards from the top of the encounter deck until X locations are discarded, where X is the number of players. Add each location discarded this way to the staging area. When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner's deck. Then, each player draws 1 card. )

Starts discarding and adds to the staging area Fortress Wall (3) with the text: While Fortress Walls is in the staging area, the cost to play each ally is increased by 1.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Stronghold of Mordor (0/8)

Reveals Soldier of Nurn (28 engagement cost, 2 threat, 3 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points. Forced: After Soldier of Nurn attacks, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest.)

After staging: Covered in Darkness , Thane Ulcho r (1), Fortress Wall (3), Soldier of Nurn (2)

7 WP vs 6 threat = 1 progress Stronghold of Mordor (1/8).

TP. Travels to Fortress Wall (Travel: Each player places 1 card from his hand facedown under a Castle side quest .)

Places Light of Valinor under Stronghold of Mordor.

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends, no shadow. 3 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (27).

Puts Feint under Stronghold of Mordor because of the forced effect on Soldier.

Glorfindel hits for 5 and kills him for this trespass.

RP: Raises threat by 1 (28).

ROUND 6

RP. Card in hand: Foe-Hammer. Beregond 4 resources.

PP. /

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Stronghold of Mordor (1/8).

Reveals Determined Defense (When Revealed: Until the end of the phase, add 2 threat to the staging area. Add 2 additional threat for each Castle side quest in the victory display. )

After staging: Covered in Darkness , Thane Ulcho r (1) + 2 threat

7 WP vs 3 threat = 4 progress on Fortress Wall (4/6)

TP. /

EP. /

CP. /

RP: Raises threat by 1 (29).

ROUND 7

RP. Card in hand: Foe-Hammer. Beregond 5 resources.

PP. /

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Stronghold of Mordor (1/8).

Reveals The Dark Lord’s Reach (When Revealed: Deal 1 damage to each exhausted character. Discard an attachment from each character damaged by this effect.)

Eowyn suffers 1 damage (1/3) and loses Golden Belt.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , Thane Ulcho r (1)

7 WP vs 1 threat = 6 progress (2 on Fortress Wall (6/6) and 4 on Stronghold of Mordor (5/8).

TP. /

EP. /

CP. /

RP: Raises threat by 1 (30).

ROUND 8

RP. Card in hand: Foe-Hammer. Beregond 6 resources.

PP. /

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Stronghold of Mordor (5/8).

Reveals Easterling Mercenary (32 engagement cost, 3 threat, 4 attack, 2 defense, 3 hit points. When Revealed: Either reveal an additional encounter card, or no progress can be placed on the current quest this phase.)

Decides not to reveal an additional encounter card.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , Thane Ulcho r (1), Easterling Mercenary (3)

7 WP vs 4 threat = 0 progress on Stronghold of Mordor (5/8).

TP. /

EP. Engages Easterling Mercenary .

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends, no shadow. 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (29).

Glorfindel goes for the kill with 5 attack.

RP: Raises threat by 1 (30).

ROUND 9

RP. Card in hand: Foe-Hammer. Beregond 7 resources.

PP. /

Reveals Catacombs (4) with the text: While Catacombs is in the staging area, enemies in the staging area cannot take damage.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , Thane Ulcho r (1), Catacombs (4)

7 WP vs 5 threat = 2 progress on Stronghold of Mordor (7/8).

TP. Travels to Catacombs ( Travel: Each player discards the top card of the encounter deck. If a player discards an enemy this way, he puts into play engaged with him. )

Discards the top card – it’s a treachery. Again! (Under Guard. Again!)

EP. /

CP. /

RP: Raises threat by 1 (31).

ROUND 10

RP. Card in hand: Foe-Hammer. Beregond 8 resources.

