Task Force Admonition vs. Task Force Vanguard

By Admiral Calkins, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Another Task Force game between @ArmadaMatt and myself on Vassal so he can refine his list. Below are the lists:

Name: Task Force Admonition

Assault: Surprise Attack
Defense: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation: Minefields

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• Lando Calrissian (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Assault Proton Torpedoes (5)
• Admonition (8)
= 84 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Ezra Bridger (3)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 56 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Leia Organa (3)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
= 54 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 194

----------

Name: Task Force Vanguard

Assault: Advanced Gunnery
Defense: Rift Ambush
Navigation: Doomed Station

Pelta Command Ship (60)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
• Intensify Firepower! (6)
= 76 Points

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51)
• Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
• Spinal Armament (9)
• Vanguard (4)
• Gunnery Team (7)
= 74 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Ahsoka Tano (2)
• Comms Net (2)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 24 Points

Squadrons:
• Green Squadron (12)
• A-wing Squadron (11)
= 23 Points

Total Points: 197

He had initiative and chose to be first player. He chose Doomed Station as the objective.

Wbdjfib.png

Deployment: After placing the Gravity Rift in the center, we scattered the other obstacles out and I placed the station on my side to the far right of the board. He deployed between the rift and the station while I lined up across from him. And I switched out one of Vanguard's braces for a redirect (after my opponent reminded me that I could... thanks!).

7WUE68h.png

Round 1: We both charged forward towards the station. I moved the station Distance 1 closer to the Gravity Rift and picked up a Victory Token.

5Pv1xOA.png

Round 2: Even though he was temporarily slowed by the Gravity Rift, he continued to charge forward and made a hard left turn with both Jaina's Light and Admonition , trying to get close to the station. Bright Hope activated the A-Wings for two hits against Jaina's Light , and then slowly moved forward to ram it. The Pelta and Vanguard got in position to attack as soon as his first ship activates. The station was unable to move and I picked up another victory token.

LWdUbe4.png

Round 3: After I trigger Intensity Firepower!, he activated his unnamed CR90 to get it away from my Pelta's double arc. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the angle to move away, so he ends up ramming Admonition and ends up in the exact same position. I again activated Bright Hope , the two A-Wings got two hits, and he again rammed Jaina's Light . Jaina's Light then activated and effortlessly destroyed Bright Hope , but not before discarding Ezra Bridger to move the station away from my ships. While the Pelta severely crippled his unnamed CR90, Vanguard finished off Jaina's Light and barely stayed out of Admonition's close range side arc. Admonition ended up on the station and gained him a Victory Token.

mT6rv6L.png

Round 4: Knowing that his CR90 was going to get destroyed either by Vanguard , my Pelta / A-Wings, or a Speed 2 or higher maneuver (he pulled a Ruptured Engine card the previous round and was within 1-2 of the Gravity Rift, so he couldn't reach the station and would be within medium range of both my ships and squadrons), he activated Admonition and attacked Vanguard's side arc. After getting only an accuracy and three hits, we moved and he conceded. Using our proposed Task Force tournament scoring system, the final score would be 260-68 (8-3, 192 MoV).

Thoughts: This was a fun game and Vanguard is one of my new favorite titles. @ArmadaMatt is going to tinker with his list a little after this, but aside from not having a plan with his vanilla CR90 (his words, not mine), he flew his ships very well. Admonition continues to be a beast in Task Force, as even engaging it feels like a waste of dice rolls. Doomed Station is a pretty fun objective too and I can't wait to use it when someone chooses it from my Task Force Interdictor fleet.

Hope you enjoyed the BATREP!

16 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

aside from not having a plan with his vanilla CR90 (his words, not mine), he flew his ships very well.

Flew his ships very well, except for the CR90 that rammed into Admo, pinned itself in, and ruined the whole plan. Jar Jar must have been at the helm.

10 minutes ago, ArmadaMatt said:

Flew his ships very well, except for the CR90 that rammed into Admo, pinned itself in, and ruined the whole plan. Jar Jar must have been at the helm.

Notice how I purposefully forgot to mention that Lando, one of the best pilots in the galaxy, was one Concentrate Fire command away from flying off the board and getting tabled.

7 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Notice how I purposefully forgot to mention that Lando, one of the best pilots in the galaxy, was one Concentrate Fire command away from flying off the board and getting tabled.

Some would call that luck. Others would call that skill. 😁