What would you like the next SW cartoon to be about?

By Mandalore of the Rings, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I haven't heard any rumors (that I recall). I would love to see adventures of an older Ezra, out in the Unknown Regions.

I guess "High Republic" is a possibility. Not too interested in that.

I'd actually like to see more from the ST era as well... Resistance was disappointing.

Of the 7 Star Wars cartoons I can recall (Droids, Ewoks, Clone Wars, The Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistence, Forces of Destiny) we got basically 1 solid show, 1 mediocre, and 5 that are physically painful to watch. So I dont think any new cartoons are really worth caring about.

Well of the last four (Forces of Destiny doesn't really count), 3 were pretty good (Rebels after the First season, Clone Wars 2003, and Clone Wars 2008-19).
Under Filoni, we got two good ones and the one that didn't really work didn't include Ahsoka. I'd like to see a season or two of Ahsoka and Sabine looking for Ezra (and not finding him until later, I don't like him very much).

I've mentioned other places other ideas for Star Wars shows, but I don't think they'd translate well to live-action or to animated. A Coruscant Adam-12 would be cool, but hard to do live-action and odd to do animated given the general target audience of animated shows (anime aside).

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
O_O typoed numbers (also other things).
56 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

Of the 7 Star Wars cartoons I can recall (Droids, Ewoks, Clone Wars, The Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistence, Forces of Destiny) we got basically 1 solid show, 1 mediocre, and 5 that are physically painful to watch. So I dont think any new cartoons are really worth caring about.

I would also assert that, while I like the guy, Dave Filoni is not the “savior” of Star Wars. Sure, The Clone Wars was great (for about 75-80% of its run). However, Rebels was a boring childish pursuit that, IMHO, ignored the core premise of the OT and seemed to exist solely to appeal to young children and, by extension, sell a lot of spinning lightsabers and other ridiculous toys. Even the show’s artistic qualities (minus the really cool focus on secondary colors) were nowhere near the level of CW; I personally found the McQuarrie homages to be complete and utter fails. The show looked lifeless, its pacing was nearly always glacial, and we were forced to try and care about about a young kid (with burgeoning Force powers natch) and his crew of clowns who - for most of the series - sequestered themselves to one pretty non-unique planet. Slapstick was abundant, and the writing was several steps below that of CW.

If you haven’t figured it out already? Ha. I really, really disliked Rebels and will always believe it to be objectively bad. (Oh, and Thrawn’s usage almost felt like it was meant to be intentionally offensive to those of us who’d read Zahn’s original trilogy... Sigh.)

The less said about Resistance, the better.

PS - I realize a lot of you enjoyed these series. And, hey, more power to ya! Diff’rent strokes for diff’rent folks and all that. But as someone who continued to “check in” on these series on occasion? Please understand my mind is unlikely to change. (And also understand these are my opinions only and not some deliberate attempt to elicit furor from those of you with blind brand loyalty to the Star Wars logo.)

PPS - I’ll freely admit I have a soft spot for Droids. What can I say? I’m a child of the 80s. But, hey, at least it knew what it was and never tried to ascend to heights that shows like Rebels are regularly said to have reached.

What about those of us who genuinely enjoy the show and don't have blind brand loyalty to the Star Wars logo, or is that not possible?

3 hours ago, Harlock999 said:

objectively bad

That...that's not how objectivity works my man...you are 100% free to have your own opinion but that's subjectivity.

Here's an example:

Objective: Harlock999 said ' I really, really disliked Rebels and will a lways believe it to be objectively bad .' That's objective because, it's a fact, you said that.

Subjective: 'I think Harlock999' is a great guy. That is subjective because I am putting an opinion on something that is not fact, it might be 'fact' to me or another person, but to another person they might perceive you differently. Subjectivity is a certain point of view.

I also am aware you know this but doing this to point out how contemptible I find you calling the show objectively bad and that whenever I see you post I roll my eyes. This post has been edited down so I don't get banned otherwise it is an opinion I would be throwing out language that is a lot stronger.

(And also understand these are my opinions only and not some deliberate attempt to elicit furor from those of you with blind brand loyalty to the Star Wars logo.)

Translation: I can be as mean as I want about it and not care that it might have introduced an entire generation to Star Wars.

PPS - I’ll freely admit I have a soft spot for Droids. What can I say? I’m a child of the 80s. But, hey, at least it knew what it was and never tried to ascend to heights that shows like Rebels are regularly said to have reached.

childish pursuit that, IMHO, ignored the core premise of the OT and seemed to exist solely to appeal to young children...Slapstick was abundant,

Double standard much?