PP. /

Reveals Guard Dogs ( 12 engagement cost, 1 threat, 2 attack, 1 defense and 2 hit points. Surge. Forced: After Guard Dogs engages you, deal 1 damage to a character you control. ) which surges into Ulchor’s Guard (25 engagement cost, 2 threat, 4 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points. )

After staging: Covered in Darkness , Thane Ulcho r (1), Guard Dogs (1), Ulchor’s Guard (2)

7 WP vs 4 threat = 3 progress on Catacombs (3/4).

TP. /

EP. Engages Guard Dogs and Ulchor’s Guard .

Forced: After Guard Dogs engages you, deal 1 damage to a character you control. Glorfindel suffers 1 damage (1/5).

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Guard Dogs , shadow Deal 1 damage to the defending character .

Beregond suffers 1 damage (1/4)

2 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard , shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack for each Castle side quest in the victory display . 5 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage.

Glorfindel kills the dogs.

ROUND 11

Engaged with Ulchor’s Guard.

RP. Card in hand: Foe-Hammer. Beregond 9 resources.

PP. /

Reveals Ulchor’s Guard (25 engagement cost, 2 threat, 4 attack, 1 defense, 4 hit points. )

After staging: Covered in Darkness , Thane Ulcho r (1), Ulchor’s Guard (2)

7 WP vs 3 threat = 4 progress (1 on Catacombs (4/4) and 3 on Stronghold of Mordor (8/8)).

“When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner's deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.

Shuffles and draws A Test of Will.

TP. /

EP. Engages Ulchor’s Guard

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard 1 , no shadow. 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard 2 , no shadow. 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage.

Glorfindel deals 3 damage to Ulchor’s Guard 1 (3/5).

Edited by Preotet

ROUND 12

Engaged with 2x Ulchor’s Guard.

RP. Cards in hand: Foe-Hammer, A Test of Will. Draws Rivendell Blade. Beregond 10 resources.

PP. Plays Rivendell Blade on Glorfindel .

QP. 2 threat in the staging area.

Chooses Storm the Castle no. 2 to be the current quest and triggers forced effect (When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.).

Adds to the staging area The Armies of Mordor (Forced: After a non-unique enemy engages a player, that enemy cannot take damage until the end of the round.)

Flips Storm the Castle and reveals Lethal Counterattack with 10 quest points. (When Revealed: Deal 1 damage to each character in play. When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player cards underneath it into its owner’s deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.)

Deals 1 damage to each hero. Beregond 2/4, Eowyn 2/3, Glorfindel 2/5.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Lethal Counterattack (0/10).

Reveals Guard Tower (2) with the text: While Guard Tower is in the staging area, players cannot draw cards or gain resources from player card effects.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (2), Guard Tower (2)

7 WP vs 4 threat = 3 progress Lethal Counterattack (3/10).

TP. Travels to Guard Tower (Travel: Each player exhausts a character he controls .)

Exhausts Glorfindel .

EP. /

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard 1 , shadow Discard an attachment you control .

Explosion.

Discards War Axe from Eowyn .

Angry ranting.

4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Hitting objects.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard 2 , no shadow. 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage.

Screaming.

Glorfindel can’t do nothing because he’s exhausted.

Howling.

RP: Raises threat by 1 (31) and takes a short break.

ROUND 13

Engaged with 2x Ulchor’s Guard.

RP. Cards in hand: Foe-Hammer, A Test of Will. Draws Snowmane. Beregond 11 resources.

PP. Plays Snowmane on Eowyn .

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Lethal Counterattack (3/10).

Reveals Ulchor’s Rage (When Revealed: Thane Ulchor makes an immediate attack against the first player. If no attack is made this way, Ulchor’s Rage gains surge. )

Nope. Plays A Test of Will.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (2)

7 WP vs 2 threat = 5 progress (4 on Guard Tower (4/4) and 1 on Lethal Counterattack (4/10). Readies Eowyn .

TP. /

EP. /

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard 1 , shadow If this attack destroys a character, resolve the Travel effect on the active location . 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Eowyn + Herugrim = 4 damage on Ulchor’s Guard 2 (4/5).

Glorfindel kills the 1st Guard.

