Properties Revisited

By Reedstilt, in Talisman Home Brews

I really like Earl Wynn's Properties expansion, but there were a few aspects of the execution I wanted to tweak in order to use it for my own game. Now I'm nearly done with my own version of the concept so I thought I'd start previewing a bit of it.

If you're familiar with Earl Wynn's original Properties expansion, here are the key differences between the two:

• I've generalized many of the Properties. For example, instead of having "Apple Orchard," "Cherry Orchard," "Lemon Orchard," etc., I've generalized these as simply "Orchard."
  • I've eliminated many of the extra rolls associated with Properties. While some still require a die roll to generate gold for you, most now rely on characters performing certain actions, like visiting specific spaces.
  • I've added subtypes to my Properties. Orchards, for example, are "Property - Farming" while Cottages are "Property - Home." This makes its easier for other effects to trigger off of specific types of Properties.
  • I've redone several of Earl Wynn's associated Adventure cards and added several more, along with 10 Property related cards for the City, Highland, and Woodland. Currently I don't have plans for Property-related cards to appear in the Dungeon.
  • There will also be a few odds-and-ends, such as new Characters (the Farmer, the Miner, and the Shepherd at least), a new Ending, and maybe some new Spells and a Warlock Quest.
  • Feel free to offer up some suggestions while I work on finalizing things for release. In particular, I'm still looking for a good name for this expansion. "Properties Revisited" is only a temporary place holder.

Now let's look at some examples of the basic Properties. It should be noted with these basic Properties that they can only hold gold equal to their Cost. Any gold they would gain in excess to their Cost is lost. So collect it frequently, or seek the aid of a Follower or Object that can expanding their capacity.

IxXHWye.jpg WCxb7wY.jpg SGxB890.jpg cZATkom.jpg RRi1nrC.jpg vncKXPP.jpg

There are several ways of acquiring Properties as you adventure through the lands of Talisman. The easiest is to find the Surveyor Denizen, who will allow you to look through the Property deck and buy any of your choice. There are also a variety of Adventure cards of all types that will help you gain Properties:

4XoNOLU.jpg 87nQl8W.jpg ayE8gzN.jpg jFyRZPj.jpg

Very cool idea.

I just sent these cards off to Jon. It's now called "Hearth and Harvest." Since I showed off how to acquire Properties last time, here are some examples of how you'd lose them:

Xtl5rul.jpg vUEPwYs.jpg mht26m2.jpg BUDks1L.jpg

You can now download this expansion over at Talisman Island.

Really nice idea, but I have one question: Some cards refer to a limit of gold some properties can hold (the Field for instance). Where is that limit written? Didn't find anything in the rules either.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:57 PM, daMap said:

Really nice idea, but I have one question: Some cards refer to a limit of gold some properties can hold (the Field for instance). Where is that limit written? Didn't find anything in the rules either.

I slipped up and forgot to mention it in the rules so once I'm done cleaning up some other errors (mostly typos here and there), I'll be sending an updated version off to Jon. In the meantime, to answer your question, the basic limit is equal to the cost of the Property.

I finally got around to sending the updated rules, along with some other corrections off to Talisman Island. It's available there now.