Force power to extract information

By damnkid3, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Do you know if any has made a force power to extract information from a person, it isn't seen much in star wars but I may have a person who needs to do that soon. We saw Kylo try it on Rey in Episode 7, the other other time I remember it is on the clone wars when Mace Windu, Kenobi and Anakin, were pulling the info from Cad Bane about the Holocron.

I think it would have to be a conflict earning power since we never really see the good guys do it, and it is very useful.

Any thoughts on doing it or if you would allow it in your game in any manner?

Kylo Ren used Farsight.

Mace, Anakin, and Obi-Wan used Influence.

Yes, someone did, they're called Fantasy Flight Games.

See: Sense Power, control upgrade: "...sense current thoughts..."

It requires the expenditure of a pip (black or white), and thereby can and does generate Conflict, particularly for Darkside users whose default is black pips. Depending on the motive for stealing the person's private thoughts, a GM could give Conflict for the action, though the motive would have to be selfish IMO.

As noted Influence could also be used to "make someone believe something untrue", like; "You want to tell me the truth." If that's a lie, it could easily earn the Force user the appropriate lying Conflict, not to mention the pips again.

I am currently playing a Character with both abilities, and have had numerous players with either ability. It's great. Adds a lot to the game, and the Morality system.

Edited by emsquared
2 hours ago, damnkid3 said:

Do you know if any has made a force power to extract information from a person, it isn't seen much in star wars but I may have a person who needs to do that soon. We saw Kylo try it on Rey in Episode 7, the other other time I remember it is on the clone wars when Mace Windu, Kenobi and Anakin, were pulling the info from Cad Bane about the Holocron.

I think it would have to be a conflict earning power since we never really see the good guys do it, and it is very useful.

Any thoughts on doing it or if you would allow it in your game in any manner?

So there's at least a couple of ways to do this.

First option that comes to mind is the Sense power's Control upgrade to sense a person's surface thoughts, which could be used in tandem with a Coercion or Deception check (especially in non-structured encounters) to get the target to think of the things you specifically want them to think of while questioning the target. With Kylo Ren, he spent his advantages when interrogating Poe Dameron to inflict strain, but rolled a Despair when trying it on Rey, letting her get a glimpse into his thoughts.

Another possible route is Influence, specifically the Control upgrade to alter the target's beliefs in order to get them to talk, and again spending advantages on the opposed Discipline check to inflict strain on the target. Or, with the GM's permission, using any Force points generated above what was needed for the Control upgrade to be used to trigger the base Influence power's effects of inflicting strain, or some combination of the two (again, up to the GM).

I would say what Kylo did amounts to two rolls: Influence to force them to think about The Map, then Sense.

3 hours ago, DaverWattra said:

I would say what Kylo did amounts to two rolls: Influence to force them to think about The Map, then Sense.

I don't think you need a Force power to make somebody merely think about something.

4 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

I don't think you need a Force power to make somebody merely think about something.

Agreed.

I've handled and seen handled trying to get someone to think about specific things for purposes of using Sense's "read surface thoughts" upgrade as being a skill check combined with a Sense power check. What skill gets used depends on the user's approach. Coercion for intimidation, Deception for trickery/fast-talking, and Charm for forms of sincere sweet-talking. I suppose Leadership could also be used, but it's not come up in any game that I've been involved in.