Plays Foe-Hammer and exhausts Rivendell Blade. Draws Light of Valinor, Golden Belt, Feint.

ROUND 14

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Golden Belt, Feint. Draws Livery of the Tower. Beregond 12 resources.

PP. Plays Livery of the Tower on Beregond , Golden Belt on Eowyn .

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Lethal Counterattack (4/10).

Reveals Side Street (3) with the text: While Side Street is in the staging area, progress cannot be placed on other locations in the staging area.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (2), Side Street (3)

7 WP vs 5 threat = 2 progress on Lethal Counterattack (6/10). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Side Street (T ravel: Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck and discard cards until a location is discarded. Add that location to the staging area .)

Shuffles the deck, discards cards, and adds to the staging area Catacombs (4) with the text: While Catacombs is in the staging area, enemies in the staging area cannot take damage.

EP. /

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard , shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 defense until the end of the phase . 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Eowyn + Herugrim = 2 damage on Ulchor’s Guard (6/5). Dead.

RP: Raises threat by 1 (31) and flips the contract. Beregond 2 WP, Eowyn 6 WP, Glorfindel 5 WP.

ROUND 15

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Feint. Draws A Test of Will. Beregond 13 resources.

Exhausts the contract to heal. Beregond 1/4, Eowyn 1/3, Glorfindel 1/5.

PP. /

QP. 6 threat in the staging area.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Lethal Counterattack (6/10).

Reveals Mordor Olog-Hai (34 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 3 defense, 9 hit points. Cannot have attachments. Forced: After Mordor Olog-Hai attacks and destroys a character you control, exhaust a character you control. )

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (2), Catacombs (4), Mordor Olog-Hai (4)

11 WP vs 10 threat = 1 progress on Side Street (1/3). Readies Eowyn .

TP. /

EP. Engages Mordor Olog-Hai .

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends, shadow Put Guard Dogs into play engaged with you . 6 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Forced: After Guard Dogs engages you, deal 1 damage to a character you control. Glorfindel suffers 1 damage (2/5)

Beregond defends Guard Dogs , no shadow. 2 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage.

Cannot attack because of The Armies of Mordor.

ROUND 16

Engaged with Mordor Olog-Hai and Guard Dogs.

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Feint, A Test of Will. Draws Firefoot. Beregond 14 resources.

Exhausts the contract to heal. Beregond 0/4, Eowyn 0/3, Glorfindel 1/5.

PP. Plays Firefoot on Eowyn (7 WP).

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Lethal Counterattack (3/10).

Reveals Ulchor’s Rage (When Revealed: Thane Ulchor makes an immediate attack against the first player. If no attack is made this way, Ulchor’s Rage gains surge. )

Nope. Plays A Test of Will.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (2), Catacombs (4)

12 WP vs 6 threat = 6 progress (2 on Side Street (3/3) and 4 on Lethal Counterattack (10/10)). Readies Eowyn .

Shuffles and draws Herugrim.

TP. Travel to Catacombs ( Travel: Each player discards the top card of the encounter deck. If a player discards an enemy this way, he puts into play engaged with him. )

Reveals the top card – it’s a treachery. Again! (Fanaticism, this time.)

EP. /

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Mordor Olog-Hai , no shadow. 6 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Beregond defends Guard Dogs , shadow If this attack destroys a character, resolve the Travel effect on the active location . 2 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage.

Exhausts Eowyn and Herugrim to attack Guard Dogs for 9. Dead. Exhausts Firefoot to deal 6 damage to Mordor Olog-Hai (6/9).

Glorfindel attacks Mordor Olog-Hai for 5 + -2 defense. Dead.

ROUND 17

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Feint, Herugrim. Draws Quick Strike. Beregond 15 resources.

Exhausts the contract to heal. Glorfindel 0/5.

PP. /

QP. 3 threat in the staging area.

Chooses Storm the Castle no. 3 to be the current quest and triggers forced effect (When this quest becomes the current quest, reveal the faceup encounter card under it. Then, flip this card over and make it the current quest until the end of the phase.)

