Holo Through The Looking-Glass

By Ryuneke, in X-Wing Battle Reports

List building is not a thing I'm good at. I tried different lists for Hyperspace, really liked them, found them very competitive but stole all of them.

I desperately want to build my own list and be competitive with it. So I started listbuilding a couple of month ago. After lots of trial and error I finally found something that isn't that bad and that I really like.

Kylo Ren (76)

"Holo" (54)
Proud Tradition (2)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

“Scorch” (33)

Lieutenant Rivas (27)
Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I love Kylo. He has a special place in my heart so he had to be in the list. I started with the idea flying First Order Aces and put Vonreg, Holo and Kylo on the table but really struggled making it work. I never was a fan of Vonreg because the ship ability disturbed me more than it helped; so I put him aside. I wanted to make Holo work because I thought that there's something special about him I need to discover.

After playing this list for the first time I really enjoyed the versatility of Holo. He can either punch really hard or support his allies sharing tokens. Pround Tradition is turning him into a Tie Defender because he can k-turn/sloop, perform a focus action and get rid of the stress with his ability. The most annoying thing about the Tie Baron is the fact that it has to really weaken itself to double repositon or to get double modded shots. Holo gives you the option to get rid of that strain/deplete and give it to a ship that doesn't get shot, doesn't has a shot or that you want to get shot by your opponent. Holo can also keep the strain/deplete and transfer other tokens. What I'm usually do is to setup Holo together with the Tie/FO's. Both Tie's than take a lock on Holo in round 1. Holo can later use these friendly locks if he doesn't want to transfer other tokens.

Scorch is one of the most cost effective ships in the game for only 33 points. Rivas is the silent hero in this list because his ability works so well here. Each red token an enemy ship at r1-2 gets, grants him a lock. Stress, Strain, Deplete, Locks are helping Rivas trigger his ability. Both Kylo and Holo are locking enemys quite often so Rivas firing a lot of double modded shots. His I1 helps to setup some blocks as well. Therefore the list has some good damage potential in the opening engagement.

The only thing I'm not sure about are the Mag-Puls Warheads. A Guarenteed crit is always nice and jamming+depleting you opponent also helps in some situations. I took them to weaken Boba.

So much for the list.

I'll try posting battle reports with pictures like I do for my Fenn/Guri list.

BCrZ0aE.jpg

Edited by Ryuneke

Good on you for trying something new. Even if it is the "bad guys." Ha ha.

8 hours ago, Kleeg005 said:

the "bad guys."

From a certain point of view

10 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

List building is not a thing I'm good at. I tried different lists for Hyperspace, really liked them, found them very competitive but stole all of them.

I desperately want to build my own list and be competitive with it. So I started listbuilding a couple of month ago. After lots of trial and error I finally found something that isn't that bad and that I really like.

Kylo Ren (76)

"Holo" (54)
Proud Tradition (2)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

“Scorch” (33)

Lieutenant Rivas (27)
Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Holo is so good. I love him in almost any FO list. He is so versatile. I played against an outmaneuver,pattern analyzer Holo and it was a nightmare. He could literally just pick anything on his dial. Ive always glued proud tradition on him, but Outmaneuver is mean when he can sloop or.kturn every round.

Played 3 games so far with this exact list and forgot taking pictures (at some point)!

Nevertheless the list felt really good. The first two games I was up against CIS Maul + stuff. Holo was the MVP in both games. You really can make you opponent think by transfering tokens. For instance: Maul locked Rivas so I transfered Holos strain token to Scorch. My opponent then changed his decision and took the shot at Scorch.

The third game was crazy. I played against my buddies 4 Inquisitors (2 with Supernatural/Proton Rockets + 5th Bro and 7th Sis). It's like fighting against 4 Defenders. You're basically doing no damage. We both did some mistakes here and there and were laughing all the time because we couldn't take those dice results serious. Kylo had 4 double modded range 1 shots in this game and rolled 2 hits each time. Scorch survived until the end on 1 hp and nattied 3 times in a row. We both destroyed 75 points when the last round started so I created a killbox for one of the Inquisitors. I had three range 1 shots with 3.5 expected hits (I did the math afterwards). The Inquisitor had 2 hp left. I did 0 points of damage. The Inquisitor shot at Holo with no mods, rolled 3 hits. Holo blanked (the second time having a focus) and died.

3l4fTqj.jpg

That was the setup.

R4dnpGb.jpg

Opening engagement: I wasn't happy about the boardstate because you need all 4 guns pointing at the same Inquisitor to do meaningful damage. Rivas lost a shield and one of the Inq's as well.

But still: This list is a ton of fun; especially Holo is such a good ship and @wurms I can definetely see him equipped with Outmaneuver. I need to get more games in to get a felling how to fly it.

One word about Mag Pulse Warheads: I used them in every game so far. They were super strong against Inquisitors. Denying the defensive range bonus and jamming/depleting these tiny ships helped a lot.

6 minutes ago, Ryuneke said:

One word about Mag Pulse Warheads: I used them in every game so far. They were super strong against Inquisitors. Denying the defensive range bonus and jamming/depleting these tiny ships helped a lot.

Mags saved my Grand Inquisitors **** (in the outmaneuver holo match actually). Upsilon with adv optics and snoke with a focus was range 2 on GI. I took a lock and with Mags I jammed the focus and depleted the Ups to just 3 dice. You can stare down certain death with those Mags.

I dont even wanna imagine 4 inquisitors. UGH. 75 minutes later 3 shields of damage. LOL.