You can dislike Rebels all you want, I even agree with you in pertaining to certain episodes. However its cultural impact on the Star Wars zeitgeist shouldn't be ignored, nor the fact that it is held in high regard by a lot of Star Wars fans. I know people who did get into Star Wars because of Rebels...the Prequels...**** even the Sequel trilogy.

To go on a mini rant. It's okay to dislike something in Star Wars, it is impossible to like everything and you should challenge things. However, at the same time, to some people; that is Star Wars, and belittling it for existing is essentially indirectly playing a 'I'm a bigger fan than you' card to those that were introduced to it.

As someone who grew up on the prequels, that is something I've experienced from plenty of people constantly ****ing on that trilogy. They may not be saying it, but what I am hearing is "Your not a Star Wars fan because I don't acknowledge the thing that made you a Star Wars fan."

To repeat. It's okay to not like something, just at least try not to **** all over it at every conceivable moment or say "IT DOESN'T EXIST SWJ BULLL RABA RABA RABA". (That last quote is certainly not directed at you specifically, just the Star Wars community in general).

Star Wars has become 100% less fun for me thanks to all the moaning I see everywhere about "Sequel Trilogy Trash" "SJW"-This "Woman in Star Wars"-That and quite frankly has made me almost toss the Star Wars community in the bin for me.

---

Anyway, back on topic. I honestly do not know what I'd like the next show to be about. I think we have a good live action show with the Mandalorian. Its hard to think of something that is 'worth' exploring if that makes sense. Part of me would like to see more exploration of the Jedi before the prequels, maybe a young Obi Wan and Qui Gon? Could serve as a nice companion series to Kenobi. I would like to see Feloni move away from Ahsoka though, particularly because we are getting her in Mando. Let's move the spotlight somewhere else.

Edited by Ebak
3 hours ago, rogue_09 said:

What about those of us who genuinely enjoy the show and don't have blind brand loyalty to the Star Wars logo, or is that not possible?

Apparently so.

5 hours ago, Ebak said:

Anyway, back on topic. I honestly do not know what I'd like the next show to be about.

Yeah! Surprise us. Something totally new would be cool.

8 hours ago, Harlock999 said:

those of you with blind brand loyalty to the Star Wars logo.

Yeah, I actually don't like everything Star Wars... I just said I don't like Resistance. It's fine, my kids enjoyed it (surprisingly a lot) and I think that's what it's for. We're grown men (mostly men, I assume) discussing and ranting and enjoying a show we got into when we were kids (no matter if it was OT, PT, or ST... I doubt anyone got into Star Wars [from zero, or very little exposure] as an adult-- it's a fun way to relive our childhood joys and excitement). So, while I didn't like Resistance, or the latest Star Wars Pop-Up book, or whatever I'm fine with them existing because this is fun for kids, (and us too, as a bonus). I certainly don't just love everything because it is "Star Wars".

So yeah, I subjectively loved Rebels (season 1 was meh, but the show got progressively better and better to the point where I wished there was more at the end. I also subjectively liked the ST. And I am objectively typing this from my laptop.

I don't know what Adam 12 is, or Forces of Destiny.

I wonder what Taika's SW movie will be about!

I would also assert that, while I like the guy, Dave Filoni is not the “savior” of Star Wars. Sure, The Clone Wars was great (for about 75-80% of its run). However, Rebels was a boring childish pursuit that, IMHO, ignored the core premise of the OT and seemed to exist solely to appeal to young children and, by extension, sell a lot of spinning lightsabers and other ridiculous toys. Even the show’s artistic qualities (minus the really cool focus on secondary colors) were nowhere near the level of CW; I personally found the McQuarrie homages to be complete and utter fails. The show looked lifeless, its pacing was nearly always glacial, and we were forced to try and care about about a young kid (with burgeoning Force powers natch) and his crew of clowns who - for most of the series - sequestered themselves to one pretty non-unique planet. Slapstick was abundant, and the writing was several steps below that of CW.

If you haven’t figured it out already? Ha. I really, really disliked Rebels and will always believe it to be objectively bad. (Oh, and Thrawn’s usage almost felt like it was meant to be intentionally offensive to those of us who’d read Zahn’s original trilogy... Sigh.)

The less said about Resistance, the better.