Adds to the staging area Khamul the Easterling (49 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 4 defense and 9 hit points. Immune to player card effects. Khamul the Easterling engages the first player. Only the engaged player can declare attackers or defenders against Khamul the Easterling.)

Khamul engages.

Flips Storm the Castle and reveals Castle Garrison with 6 quest points. (Discard cards from the top of the encounter deck until X enemies are discarded, where X is the number of players. Add each enemy discarded this way to the staging area. When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner’s deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.)

Discards cards and adds to the staging area Ulchor’s Guard .

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Castle Garrison (0/6).

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (3), Ulchor’s Guard (2), Side Street (3)

12 WP vs 8 threat = 4 progress Catacombs (4/4). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travel to Side Street ( Travel: Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck and discard cards until a location is discarded. Add that location to the staging area .)

Shuffles, discards cards and adds to the staging area Guard Tower (2) with the text: While Guard Tower is in the staging area, players cannot draw cards or gain resources from player card effects.

EP. Engages Ulchor’s Guard .

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard , no shadow. 4 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Beregond defends Khamul the Easterling , shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack. If this attack destroys a character, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest . 7 attack vs 6 defense = 1 damage (1/4).

Exhausts the contract to heal Beregond .

Eowyn + Herugrim and Glorfindel + Dagger and Blade kill Khamul. Too soon? I don’t think so.

ROUND 18

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Feint, Herugrim, Quick Strike. Draws Gondorian Shield. Beregond 16 resources.

PP. /

QP. 5 threat in the staging area.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Castle Garrison (0/6).

Reveals The Dark Lord’s Reach (When Revealed: Deal 1 damage to each exhausted character. Discard an attachment from each character damaged by this effect.)

Angry, incomprehensible sounds.

Deals 1 damage to Eowyn (1/3) and discards Herugrim (6 WP).

Exhausts the contract to heal.

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (3), Guard Tower (2)

11 WP vs 5 threat = 6 progress (3 on Side Street (3/3) and 3 on Castle Garrison (3/6)). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travel to Guard Tower ( Travel: Each player exhausts a character he controls .)

Exhausts Beregond and readies him with Unexpected Courage.

EP. /

CP. Deals a shadow card.

Beregond defends Ulchor’s Guard , shadow Discard an attachment you control .

Pure wrath.

Discards Gondorian Shield from Beregond .

4 attack vs 4 defense = 0 damage. -1 threat (30).

Eowyn and Glorfindel kill the Guard.

ROUND 19

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Feint, Herugrim, Quick Strike, Gondorian Shield. Draws Snowmane. Beregond 17 resources.

PP. Plays Herugrim on Eowyn , Gondorian Shield on Beregond .

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Castle Garrison (3/6).

Reveals Determined Defense (When Revealed: Until the end of the phase, add 2 threat to the staging area. Add 2 additional threat for each Castle side quest in the victory display. )

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (3) + 6 threat

12 WP vs 9 threat = 3 progress on Guard Tower (3/4). Readies Eowyn .

TP. /

EP. /

CP. /

RP: Raises threat by 1 (32).

ROUND 20

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Feint, Quick Strike, Snowmane. Draws Dagger of Westernesse. Beregond 18 resources.

PP. Plays Dagger of Westernesse on Glorfindel (6 WP).

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on Castle Garrison (3/6).

Deals a shadow card to Thane Ulchor (0 engagement cost, X threat, 6 attack, 4 defense, 12 hit points. Immune to player card effects. X is 1 more than the number of Castle side quests in the victory display. )

Beregond defends, no shadow. 6 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (31).

“Forced: After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck. «

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Thane Ulcho r (3) + 6 threat

13 WP vs 9 threat = 3 progress (1 on Guard Tower (2/4) and 3 on Castle Garrison (6/6)). Readies Eowyn .

When this stage is defeated, shuffle each player card underneath it into its owner's deck. Then, each player draws 1 card.

Shuffles and draws War Axe.

