Agate´s cookie monster

By captain_mustacho, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

Hello,

just slightly before lockdown started i did begin playing star wars armada. So i do not have tons of experience and currently my "local meta" is limited to the one friend i still meet in person and another friend which whom i did play a couple of games with TTS. Really i did just start looking into the game like 3 months ago and i did not even play 20 games in total. Because of lockdown i had some additional time to watch videos on youtube, read here and elsewhere and i became quite curious about armada theorycrafting/fleet building. 🙂

Since my mates like to play imperium normally i look into playing rebel side. No matter how much i read and watch and whatnot by playing it i need to get more experience with a certain fleet to get better with it. I tried a couple things out with various success (my mates are both quite new aswell, so sometimes i win, but not cuz i was playing good, but just because they did play worse with more / more crucial mistakes).

We have quite some ships to choose from but because of shortage there are not too many squadrons to choose from (core set + 1x rogues&villan + 1x rebel squad II no campaign aces).

I did like playing Ackbar but i feel playing him always makes our personal meta quite stale so i'd like to have a more generalist go-to fleet. This is why i fancy Agate.
I would love to get some advice, hints etc. on my build! 🙂

Name: Agate's cookie monster
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Kyrsta Agate

Assault: Advanced Gunnery
Defense: Contested Outpost
Navigation: Solar Corona

MC80 Assault Cruiser (114)
• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Engine Techs (8)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Reinforced Blast Doors (5)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Quad Battery Turrets (5)
• Defiance (5)
= 175 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Leia Organa (3)
• Bomber Command Center (8)
• Boosted Comms (4)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 35 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Slicer Tools (7)
• Boosted Comms (4)
• Quantum Storm (1)
= 30 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 53 Points

Squadrons:
• Luke Skywalker (20)
• Nym (21)
• Jan Ors (19)
• X-wing Squadron (13)
• Z-95 Headhunter Squadron (7)
• Han Solo (26)
= 106 Points

Total Points: 399

Firstoff i did like the idea to be a jack of all trades (master of none). The list apparently does not really fit into one of the current fleet categories (MSU, big, squadron), but has aspects of them all. Not sure how viable this is in reality.

I did like to not get too limited by my commander. For now i did choose Agate to get a very tanky flagship but i guess Dodonna or Rieekan would work equally.

I like the MC80 home one just for style reasons. Engine techs for extra mobility. Ray feeds engine techs and makes concentrate fire and repair better.
With Agate i plan to choose mostly a 2nd brace or against a squad heavy bomber list a 3rd redirect. Against some lists salvo could be a thing aswell.
I think of it as an anvil. My opponent does not really have a choice but shooting it since flotillas, jaina's light and squadrons are not a good target(?) for ships i expect to face like ISD, VSD, gladiator.
Not sure about the defensive retrofit combination. Maybe advanced projectors and redundant shields could be a thing here since i expect it to be shot from turn 2 on. ECM could be too much since agate gives almost the same ability.
I do not plan running any squad commands on the mc80.
Not sure about the offensive mods: leading shots, quad battery turrets + defiance. It feels like a good combination. Defiance is more like a "for 5 points it may give me another dice which is resonable to expect with 4 activations".
I think together with engine techs quad battery turrets allows me to fake my speed and play some mind games. it is harder to outrun me with engine techs without beeing faster which i punish with qbt, but if you do not outrun me it will be pretty hard for you to focus fire on me with all of your ships. It gives me extra chance for accuracy to deal with brace.

The combination of Jaina's Light, Nym, Luke and the x-wing are the hammer in the hammer+anvil game. Jan Ors helps them get to target and deal with squads.
Han is probably a little bit off. I'd like to just play him once since i never did. Not sure if there can be made any argument for him. The single Z-95 is simply to fill out some points. it could help me in the squad game. swarm does apply even without another swarm squad?

Leia is there to fix my errors in planning ahead on the Defiance. She will mostly stay behind in safety spamming squad commands unless Defiance needs emergency repair/nagivate command. I feel it is very likely that even if i need a repair command on it but need to activate Leia first it will survive until then since it is so tanky. Eventually she could throw herself into the way of a gladiator to prevent him blocking/getting good angle on Defiance.

Quantum Storm + Slicer Tools mostly against very squad heavy builds so my squads have a better chance getting the upper hand. probably there are some other use cases but not sure if 7 point investment is worth it there.
Should i switch titles on the two flotillas? I'm a little bit worried about squad command/nav command timing to trigger quantum storm.

I think my objectives are pretty straight forward. Avanced Gunnery turns the Defiance into a real monster. Contested Outpost i can slowboat Defiance close to farm VP for a couple of rounds. Solor corona allows me to tank even better and get better positioning, altough with ecm+agate accuracy may not be anything my enemy can rely on anyway.

Thanks for your input in advance! :)

Edited by captain_mustacho

Great thought process! As for the defensive retros I'd go with ECM and Advanced Projectors/Reinforced Blastdoors.

If you know how to use EWS, it is certainly not bad, but I don't like to constrain myself with it.