Event Card Question Cruel Weather Nazgul Search

By kayjay77, in War of the Ring: Collector's Edition

I have no idea if this is where to post this ... got the CE but have never owned the original game so I am a newb.
Both cruel weather and nazgul search say play if fellowship is on step 1 or higher of the fellowship track and have you take actions that presume
you know where the fellowship is
eg move the ring bearers to an adjacent region. But they are still hidden. So how can it be played?

Ex its turn 1 and the fellowship has moved once and not be hunted successfully. So they could be in any one of 7 regions. Or do you actaully move the ringbearer ?

You move the last known location marker.

Any time the location of the Fellowship is referred to, it means the Last Known Location, or where the Ringbearers figure is currently located. Think of it as searching for something you've lost. The place where you'll start looking is the last place you saw it.

Hmm Ok , still a bit murky to me.

Its turn 1 and the ringbearer figure is still in Rivendell - last kown location . HOwever the marker is now on (2) and fellowship has managed to stay hidden. The shadow player plays cruel weather.

That means the shadow player may move the ringbearer 'last known location' from rivendell to say Trollshaws ?

Same example except Nazgul search is played - except that since the ring bearer last known location is Rivendell the Nazgul cannot be moved there.

However the Nazgul Search card would seem to contravene the rule page 52 Locating the Fellowship since it does not meet condition (1) or (2).

Kevin

Cruel Weather can be played against the FP no matter where the LKP (last known position) of the fellowship is.

Nazgul Search can also be played regardless of where the fellowship's LKP is. However, only the first effect of the card would be valid if the LKP is in a FP stronghold controlled by the FPP. The SP could still move any or all of the Nazgul, but the SP would not be able to place a nazgul in the FP controlled stronghold, thus the fellowship would remain hidden.

In my opinion, playing Cruel Weather while the fellowship is still in Rivendell is not generally a good move. It actually places the fellowship one step closer to Mordor. However, if you've got other cards that require the fellowship to be in a region outside the borders of a FP nation, then it might be worth it. In this case, you could play Cruel Weather to move the fellowship to Trollshaws, then if you played Nazgul Search on your following action, the second part of the card would be legal. You could place a Nazgul in that region, thus revealing the fellowship.