PS - I realize a lot of you enjoyed these series. And, hey, more power to ya! Diff’rent strokes for diff’rent folks and all that. But as someone who continued to “check in” on these series on occasion? Please understand my mind is unlikely to change. (And also understand these are my opinions only and not some deliberate attempt to elicit furor from those of you with blind brand loyalty to the Star Wars logo.)

That isn't a fair assessment of Rebels since you've only watched the one season, And speaking as someone who couldn't stand The Last Jedi, greatly disliked Resistance (though the second season grew on me a little bit), and didn't like season one of Rebels, I have no blind brand loyalty. Saying those that like them have "blind brand loyalty" is just as bad as saying that those who don't are sexist bigots. Sure there are some of each on both sides, but not all that many I don't think.

6 minutes ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

I don't know what Adam 12 is, or Forces of Destiny.

Forces of Destiny was Disney's first female-centric Star Wars show, it was basically a collection of shorts focusing on the female characters of Star Wars. I selectively watched some episodes and by and large it was mediocre at best. There were a couple good ones in it though.

Adam-12 was one of my favorite shows growing up, I've got a complete collection of DVDs. It's a buddy-cop show (Adam-12 is the car's call sign. A-12) from the 60s and 70s. Adapted from true stories, it follows a couple officers from the LAPD. It was pretty good.
It's progenitor was the earlier show Dragnet that followed a pair of detectives instead. That show was also good, but the show that followed Adam-12 was Emergency, following a pair of fire fighters. It tried way to hard to be a soap-opera.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

(Oh, and Thrawn’s usage almost felt like it was meant to be intentionally offensive to those of us who’d read Zahn’s original trilogy... Sigh.)

That's one of the things I liked about it... :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

That isn't a fair assessment of Rebels since you've only watched the one season,

I don't see where he said he only watched one season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he watched all four and said they were all "objectively bad".

I said I thought season 1 was meh, but the show got better and better and better to the point where at the end of S4 I wanted more. I watched it all. I loved Rebels (mostly).

Just not sure if you are getting Harlock999 and me mixed up. He didn't like Rebels. I did. I watched all the seasons and I think he did too (or maybe I missed something).

Adam-12 sounds interesting. Yeah, a buddy cop show in the belly of Coruscant might be promising!

14 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

(though the second season grew on me a little bit

yeah, me too. There was promise! It was supposed to be the chosen one! (in OB1's voice). But it disapointed. Got so excited when they flew the Colossus up out of the sea and into space. I thought S2 could really go a lot of places. So many opportunities missed though. They could have shown the final battle from the end of TroS from a different perspective! How cool would that have been! The Colossus flying into battle against a sea of Star Destroyers! They never developed who those two force using children were! What was that? What was the deal with that old lady who raided Sith temples for artifacts?! Sounds cool! Does she get developed? Nope. I don't recall even seeing her again. Oh cool, a cameo from one of the coolest space pirates ever! The red guy from TFAs... Crimson Corsair... I forget his name now... Does he get any screen time? nope. I even thought at some point the Colossus would be lost in space and come across Ezra and co. But nope. Just kinda went nowhere. Anyway. Whatever. Just missed some cool opportunities.

1 minute ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

I don't see where he said he only watched one season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he watched all four and said they were all "objectively bad".

He mentioned he stopped watching after one season in a different thread.

6 minutes ago, whafrog said:

That's one of the things I liked about it...

Yeah! Me too. I read all those old Star Wars novels when I was a teen... Zahn, um, Kevin Anderson, etc. Don't get me wrong, they were a ton of fun, but they weren't exactly high-brow literature on par with The Lord of the Rings or something. Pulpy fun at best. So I didn't think they ruined Thrawn because he was kinda silly to begin with. I thought he was fun in the Zahn novels and also fun and well done in Rebels. I liked both.

6 minutes ago, whafrog said:

He mentioned he stopped watching after one season in a different thread.

ah! I wondered if I missed something.

That changes a lot then! You totally can't judge Rebels and say it is "objectively bad" when you haven't even watched it! Silly. It's like when Bart gets asked if he ever read "The boy who cried wolf" and he says "Some boy cries wolf, has a few laughs, I didn't get to the end though..."

Yeah, come back and share what you think when you've actually watched the show.

3 minutes ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

I said I thought season 1 was meh, but the show got better and better and better to the point where at the end of S4 I wanted more. I watched it all. I loved Rebels (mostly).

Just not sure if you are getting Harlock999 and me mixed up. He didn't like Rebels. I did. I watched all the seasons and I think he did too (or maybe I missed something).