TP. /

EP. /

CP. /

RP: Raises threat by 1 (32).

1B triggers: This stage cannot be defeated unless it is the end of the round and there are 3 Castle side quests in the victory display.

The Final Confrontation

1B

When Revealed: Reveal the top card of The Power of Mordor deck. Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck. Thane Ulchor makes and immediate attack against each player in turn order.

Reveals and adds to the staging area Under the Watchful Eye (When Revealed: Each player with more than 5 cards in his hand discards cards from his hand until he has only 5. Forced: After a player draws any number of cards, he raises his threat by 1. )

Shuffles the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck.

Deals a shadow card to Thane Ulchor .

Beregond defends, no shadow. 6 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage.

“Forced: After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck. «

2B , 12 quest points

Encounter card effects cannot be canceled.

The number of damage tokens on Thane Ulchor cannot exceed the number of progress tokens here.

When Thane Ulchor is defeated, the players win the game.

ROUND 21

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Feint, Quick Strike, Snowmane, Warrior Axe. Draws Warrior Sword. +1 threat because of Under the Watchful Eye (33). Beregond 19 resources.

PP. Plays War Axe on Eowyn (8 WP and 6 attack).

QP. 7 threat in the staging area.

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on The Final Confrontation (0/12).

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Under the Watchful Eye , Thane Ulcho r (4), Side Street (3), Soldier of Nurn (2)

14 WP vs 9 threat = 5 progress The Final Confrontation (5/12). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Side Street ( Travel: Shuffle the encounter discard pile into the encounter deck and discard cards until a location is discarded. Add that location to the staging area .)

Shuffles and adds to the staging area Catacombs (4).

EP. Engages Soldier of Nurn and Thane Ulchor .

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Plays Feint on Soldier of Nurn .

Beregond defends Thane Ulchor , shadow Exhaust a character you control .

Exhausts Glorfindel .

6 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage, -1 threat (32)

“Forced: After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck.”

Reveals Guard Tower (2).

Cannot attack Soldier of Nurn.

Eowyn swings for 14 and deals 5 damage to Ulchor (5/12).

RP: Raises threat by 1 (33).

ROUND 22

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Quick Strike, Snowmane, Warrior Sword. Draws Rivendell Blade. +1 threat because of Under the Watchful Eye (34). Beregond 20 resources.

PP. /

Quests with Eowyn and Glorfindel on The Final Confrontation (5/12).

Deals a shadow card to Thane Ulchor .

Beregond defends, no shadow. 6 vs 6 = 0 damage, -1 threat (33).

“Forced: After Thane Ulchor attacks, reveal the top card of the encounter deck.”

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Under the Watchful Eye , Catacombs (4), Guard Tower (2), Fortress Wall (3)

14 WP vs 9 threat = 5 progress (3 on Side Street (3/3) and 2 on The Final Confrontation (7/12)). Readies Eowyn .

Discards treachery. Again!

EP. /

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Plays Quick Strike and Glorfindel kills Soldier of Nurn .

Beregond defends Thane Ulchor , shadow Attacking enemy gets +1 attack. If this attack destroys a character, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest .

7 attack vs 6 defense = 0 damage (Livery: -1 resource)

Reveals Soldier of Nurn (2).

Eowyn swings for 14 and deals 2 damage to Ulchor (7/12).

RP: Raises threat by 1 (34).

ROUND 23

RP. Cards in hand: Light of Valinor, Snowmane, Warrior Sword, Rivendell Blade. Draws Unexpected Courage. +1 threat because of Under the Watchful Eye (35). Beregond 20 resources.

PP. Plays Unexpected Courage and Warrior Sword on Beregond (3 WP).

QP. 7 threat in the staging area.

Quests with Eowyn , Glorfindel and Beregond on The Final Confrontation (7/12).

Reveals Mordor Olog-Hai (34 engagement cost, 4 threat, 6 attack, 3 defense, 9 hit points.)

