Book Availability Question (FaD)

By Kzloy, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hello all, it has been a long time since cracking open my books or logging into the forum, but the kids have been revisiting all of it and asking if we can get a game going. I have EotE and AoR core rule books, and 1 or two other additional supplements, but not the Force and Destiny Core rule book. I eventually would like to have it in my library for the sake of completeness and because I know my kids will want to go down that path, but never rushed out to get it as I am not made of money. I recently saw a review of the starship supplement and the individual mentioned that it was probably the last book that FF would be putting out. Are they still printing the previous books and are they available or are they going to continue to be available? This is a more general question about all the books not just FaD, but especially about FaD. I went to the product page and FaD is not available at this time. Should I go on the hunt to find a copy elsewhere or should I sit tight and wait for it to pop back up here? Thanks for your input!

The responsibility for the RPG has been passed on from FFG to Edge Studios. Presumably, Edge will be doing reprints and hopefully making new books. Starships and Speeders is, literally, the last book from FFG. This doesn't mean that it is the last book in the RPG, though.

Here are a couple pertinent threads:

*sigh of relief*

Thanks for the thread references, I will head there now. I entered into a state of panic the moment I thought I had missed the opportunity to get all the books I had put off getting and now would have to mortgage the farm to get them.

If you're lucky and have the money, right now, I think Books a Million's website has Force and Destiny core rules available, but when I looked it was nearly 500 bucks for it.

I think because of how rare the core books are that makes them so valued.

I at least got the ebook of the core rules, but its not the same as the phyical book

15 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

I at least got the ebook of the core rules, but its not the same as the phyical book

Just FYI there are no legal e-book/PDF versions of any FFG Star Wars books. Might want to keep it on the DL that you're stealing from the company whom you're posting on the forums of...

5 hours ago, emsquared said:

Just FYI there are no legal e-book/PDF versions of any FFG Star Wars books. Might want to keep it on the DL that you're stealing from the company whom you're posting on the forums of...

That's not entirely true.

Certain playtests required books that were not available at the time during playtest so PDF copies were provided.

26 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

Yes, and there is also the rpg day release of "Under A Black Sun". Which contains the core dice mechanics.

But based on context, none of that was what the poster was saying they had.

Edited by emsquared
2 hours ago, kaosoe said:

Certain playtests required books that were not available at the time during playtest so PDF copies were provided.

True enough, but those weren't for public distribution, so the spirit of the point remains.

There is also the detail you can have a pdf of anybook you own. I have pdfs of nearly all the books. I also have all the books.

Edited by Daeglan
On 7/9/2020 at 10:30 AM, emsquared said:

If FFG is too stupid to reprint books that will sell, they deserve that people use pirate copies.

2 minutes ago, vilainn6 said:

If FFG is too stupid to reprint books that will sell, they deserve that people use pirate copies.

And you need to catch up to what is going on. Because FFG cant do reprints. the role playing games have gone to Edge Studios. But COVID is happening in the middle of that transition...

On the FFG.fr forum there was a news about SW RPG French translations of books that'll be reprinted in the following months. So, you can guess that Edge Studio is working and english books will be reprinted soon too.

So reprints will happen, but that brings up a new question, will the errata be added in the reprints ?

3 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

So reprints will happen, but that brings up a new question, will the errata be added in the reprints ?

Usually they have been.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 4:57 AM, Ni Fang said:

It's been the FFG policy that anytime a book gets a reprint run, any errata that's come out since the prior print run gets added to the new version.

There's no guarantee that Edge Studios will maintain that practice, but I can't see a good reason for them not to continue with FFG's policy.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:06 PM, Daeglan said:

And you need to catch up to what is going on. Because FFG cant do reprints. the role playing games have gone to Edge Studios. But COVID is happening in the middle of that transition...

Why are you defending Asmodee and FFG for their bad management? There are books, like the Edge of the Empire corebook, out of print for more than a year which is unacceptable for the growth and success of this game.

30 minutes ago, vilainn6 said:

Why are you defending Asmodee and FFG for their bad management? There are books, like the Edge of the Empire corebook, out of print for more than a year which is unacceptable for the growth and success of this game.

While there is most certainly a very strong case to be made for Asmodee handling at least the public aspect of the transition of RPGs from FFG to Edge poorly, acknowledging that neither Asmodee, FFG, nor Edge had any control over a global pandemic is hardly “defending” them.

- As of early January, there was no FFG RPG department to get the ball rolling on RPG reprints.

- The RPG transition to Edge was announced at GAMA, the first weekend in March.

- The in the days and weeks that followed, pretty much the entire world shut down for an extended period.

- The end of May saw the world starting to slowly reopen and the announcement of Sam Gregor-Stewart as the RPG Manager for Edge, filling the same role he did for FFG. This would suggest that Edge’s RPG department ramping up didn’t happen until this time.

- Not only does Edge have to start the process rolling of getting books in the job queue at the printer, but so do many other companies. There’s a backlog of publications that need to be printed, jobs that were already in that queue; Edge can’t jump ahead of them. (Personally, I suspect that this sort of printing delay is a strong factor in LFL pushing back the launch of the High Republic publishing initiative from this month to January.)

Is it annoying that the books are out of print? Absolutely. Is it even more frustrating that the timing of the internal changeover couldn’t have been worse? You bet. But getting upset that Asmodee probably planned for a minor delay in production which got derailed by a global event beyond their control or foresight seems a bit disproportionate.

44 minutes ago, vilainn6 said:

What bad management. do you hold people responsible for things out of their control?
As to the edge books being out of print for a year. no they were not. they were printing books pretty consistently. they did have problems with bad print runs. but again that is not something in their control. as the Star Wars license dictates a printer.

23 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Is it annoying that the books are out of print? Absolutely. Is it even more frustrating that the timing of the internal changeover couldn’t have been worse? You bet. But getting upset that Asmodee probably planned for a minor delay in production which got derailed by a global event beyond their control or foresight seems a bit disproportionate.

One potential factor as for lack of reprints may well be that FFG's RPG team (prior to its dissolution) was potentially in the process of working on a revised/updated/second edition of the Star Wars line. After all, not much sense in having reprints of the core rulebooks if you're planning on those books being outdated within a couple years.

But as you said, with the global pandemic pretty much shutting down the world, in addition to the rather surprise move on Asmodee's part to shutter the FFG RPG department and move everything over to a different company, that's going to put a serious delay in whatever time table that Asmodee/EDGE Studios may have had with regards to an updated edition of the game.