Coordinate

By bllaw, in Rules

I was testing a game with the new Gideon Hask heavy weapon and I found a combination that brought up a question during a game. If I equip him on a shore trooper unit, when they're issued an order, can they give an order to both an emplacement trooper AND another corps unit because of the coordinate trait he adds or do the traits stack and he gives an order to only one unit?

The special rule is coordinate X

So you may either coordinate an emplacement or a corps.

Coordinate does not have a number, so does not stack

6 hours ago, toffolone said:

The special rule is coordinate X

The special rule is coordinate: unit name/type and that is why it doesn't stack. If it was coordinate X it will stack.

I'm agreeing with you that it probably won't stack.

But there is a rule interpretation that would allow two orders to be made: You could argue that "coordinate: emplacement trooper" and "coordinate: corps unit" are different keywords (because of different unit names/types). That way they would be unique unit keywords and they would both trigger. The keyword title in the RR book is: "Coordinate: Unit name/type (unit keyword) which would support that unit name/type is a defining part of the keyword.. On the other hand in the text below it is just stated as "coordinate" keyword. So is that the defining part of the keyword that makes it so you can only order one unit or is it just an abbreviation for the whole keyword as seen in the title?

I think you will need to mail FFG to make absolutely sure wether it works or not.

I don't think they will stack either as STAPs have coordinate: trooper, vehicle and they aren't going to be able to chain an order to both. The easiest solution is to just put hask in a different squad (snow troopers) have them coordinate the scouts and then have scouts coordinate the mortar.

Coordinate: trooper, vehicle is only one keyword where coordinate: emplacement trooper, coordinate: corps trooper are two separate entities. So that's no valid argument imo. But there are strong arguments to both sides. My gut feeling says they are separate keywords and you can use both. But I guess FFG needs to clarify to be sure.

I'd say that you can issue orders to both. The keyword is just "Coordinate" according to the RR.

The rules specifies that when a unit/weapon has a keyword with a number and gains that keyword again those numbers stack, but there is no specification for non-numbered ones, so I don't see a reason to think that the unit/weapon won't gain another instance of that keyword.

"All keywords with a numerical value (an “x” value) are cumulative with themselves. This includes both weapon keywords and unit keywords (including unit keywords that are card actions, such as the jump x keyword)."

That implies that keywords without an "x" are not cumulative. That is why I said it comes down to the question if it is a different keyword or not.

Anyway I wrote X meaning "an undefined type of unit"

I think it is important to ask what if he is the last one standing is he still a shoretrooper?

1 minute ago, Traveler 1985 said:

I think it is important to ask what if he is the last one standing is he still a shoretrooper?

Yes, there's no question there, once you attach him as an upgrade, then he is part of the unit he is in until the end.

1 minute ago, Traveler 1985 said:

Yes, if he starts the game attached to them. He is an upgrade. If the rest of the squad dies, he does not automatically change unit types. Why would you think that was a thing?

1 hour ago, Staelwulf said:

"All keywords with a numerical value (an “x” value) are cumulative with themselves. This includes both weapon keywords and unit keywords (including unit keywords that are card actions, such as the jump x keyword)."

That implies that keywords without an "x" are not cumulative. That is why I said it comes down to the question if it is a different keyword or not.

The rules say this:

"After a unit with the coordinate keyword is issued an order, it may issue an order to a friendly unit at range 1 that has the unit name or type specified by the coordinate keyword. "

To me that means that it would not be a different keyword as the keyword per se is just "Coordinate". But if you could gain the same keyword with a numerical value (they are cumulative as mentioned) then I don't see any reason why you couldn't gain the same keyword without a numerical value. They just wouldn't cumulate as you don't have any numer to add, the unit would just have "Coordinate: XXX" and "Coordinate:YYY".

That's at least my interpretation with the actual rules.

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

I think it stacks for the same reason that Jyn's Teamwork card has stacked with Han/Chewie and Cassian/K2. You are ADDING an extra keyword that triggers just the same.

Nobody has ever ruled that triple teamwork doesn't stack just because teamwork isn't numbered. There is a difference between "Oh Suppressive twice doesn't give +2 suppression" (since both trigger exactly the same and in the same way and ergo don't stack) and "Coordinate: Emplacement Trooper" and "Coordinate: Corp" stack as they are triggered by the same thing, but have two separate effects. See things like Tauntauns. When they move they are triggering multiple different things at once (Agile, Reposition, Relentless, etc), but still trigger all of them. Coordinate: Corp and Coordinate: Emplacement would be the same.

5 hours ago, Traveler 1985 said:

What else would he be, and why would he suddenly switch to being a different kind of unit?

Wrong. He takes off his helmet and reveals that he is in fact Iden in disguise. Then you switch out the shoretrooper card with a fully equipped Iden Versio unit card and add her command cards to your hand (also a nearby rock turns out to be IO).

Edited by Staelwulf