Tabletop Timesinks: Marvel Champions content

By Whingewood, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

On 8/16/2020 at 11:52 AM, Whingewood said:
Part 2 of our Character Focus on Doctor Strange is here. It won't be news to anyone that he's pretty good...

Do you think Strange is TOO good for what he does? I played one game with him so far and he seems REALLY strong....

2 hours ago, geek19 said:

Do you think Strange is TOO good for what he does? I played one game with him so far and he seems REALLY strong....

With the current set of villains and encounter modules, in my opinion Doctor Strange is actually no fun to play on Expert mode. You could definitely tackle some Heroic games with him and get something of a challenge, but I'm not yet convinced that Heroic is a satisfying experience. True solo (I'm not really a fan of that term, but that's the common parlance for one player and one character) is already a bit swingy, and Heroic feels even more so.

My hope is that The Rise of Red Skull villains and modules, as well as Kang, provide something of a challenge to Doctor Strange. However, the main ways to hinder him would be to limit his ability to cast Invocations, but anything that hinders him will likely cripple other heroes. Seven Rings of Raggadorr is very powerful and is one of the key ways that he trivialises encounters, so hopefully there's a decent amount of Piercing coming up!

15 hours ago, Whingewood said:
It's Hulk's turn for the Character Focus treatment!

One of the main issues that I have with Hulk is that he doesn’t seem like Hulk. He suffers particularly badly against stun and exhaust effects. Where is the whole “the angrier he gets, the stronger he gets”?

Nice article. That quote about sums it up for me. Yes he has big stats, huge HP and Hulk Smash, but outside of that it think he's a miss overall.

Michael Boggs has been pretty transparent about his design goals with Hulk: super simple, doesn't create or incentivise complicated playstyle, do one big thing on your turn. They succeeded with that.

But as you say, he doesn't feel like Hulk. Lots of his drawbacks seem antithetical to their overall design philosophy of making heroes and players feel empowered.

I often feel disempowered playing as the 'Strongest Avenger':

• villain got a Tough? Bad turn.
  • You're exhausted by a boost effect, or defending? Bad turn.
  • You draw Limitless Strength or Hulk Smash from the 'draw a card' effect of Unstoppable Force or Drop Kick? Have fun discarding your best cards!

I'm honestly tempted to test him and ignore the Enraged ability - even that simple change will make him less frustrating.

Other than that, I don't know why he only has 2 copies of Hulk Smash.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:19 PM, Whingewood said:
Today's article is about how the number of characters being used affects card choices and deckbuilding.

Well done article. Although I have found Press the Advantage so far to be a mixed bag in Multi-player with Spider-Woman. Spider-Girl sometimes dumps a stun on a minion and then that minion gets cleaned-up by my partner.

Also the other nice solo effect of Get Over Here is toughness removal, it a real nice play against Klaw and Zola who run a lot of guard/toughness.

neat

Very exciting. In fact me and my boys may just run your draft picks along with you. There are 3 of us, so we'll probably end up choosing one of the 4 heroes out of each match up to sit out. Interested to see how it all pans out.

Edited by HirumaShigure
On 10/17/2020 at 3:10 AM, HirumaShigure said:

Very exciting. In fact me and my boys may just run your draft picks along with you. There are 3 of us, so we'll probably end up choosing one of the 4 heroes out of each match up to sit out. Interested to see how it all pans out.

James and I are definitely looking forward to playing out this season!

We still have been wanting to play the Cap'nThor Maximum Aggression. Just haven't gotten around to it. Were you gents going to finish the character focus on Hulk? I wouldn't wish that on you, but wondering if you've "cracked the code". I dread everytime someone plays Hulk (we just run him in concert with Doctor Strange as a coping mechanism). Thanks again, your work has proven very enlightening and a valuable resource. Keep up the great job!