Lego-Wing

By QQMoore, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Decided to combine two of my hobbies by building Lego minis. Some of these are based on models from the Lego Star Wars advent calendars, with some tweaks.

A-Wing:

dsc_1693.jpg

Y-Wing:

dsc_1692.jpg

U-Wing:

dsc_1698.jpg

dsc_1699.jpg

The wings fold, of course.

dsc_1697.jpg

I also made a Renegades version, with an attempt at "weathering":
dsc_1700.jpg

I had to make some compromises due to the "low resolution" of Legos, so I tried to make sure the character of the ships (and the Lego-ness) came through. Happy building, and may your hobbies cross over in unexpected ways!

These are awesome. More!

The Galactic Republic's turn!

Naboo Starfighter :

dsc_1701.jpg

(Plo Koon's) Delta-7B :

dsc_1703.jpg

The clip piece happens to line up with the engines:

dsc_1704.jpg

When I see creations made of LEGO then I have only one reaction:

1913904620_facebook-care-emoji-transparent-png-psd-download(1).jpg.db740858fb8b69fcddf9ce285788f1f9.jpg

Love it!

Edited by Dragon_King

These are really great, makes me wish I had loads of lego to experiment with.

Im sure we'd all love to see you recreate more ships.

It wouod be very fun to playa game with all lego minis

Separatist Alliance!

Vulture Droid

dsc_1708.jpg

Hyena Bomber (in garish Techno Union colors)

dsc_1712.jpg

I made the Hyena pretty early, so I feel the design's kind of mediocre (it's much too small). There are better parts available now...

Belbullab-22

dsc_1695.jpg

As usually seen (departing):

dsc_1696.jpg

We asked for more, and you delivered, get this person a cookie!

Will you share instructions, or do you free-hand them?

1 hour ago, Gupa-nupa said:

Will you share instructions, or do you free-hand them?

I design these with a mix of digital programs and messing around at the table with my collection. They hardly have any parts in them, so I suspect a parts list and exploded view will suffice. Stay tuned...

There's a pre-X-Wing game with little lego microship like this isn't there. I nearly got into the mech version but sourcing all the little fiddly bits to make the mechs was too much faff.

Micro%2BGARC%2BLineup%2Bby%2BJake.jpg

That image was posted in 2017. Look like any Star Wars thing you can think of? Maybe from a cartoon made after 2017?

On 5/11/2020 at 11:54 PM, QQMoore said:

I design these with a mix of digital programs and messing around at the table with my collection. They hardly have any parts in them, so I suspect a parts list and exploded view will suffice. Stay tuned...

I would be interested in all that as well as info about the program you use! These are frankly amazing. I’m going to have to build some of these with the kids...

On 5/13/2020 at 9:06 AM, CoffeeMinion said:

I would be interested in all that as well as info about the program you use! These are frankly amazing. I’m going to have to build some of these with the kids...

Lego Digital Designer is Lego's own program. The interface is straightforward, though support is limited (does not update frequently; missing certain old and very new parts). My preferred program.

Alternatively, Stud.io is very powerful and has a full selection of parts (and Bricklink integration), though it definitely suffers from the "too many buttons" effect of Photoshop.

@QQMoore I’ve been working on some builds of these the last couple days. I’ll have to post pics. These are awesome! But I’m wondering if you could show a more detailed picture of the U-Wing’s back end & underside? Having trouble rigging up something that doesn’t feel excessively chonky while working around the hinges.

1 hour ago, CoffeeMinion said:

@QQMoore I’ve been working on some builds of these the last couple days. I’ll have to post pics. These are awesome! But I’m wondering if you could show a more detailed picture of the U-Wing’s back end & underside? Having trouble rigging up something that doesn’t feel excessively chonky while working around the hinges.

You're in luck! I made full instructions:

1_1x.png

2_1x.png

3_1x.png

4_1x.png

5_1x.png

Bill of Materials:

bill_of_materials.png

30 minutes ago, QQMoore said:

You're in luck! I made full instructions:

1_1x.png

2_1x.png

3_1x.png

4_1x.png

5_1x.png

Bill of Materials:

bill_of_materials.png

Wow that’s AWESOME! And apparently online Pick A Brick is a thing! Very cool—I’d love to see more of these!!

(Looks like 92582 is maybe not on PAB... would you just substitute another 33909?)

40 minutes ago, CoffeeMinion said:

Wow that’s AWESOME! And apparently online Pick A Brick is a thing! Very cool—I’d love to see more of these!!

(Looks like 92582 is maybe not on PAB... would you just substitute another 33909?)

I usually order from Bricklink. I designed this model to use "modern" parts so it'd be easier to source. You can substitute 33909 for 92582, but the wings will open too far. If you have 2452 or 21445 you can subtitute that for the yellow 1x2 plate to act as a stop for the wings:

screen_shot_2020-05-17_at_12.23.56_pm.pn

I am glad to see I am not the only one who does this! I use lego models to fill out my conversion kit. I also do it for armada. They look good!

@QQMoore / @BrotherFett — you guys have any more examples? I’ve finished building all these to the best of what my (or my kid’s) collection allows. These are seriously fun and I’d love to take a shot at some more.

I need to take some pictures of most of mine, but here is a c-roc I made that I have a photo of!

fiuc7my.jpg

I'll post the others when I get snaps of them!

Galactic Empire!

Your humble TIE Fighter:

dsc_1742.jpg

And the TIE Bomber:

dsc_1688_b.jpg

Edited by QQMoore
fixed image links

These are amazing! Need to share these with my dad, he enjoys the lego star wars sets, he'll enjoy this.

Not minis this time -- accessories! Galactic Republic and Separatist Alliance range-2 rulers. 25 studs (Lego units) is exactly range 2, so you can make these yourself even with basic bricks!

dsc_1749.jpg

The small things at the bottom are color-coded target locks.

Edited by QQMoore

Sorry this took so long!

Jumpmaster

zcxrbmr.jpg

Scurgg Bomber

wqN9vzm.jpg

G1-A

0aIUxfC.jpg