Imperial Assault Combat Rules Reduction

By Rikalonius, in Imperial Assault Campaign

So, first, thank you to Bitterman for his tool set and the small modification he made for me.

I have created a document that begins the process of simplifying the Imperial Assault combat resolution mechanic by removing surges, and making range more or less fixed, yet still keep everything mathematically on par with the current game. As it says in the document, this is two fold. First, to streamline game play, and second, is to build the basis for my own system. The document includes everything needed to play the Aftermath scenario. I've included 4 heroes, their starting weapons, all Imperial units, the Focus condition change, and the no-XP Imperial class card for Military Might. The game is built on using the dice from Fantasy Flight's Doom, but a player can substitute that by using the blue dice from Imperial Assault as the red dice, and the green dice from Imperial Assault as the Black, and making the single surge equal 3 hits. Or, you can use the red dice and just temporarily mark one of the 3s as a 1. I would love some feedback, even you only read the short document here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIqMRTnXXbPu1HnRSCDESyj3n4lCl2eu/view?usp=sharing

May the 4th be with you (for forty more minutes here on the East coast of the United States)

Seems like it would work. I can also see this being a way to use the game with younger kids. Well done. What are your plans for developing this system further?

5 hours ago, birthright said:

Seems like it would work. I can also see this being a way to use the game with younger kids. Well done. What are your plans for developing this system further?

Funny you should say that, I started working on it because of my young daughter.

I've now made many of the core box characters and tweaked some of the dice even from this short word doc. I'm currently running through a core box campaign and testing it. I've been doing lots of dice rolling and stat comparisons to make sure I don't have anyone doing appreciably more or less damage than they would do under the IA rules. I've had to be a little bit clever at times. As an example, because I am still forced to use the white dice, because dodge is an integral part of Imperial Assault, I made it so Diala, when she uses Foresight, that when the white dice is rolled she gets any blocks that come up, rather than just dodge being applied. But Darth Vader uses two black dice, so I change foresight to "Intimidation" and made it so he forced the attacker to roll 1 attack dice. Afterwards I felt like it was more Darth Vader-esque anyway. The hardest parts have been when to allow for pierce, when not to, or when to grant pluses in damage. Occasionally surges are tricky to work with. I figure through meticulous calculations how often a particular surge comes up, as opposed to other surges and I try to match that. For instance the elite Imperial Officer came out to be about 19% chance that the surge for Focus would be available to the player, vice another surge. Since that character uses 1 red and 1 black, and the red has 1 blank, I just wrote that if any red die results are blank, that figure gains Focus. This works out if they have focus, because now there are two chances for it show up, reflecting the increase in surge chance by adding in a greed die.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really happy with how it is progressing. It is a lot of back end work to make it fit IA, but it has taught me a great deal, and it does actually, at least in my opinion, move smoother without having to calculate surges. However, it isn't without it's drawbacks. As I've been playing I've realized that there isn't any risk in taking a shot for accuracy. The players now have fixed accuracy and so they just need to get into range. It makes it faster, but it changes the dynamic, and removes need to carefully decide how close you need to get to the target for fear of missing.

Edited by Rikalonius