Daqan Lists with Scouts

By Church14, in Runewars List Building

Alright. The other thread has me thinking and these topics are fun for me.

I was perusing Tabletop Admiral and saw @sarumanthewhite ’s “Scouts From the Front and Back” list

http://tabletopadmiral.com/runewars/human/p183u0du24p183u94u24p0f2u27u1au0ep022u27u2fu24

198/200
Outland Scouts [43] 3x2
Kari Wraithstalker [18]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 66

Outland Scouts [43] 3x2
Seasoned Pathfinder [4]
Total Unit Cost: 52

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Marching Cornicen [2]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 36

Oathsworn Cavalry [34] 2x2
Tempered Steel [3]
Raven Tabards [2]
Total Unit Cost: 44

I’m an aggressive miniatures gamer so I like lists that cross the table quickly. This might be the best example of aggressive scouts lists that I’ve found.

What have the successful scouts lists been?

OR What scout list are you trying to make that we can hammer into something.

Hey @Church14 thanks for the shout-out. I play Daqan the most but I also play Uthuk and Waiqar to keep things honest. My Latari force should be complete in another month or two.

I actually have to big blocks of Scouts and was looking for a way to get them on the table. I love using Kari in that unit as they can pick off other units at range while in melee. You have to be a little careful who you get tied up with though as they have no defensive benefits, so try to choose your battles carefully.

The 2x2 Oathsworn is a such a good all around unit. They move fast and hit surprisingly hard.

The 3x1 Crossbowmen are like an ISD in an Imperial Armada fleet. You have to go out of your way to not use at least one. I’ve found Marching Cornicen to be such a good upgrade for them when combined with the 1-March on the right side of their dial. A great way to get some facing change after shooting to keep your crossbows on target.

My thought with this list was to create a lot of confusion in my opponent with Seasoned Pathfinder and then seize upon that with two fast moving, hard hitting units.

No blockers here, just hitters.

Have other folks had success with 2x1 Scouts (maybe with Piercing Strike) as good blockers? It seems like Rune Golems fill that role much better (particularly with Baron Z). To be sure, they’re more maneuverable, but that high defense (and a Vitality token) means they can take a hit.

There was a theory a whole back about using them in lieu of Golems. Basically, their post deployment move would let them get in front of crossbows before turn 1. This was to stop Uthuk blitz.

ive never seen it tried. I’ve just read about it

I have little exsperience with scouts but find the potensial agressive nature of seasoned pathfinder to be intresting. That said going for it is a dubble edge sword as with bad terrain-placement and/or play may just throw away the unit for no apparent gain. I actualy Imagine that going second is the best in shuch a case to get the initiative round two when you have popped out of the terrain. The terrain placement is also of intrest i belive that the optimal placement for the scouts are when two terrain pices are close to and flanking the deployment area of your opponent while also having one pice near you or an objective so you can choose to deploy safely if the situasion calls for it.

The 4x1 of scouts with ranked disipline have a quite consistent dammage output (4-8) and have the ability for a initiative 4 bank charge giving a bit more range if the ennemy is noncomplient with moving towards the terrain. The bad thing about the configuration is that you need to have Hawthorne, but hey he is fast though.

Here is an agressive list that I came up with:

199/200
Outland Scouts [32] 2x2
Seasoned Pathfinder [4]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 40

Outland Scouts [32] 2x2
Seasoned Pathfinder [4]
Know Your Enemy [2]
Total Unit Cost: 38

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Sweeping Strikes [5]
Total Unit Cost: 39

Spearmen [59] 3x3
Lance Corporal [6]
Tempered Steel [3]
Front Line Rune Golem [7]
Cursed Signets [2]
Aggressive Cornicen [5]
Total Unit Cost: 82
I would have liked a ranked disipline on the second souts too, and know that sweeping steikes on Hawthorne is a bit wierd but it is fun to use and gives you a bit of exstra range...
The spear star needs a bit of optimasation as i belive there are bether configurations for it. Maybe throw in a windrune to traversen the table a bit faster? The list is all about rushing inn annyway...

I think I can help you with your desire for Rank Discipline on the 2nd group of Scouts. I believe Seasoned Pathfinder is unique and so you can have only one per army. Tabletop Admiral does catch this.

You could have this Scout unit take Rank Discipline and use them to threaten from the front with their free move onto the board. This will actually give you a 2 pt. bid for what it’s worth. At that point, you may want to take Sweeping Strikes off Lord H and give Moment of Inspiration to the 2nd Scout unit. With a reform into 4x1, the extra die (plus a re-roll) can hit for a lot of damage.

Your Spearstar unit is solid. 😀 Remember, they can go 4 on I8- they will get across the board quickly enough.

I always go back and forth with choosing to be first or second player when using Seasoned Pathfinder. I generally like to choose the deployment if able, but every now and again, you get an unfavorable mission that you want to choose around. I think the balance is quite nice. You have to be a little careful against the Latari, some of their units can actually move before you making the choice more complicated.

All in all, a nice list...