Game Opening Crawl Help

By Tahl, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I'm putting together my first try at this system. I'm going to shoehorn the wife to play with me.

I've written my opening crawl to kinda set the tone, but it doesn't sing for me yet and I'd like someone else to look at it. Without further ado...

Star Wars

Episode 1

Force and Destiny

For a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic, before the Dark Times, before the Empire.

In the beginning there was balance to the Force, both Light and Dark. Slowly the Jedi Knights became the hand and fist of the Republic and became consumed with maintaining peace and order.

As the Jedi Knights became embroiled in the macinations of the Galactic Senate, they began slipping in their duties to the Force and lost sight of it’s living nature. They failed to remember that the Force has a will of it’s own...

Congrats on starting a new campaign 🙂

Your text is all right, but you're not achieving what a SW crawl is meant to do. Your intro is a passive history lesson, while the crawl should really be a super-short set-up for your in-media-res opening scene. Basically, the crawl should introduce the overall conflict, introduce the players of said conflict, and introduce the immediate problem or challenge of the start-off scene/act.

You might want to condense your text into a single short opening sentence, like… Idunno:

For a thousand generations the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice in the Republic, but now they have failed and darkness reign.

A New Order spreads terror across the galaxy, oppressing people and the Force for the benefit of the EVIL EMPEROR and his machinations shrouded in darkness.

On the once-verdant world of Gobbledygook, Imperial troops harvest the sacred KYBER CRYSTALS for a secret project, as a few brave Jedi survivors emerge from their exile to end the destruction….

…or something like that

Edited by angelman2

Um... how do I delete a double-post posting?

Edited by angelman2
1 hour ago, angelman2 said:

Your text is all right, but you're not achieving what a SW crawl is meant to do. Your intro is a passive history lesson, while the crawl should really be a super-short set-up for your in-media-res opening scene. Basically, the crawl should introduce the overall conflict, introduce the players of said conflict, and introduce the immediate problem or challenge of the start-off scene/act.

You might want to condense your text into a single short opening sentence, like… Idunno:

For a thousand generations the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice in the Republic, but now they have failed and darkness reign.

A New Order spreads terror across the galaxy, oppressing people and the Force for the benefit of the EVIL EMPEROR and his machinations shrouded in darkness.

On the once-verdant world of Gobbledygook, Imperial troops harvest the sacred KYBER CRYSTALS for a secret project, as a few brave Jedi survivors emerge from their exile to end the destruction….

…or something like that

I like that and agree with your point about it being a bit too passive and not setting up the in-media-res.

I was thinking about using the crawl as a campign crawl and then breaking it down further by session chapters, but that mucks things up too much.

Time to revise a little more.

Originally I wanted to run a series set post ROTJ, but that doesn't work with the character backgrounds I have planned. So I'm thinking it's going to have to be right around battle of Yavin. Either that or my characters are going to have to be younger than Luke at the beginning.

For those that are curious, my characters are going to be siblings and the children of a pair of Jedi who survived Order 66. The kids are left with their "grandparents" and Mom and Dad are away, if not dead. Parents have a hook of Archeology that triggers the children getting hooked into a reskinned version of the adventure in the back of F&D.

Sounds like a cool premise for a campaign 🙂

Another thing about the crawl: Think of it as relevant to the player characters first and foremost. It is not an info-dump/backstory tool, but rather a "this is where you are and here's the problem, now GO!GO!GO!" type of briefing for the upcoming scenario/mission.

(Also, writing is blasted hard! Good luck, mate 😄 )

4 hours ago, angelman2 said:

Um... how do I delete a double-post posting?

Pretty much like that.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:03 AM, angelman2 said:

…or something like that

If I may.... https://starwarsintrocreator.kassellabs.io/#!/CM7eoWKPWbJ0kOhbQL8d

Heh heh, you used my text exactly, even "Gobbledygook", LOL! That made me smirk 🙂

I would separate the SW title with a line jump, and the letters should be solid (although I don't know if that is something you can manipulate on the site)

STAR
WARS

rather than

STAR WARS

...unless you chose that title card to be reminiscent of the Rogue One title 🙂

Edited by angelman2

Where can I find this? I’d love to use it if I ever make a campaign

5 hours ago, Rean411 said:

Where can I find this? I’d love to use it if I ever make a campaign

If you're asking for my outline for the campaign all I can tell you is that it isn't ready yet. I've got a general idea that I'm fleshing out, but I keep getting bogged down in the details.

Some of the things I want to explore is the Bendu and the philosophy of balance to the Force. Especially focusing on maintaining that balance in ones self. I want a three part mcguffin that has a light side piece, a dark side piece that fits into one big piece. I'm thinking about three holocrons that fit together and act as a waystone that leads to Tython in some way, either as a navigational computer or it leads to something that acts as a Stargate. Each part of the mcguffin will have it's own adventure where the characters are exposed to the ideals of the light side and the dark side. I also want some sort of interaction with the Whills.

4 hours ago, Tahl said:

If you're asking for my outline for the campaign all I can tell you is that it isn't ready yet. I've got a general idea that I'm fleshing out, but I keep getting bogged down in the details.

Some of the things I want to explore is the Bendu and the philosophy of balance to the Force. Especially focusing on maintaining that balance in ones self. I want a three part mcguffin that has a light side piece, a dark side piece that fits into one big piece. I'm thinking about three holocrons that fit together and act as a waystone that leads to Tython in some way, either as a navigational computer or it leads to something that acts as a Stargate. Each part of the mcguffin will have it's own adventure where the characters are exposed to the ideals of the light side and the dark side. I also want some sort of interaction with the Whills.

Oh actually I was more wondering about the text crawl

For anyone who has After Effects, I've made a crawl there before. It would be pretty easy to create a template project that allows you to enter your own text and hit render.