Question on Dice

By oshjoshbahotdog, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

So this is definitely a noob question. But I was wondering if anyone knew. Is there a limit on the amount of dice you can roll? For example blue dice or black dice. Can u add as many as you can? Also is there limit on the rank you can rank up? I know theres a limit to your characteristics but is there for your skill ranks too? Thanks in advance

40 minutes ago, oshjoshbahotdog said:

So this is definitely a noob question. But I was wondering if anyone knew. Is there a limit on the amount of dice you can roll? For example blue dice or black dice. Can u add as many as you can? Also is there limit on the rank you can rank up? I know theres a limit to your characteristics but is there for your skill ranks too? Thanks in advance

Normally can't get more than 5 ranks, but a cybernetic enhancement can get you a 6th rank for at least some skills

Gotcha thanks

normal max ability dice is 6 with 7 with cyber,

For boost and setback the max is 4 or 5 of each.

For difficulty max is 5 same with Challenge.

Per the devs going beyond that tends to have wonky results.

15 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

For boost and setback the max is 4 or 5 of each.

Do you have a citation for that? I know Defense is capped at 4, but I really don't think that max Boost/Setback should be capped.
For example: You are shooting at someone in good cover, and it's very dark out. Max 4 Setback from Defense. You are using an Inaccurate 3 weapon, and you are Disoriented. That would push it up to 8 Setback dice. A lot I know, but given the circumstances, it makes sense and helps make sure that you don't get stupidly lucky under impossible circumstances (while still leaving that possibility, of course).

For Boost, a better argument can be made for capping it, but it's a fairly fine line. I wouldn't want to cap it at less than 6 minimum, and anything past that is pretty hard to attain anyway, making a cap far less necessary.

I would appreciate a citation so I know how to play the game "right," but I'd probably houserule it out.

22 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Do you have a citation for that? I know Defense is capped at 4, but I really don't think that max Boost/Setback should be capped.
For example: You are shooting at someone in good cover, and it's very dark out. Max 4 Setback from Defense. You are using an Inaccurate 3 weapon, and you are Disoriented. That would push it up to 8 Setback dice. A lot I know, but given the circumstances, it makes sense and helps make sure that you don't get stupidly lucky under impossible circumstances (while still leaving that possibility, of course).

For Boost, a better argument can be made for capping it, but it's a fairly fine line. I wouldn't want to cap it at less than 6 minimum, and anything past that is pretty hard to attain anyway, making a cap far less necessary.

I would appreciate a citation so I know how to play the game "right," but I'd probably houserule it out.

it was way back in the early Order 66 episodes where they discussed the dice mechanic and where it starts to get wonky. It is not a hrd cap but that is what I see get recommended due to the super big dice pools getting wonky

On 5/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I can’t find where it says that defense is limited to 4. Can you cite that?

Unless you mean for starships and vehicles? I know on pg 232 it says 4 is the max defense you can have in each zone but I don’t think there’s a max for character defense.

4 hours ago, oshjoshbahotdog said:

That's a rule in Genesys. Likely P-47 instituted the rule in Star Wars.

42 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

That's a rule in Genesys. Likely P-47 instituted the rule in Star Wars.

The recent faq i believe has it.

5 hours ago, oshjoshbahotdog said:

It's in the Errata.

Well there ya go. I often forget the errata.