Adam-12 sounds interesting. Yeah, a buddy cop show in the belly of Coruscant might be promising!

yeah, me too. There was promise! It was supposed to be the chosen one! (in OB1's voice). But it disapointed. Got so excited when they flew the Colossus up out of the sea and into space. I thought S2 could really go a lot of places. So many opportunities missed though. They could have shown the final battle from the end of TroS from a different perspective! How cool would that have been! The Colossus flying into battle against a sea of Star Destroyers! They never developed who those two force using children were! What was that? What was the deal with that old lady who raided Sith temples for artifacts?! Sounds cool! Does she get developed? Nope. I don't recall even seeing her again. Oh cool, a cameo from one of the coolest space pirates ever! The red guy from TFAs... Crimson Corsair... I forget his name now... Does he get any screen time? nope. I even thought at some point the Colossus would be lost in space and come across Ezra and co. But nope. Just kinda went nowhere. Anyway. Whatever. Just missed some cool opportunities.

No, I wasn't getting you mixed up. The top was a response to Harlock, the bottom was a response to you.
As Whafrog said, he mentioned it in another thread.

Sidon Ithano, the Crimson Corsair. I agree, a lot of missed opportunities. I'd say the main reason it grew on me was that Kaz tripped over his own feet much less, though he was still an idiot.

5 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Kaz tripped over his own feet much less, though he was still an idiot.

Yup, I agree. The Nikto was super annoying too. Yeah, that's the one! Sidon Ithano! How cool does he look? Awesome! Let's develop him a bit or he will just be a cool looking character like Boba Fett... nope... missed chance.

Sidenote: super cool looking characters that should be in other things:

The Grigoran from Rogue One! Moroff, I think. He looks so cool! We need more.

The huge ugly hunter, sitting on the couch in TFA. Grumgarr? Oh yeah, Dowitin. We need more.

The old droid in that same bar/castle... ME 9D9. very cool and retro.

The Knights of Ren! Look very cool but didn't do much.

The Guava's Death Guys! Pretty awesome looking... are they related to some of the Death cult dudes from Jeddha in Rogue One? Dunno. We need more.

The Kanji Club! I'll admit they don't look that cool, but I recently watched The Raid and Tasu Leech is an awesome martial arts action star! We need more!

OK, I'm just being silly and going a little crazy in self isolation, and I also know some of these guys have been in comics or whatever... just saying. Star Wars has some pretty good costumes and designs!

In between New hope and empire strikes back, done in clone wars animation.

Seeing that last seen in clone wars have me the chills.

Can't believe y'all left out Freemaker Adventures. 😛

20 minutes ago, Demon4x4 said:

The Lego shows are actually pretty good. Not Canon , but pretty good.

Would a more canon version of the Freemaker adventures work?

Also, a show set in between A New Hope and Empire sounds pretty interesting. To me, they've always shied away from touching the Original Trilogy in animated form, Droids asside. Yet have no issue doing comics, books etc.

13 minutes ago, Ebak said:

No.

13 minutes ago, Ebak said:

Also, a show set in between A New Hope and Empire sounds pretty interesting. To me, they've always shied away from touching the Original Trilogy in animated form, Droids asside. Yet have no issue doing comics, books etc.

For me, it really depends on who is starring in the series. I'd like something with new characters, but I wouldn't trust them to do animated versions of the original characters, especially because of the voices.

19 minutes ago, Ebak said:

I think so. I’ve statted out more “realistic” versions of the Freemakers. My rationalization is that the stories we saw were the equivalent of kids’ show dramatizations of real events produced during the New Republic. The Kyber saber and the Arrowhead, for example, existed, but were shown as far more powerful than they really were.

At any rate, there have been some small references to the characters in canon material, such as Roger being included in Droidography and Ultimate Star Wars (New Edition) .

Edited by Nytwyng
7 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

I think so. I’ve statted out more “realistic” versions of the Freemakers. My rationalization is that the stories we saw were the equivalent of kids’ show dramatizations of real events produced during the New Republic. The Kyber saber and the Arrowhead, for example, existed, but were shown as far more powerful than they really were.

At any rate, there have been some small references to the characters in canon material, such as Roger being included in Droidography and Ultimate Star Wars (New Edition) .

I'm aware of your work, compiled them in my GM holocron for potential later use.

2 hours ago, Demon4x4 said:

I did love that show! Rowan melts my heart. Would never want it to be canon.

Edited by jhh3

Have any of you guys read the Vader comics? At the time they were the only thing that actually showed Darth Vader being OP, then rouge one came out.

Edited by jhh3