The Blue Ace, a custom built racer?

By ImNtDead, in X-Wing Off-Topic

resistance-db-blue-racer-main-image_fa38

Now I know that the Blue Ace from Disney's 3D animated series "Star Wars Resistance" according to canon, is a complete custom built racer and I know the designer just converted a Porche 917 into a starfighter. However I gotta tell ya every time I look at this thing it looks like it could be Mon Cal fighter. Seriously if you saw a squadron of these in formation with some Mon Calamari cruiser's they would fit right in. Yeah sure its got some hard angles and is not all curves; but it is pretty close. Heck if you give it a bit of an asymmetrical look with a few small random placed pods it can easily be considered a Mon Cal fighter. I'm sure some one is just gonna point out that the B-Wing fills that role; but really if someone new to Star Wars saw a group of fighters like the Blue Ace and some B-wings next to an MC80 Liberty and were asked which ones were the Mon Cal fighters, I'm betting they would pick the Blue Ace squadron. Plus the B-wing is a heavy assault fighter that's not meant for dog fighting.

If I was FFG I would try to set this up by converting a model of the Blue Ace to be a dedicated Mon Cal fighter with perhaps a shield advantage of somekind. I know there are fans out there who would want an all Mon Cal squadron with maybe some B-wings as back up.

What do you all think? Am I wrong in thinking this? Or perhaps someone should just design a whole new Mon Cal starfighter? Let me hear your thoughts.

Edited by ImNtDead
On 5/16/2020 at 8:28 PM, ImNtDead said:

If I was FFG I would try to set this up by converting a model of the Blue Ace to be a dedicated Mon Cal fighter with perhaps a shield advantage of somekind. I know there are fans out there who would want an all Mon Cal squadron with maybe some B-wings as back up.

What do you all think? Am I wrong in thinking this? Or perhaps someone should just design a whole new Mon Cal starfighter? Let me hear your thoughts.

I wouldn't like if FFG created fighters or changed the lore. The Raider was interesting because it fits a class of ship the Empire didn't have AND appeared in Battlefront. But fighters? The Resistance has plenty to still feature in the game: two more types of X-Wings, one Y-Wing, one B-Wing and at least 6 more racers.

6 hours ago, Odanan said:

I wouldn't like if FFG created fighters or changed the lore. The Raider was interesting because it fits a class of ship the Empire didn't have AND appeared in Battlefront. But fighters? The Resistance has plenty to still feature in the game: two more types of X-Wings, one Y-Wing, one B-Wing and at least 6 more racers.

I believe FFG created the Raider before it appeared in Battlefront, I could be wrong, I don’t really do video games anymore, but I believe I remember people excited and posting that it was going to be in Battlefront. I’m with you on not creating fighters though, or really any ships as far as that goes, the Raider was a necessity and turned out well, but I wouldn’t want to see them creating things when there are still plenty of things already existing to use.

20 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I believe FFG created the Raider before it appeared in Battlefront, I could be wrong, I don’t really do video games anymore, but I believe I remember people excited and posting that it was going to be in Battlefront. I’m with you on not creating fighters though, or really any ships as far as that goes, the Raider was a necessity and turned out well, but I wouldn’t want to see them creating things when there are still plenty of things already existing to use.

Yep, FFG created it to fill a hole in Epic, then it was included in Thrawn and Battlefront.

As far as the topic here, while I get that it's "completely custom built," that doesn't mean that the parts that make it up don't come from other fighters. I wouldn't expect to see a fighter that looks exactly like this as a production model, but one that's got a similar frame would make sense. Then again, maybe there's companies in the Star Wars universe that just make parts for building custom fighters and don't use them in production models. Or they might sell them as kits that hobbyists and pro racers modify as they build them.

EDIT: I didn't know about the Ultimate Star Wars: New Edition updates naming this as custom made by Joben and Sons. So this is actually more like a commission. Still could use parts from kits, though.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark
On 5/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Yep, FFG created it to fill a hole in Epic, then it was included in Thrawn and Battlefront.

As far as the topic here, while I get that it's "completely custom built," that doesn't mean that the parts that make it up don't come from other fighters. I wouldn't expect to see a fighter that looks exactly like this as a production model, but one that's got a similar frame would make sense. Then again, maybe there's companies in the Star Wars universe that just make parts for building custom fighters and don't use them in production models. Or they might sell them as kits that hobbyists and pro racers modify as they build them.

EDIT: I didn't know about the Ultimate Star Wars: New Edition updates naming this as custom made by Joben and Sons. So this is actually more like a commission. Still could use parts from kits, though.

It does look like it could be a heavily modified A-wing with those fins on the thrusters and the wing mounted cannons. Or maybe they just looked at the A-wing design moved the cockpit forward, extended the wings a little, then gave it the nose cannons, and an astromech station. But that also doesn't seem right since the A-wing despite initially being an older design looks like it can still leave this thing in the dust.

I figure FFG does plan on adding the Blue Ace eventually since apparently a model of it was used in the Rise of Skywalker's Battle of Exegol and because they added the Fireball racer.

I suppose everyone is pretty much correct in that FFG shouldn't make up new ships like a dedicated Mon Cal fighter when there are still ships that haven't been made for the game yet. Maybe FFG can at least add a Mon Cal light freighter of some kind at some point.

There are several MonCal light freighters in Legends, surely one of them would make sense for that. There's less known Mon Calamari starfighters (not counting the B-Wing) and shuttles but I personally wouldn't expect to see those.