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Under the Watchful Eye , Guard Tower (2), Fortress Wall (3), Soldier of Nurn (2), Mordor Olog-Hai (4)

17 WP vs 11 threat = 6 progress (4 to clear Catacombs and 2 on The Final Confrontation, 9/12). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Fortress Wall ( Travel: Each player places 1 card from his hand facedown under a Castle side quest . )

Places Rivendell Blade under Storm the Castle no. 4.

EP. Engages Mordor Olog-Hai and Soldier of Nurn .

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Mordor Olog-Hai , shadow If this attack destroys a character, resolve the Travel effect on the active location .

6 vs 6 = 0 damage, -1 threat (34)

Soldier of Nurn ’s attack goes undefended, shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 defense until the end of the phase .

0 damage cos Livery (-3 resources).

“Forced: After Soldier of Nurn attacks, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest.”

Places Light of Valinor under Storm the Castle no. 4.

Beregond defends Thane Ulchor , no shadow . 6 vs 6 = 0 damage.

Reveals Fanaticism (While attached to an enemy, counts as a Condition attachment with the text: “Attached enemy gets +1 threat, +1 attack, +1 defense, and is immune to player card effects.” When Revealed: Attach to the Easterling enemy with the lowest defense without a copy of Fanaticism. Otherwise, Fanaticism gains surge.)

Reveals Under Guard (When Revealed: Resolve the Travel effect on the active location. If there is no active location, discard cards from the encounter deck until a location is discarded. Add that location to the staging area. )

Travel effect on Fortress Wall = Each player places 1 card from his hand facedown under a Castle side quest .

Places Snowmane under Storm the Castle no. 4.

Eowyn attacks for 14 and deals 2 damage to Ulchor (9/12). Cannot attack others.

RP: Raises threat by 1 (35).

ROUND 24

RP. No cards in hand. Draws Strider. +1 threat because of Under the Watchful Eye (36). Beregond 18 resources.

PP. Plays Strider on Eowyn (10 WP, 6-16 attack).

Quests with Eowyn , Glorfindel and Beregond on The Final Confrontation (9/12).

After staging: Covered in Darkness , The Armies of Mordor , Under the Watchful Eye , Guard Tower (2), Fortress Wall (3)

19 WP vs 5 threat = 14 progress (6 to clear Fortress Wall and 8 on The Final Confrontation, 17/12). Readies Eowyn .

TP. Travels to Guard Tower ( Travel: Each player exhausts a character he controls .)

Exhausts Beregond .

EP. /

CP. Deals shadow cards.

Beregond defends Mordor Olog-Hai , no shadow .

6 vs 6 = 0 damage, -1 threat (35)

Soldier of Nurn ’s attack goes undefended, shadow Attacking enemy gets +2 defense until the end of the phase .

0 damage cos Livery (-3 resources).

“Forced: After Soldier of Nurn attacks, place 1 card from your hand facedown under a Castle side quest.”

No cards in hand.

Thane Ulchor ’s attack goes undefended , no shadow.

0 damage cos of Livery (-6 resources).

Reveals side quest:

The Dungeons of Dol Rhugar (4)

Surge.

No more than 4 progress can be placed on the current quest each round.

Response: When this stage is defeated, the first player chooses a Castle side quest. Each player looks at his facedown cards under that quest and adds 1 to his hand.

Travel effect on Guard Tower = Each player exhausts a character he controls .

Exhausts Glorfindel .

Eowyn attacks for 16 in deals 3 damage to Ulchor (12/12). Wrath and Ruin. Thane Ulchor dead.

GAME OVER!

[Exhausts Firefoot to deal 9 damage to Mordor Olog-Hai, killing him, too. Soldier of Nurn the lone survivor. Fitting.]

Yay! 😄 Now I can never play this quest again! 😄 I can finally take my 3H to more sensible, yet challenging waters of Dream-chaser cycle. 😄

Thanks for reading and commenting. 'Twas fun.

Edited by Preotet

Well done, indeed. But what a crazy quest. Pure madness.