If you wanna see Outmaneuver Holo wreck some of my ships (and the cool Mag Pulse save my life), our vassal game was recorded. It is a jank tank league, so you will see some weird and completely useless upgrades on some ships.

https://youtu.be/neE5sCKqux4?t=666

Had the opportunity to play one more game with this list yesterday. This time I took pictures of every round.

Game 4 against Maul + 4 Drones with Energy Shells and Struts

NiSWkRn.jpg

Setup: I didn't want to setup in a corner against this because 4 Drones with Shells and Maul have good jousting potential. Setting up in the middle gives me more options. I already like Kylos approach angle.

DxkbkBG.jpg

Round 2: Two banking Scorch and Rivas to get more distance between them and Maul. If I'm banking again here I force the two Drones on the right to bank in to get a shot. In this case they can't land on a rock.

RDpNFrI.jpg

Round 3: Lots of firing going on. Rivas 3 banked, Scorch 2 banked in. You can see Holo at the edge of the picture. Kylo 3 banked in and boosted. Holo gives his strain to Scorch. Because Maul moved before Holo he had to take his lock onto Rivas. Rivas lost a shield against Maul.

Now the destruction begins: Holo used his Mag Pulse Warheads dealing a crit to the Drone and stripping the calculate. Kylo rolled 3 hits killing the Drone. Scorch uses his ability and rolls 3 hits using his focus. The Drone blanks on all 3 dice and explodes.

That was a good start.

Kylo is now in a good spot to attack the Drone in the back. Rivas can just fly over the debris in front of him and trigger his ability with Kylos help.

Holo's in a tough position. Nevertheless I thought that Maul and the Drone next to him will turn towards Rivas and Scorch to do more damage to them. So I dialed in a 1 turn to the right for Holo.

GzL7tA3.jpg

Round 4: It worked. Holo barrel rolled and boosted. Rivas rolled a crit from the debris field he went over and suffered a weapons failure. He has only 1hp left. Scorch 3 straight forwards because I thought that turning him in might result in a block. I think that was a bad idea because he suffered 3 damage and haven't had a shot...

The Drone at the back survived Kylos and Rivas shot and lived on 1hp.

Holo can now disengage with a 4 forward. Kylo can 5 straight while Scorch 1 turns in to get his last shot of before exploding. My brain stopped working while dialing in Rivas move.

39w5INo.jpg

Round 5: I parked Rivas right in front of the rock and repaired his crit...WHY????? What was I thinking? Mauls shot dealt 1 more damage to Rivas and he has to go over the rock next round. Scorch dealt one damage to the Drone in front of him and explodes. He served the First Order well.

Options: What will Maul do? I thought that he will perform a 1 straight and not banking towards Holo because then he's moving towards the board edge with a rock blocking his options. So Holo can turn back in with. Kylo can 2 turn to the left. I just sent Rivas over the rock with a 3 turn to the right and hope that I don't roll a hit result. The dice showed the crit symbol, Rivas died, thats fair. Such a bad move needs to be punished.

lx4pBSU.jpg

Round 6: Maul banked in and the Drone turned. My opponent thought that Holo will bank in behind the rock. Now Holo barrel rolled and locked Maul stripping more shields.

Kylo barrel rolled away from Maul. Now he can 1 turn in the next round and only get shot by Maul. Because Maul is stressed, Holo can move forward without any problems.

fVJqrge.jpg

Round 7: Maul moved forward because he thought Kylo will bank. Both Kylo and Holo firing double modded shots for no damage. I didn't boost Kylo here because Maul has Palpatine crew which can stress Kylo. The other reason was that he has no good options for the upcoming round. Looking at Mauls options he will most likely segnors loop to the left or turn in towards Kylo. So I dialed in a 1 turn to the right for Kylo to counter the segnors loop or k-turn.

OzMzd6C.jpg

Round 8: Maul k-turned and suffered the first hull damage from Kylos shot. Holo moved forward, took a lock and barrel rolled away.

Ttk1o1N.jpg

Round 9: Time to kill some Droids. Holo was able to arcdodge Maul. I used the last Mag Pulse Warhead which dealt one more damage to the Drone. Even better was the fact that the Drone lost it's calculate token due to the Warheads effect - so no Energy Shells against Kylo. Meanwhile the Supreme Leader killed the other Drone.

Options: Kylo can 1 turn in. But what to do with Holo? Maul had two options: 5k or 2 turn towards Holo. I took the risk an dialed in a 2 bank for Holo because I thought that he will turn in Maul to the left. Then Holo will either bump into Maul or land right next to him. With Proud Tradtion Holo can get a focus token even if he on the debris.

8BgoRcI.jpg

Round 10: It worked. Holo landed right next to Maul. Kylo bumped into the ionized Drone. Both FO Aces unleashed into Maul killing the Sith.

Win: 200 - 60

gB9Jy3j.jpg

It was **** close! 😅

Conclusion:

- Holo is such a good pilot. I played him completely different this time, more like a traditional ace; used his ablity only once or twice the whole game. If he's left alone he deals horrendous amounts of damage. This versatility is amazing
- Even if Holo looks like the star in this list, Kylo is still Kylo and one of the best ships in the game. He did so much work here
- Keeping Holo behind Scorch and Rivas in the opening engagement felt right; forcing the opponent firing at one of the Tie's
- I was really lucky killing two Droids in the first engagement. The game could have gone into a different direction because I really struggled dealing damage in the mid-game