Magistrate or Yoriki, that is the question

By Nheko, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

I’m planning to run the publish adventures, and not sure which which title assign to the pcs, emerald magistrate or yoriki. Which one will make a more sensible choice for those who have played them.

PS They are not going to play the rōnin ones now, they are going to play them later with rōnin characters.

Officially, EM.

Practically, I went with one Magistrate and everyone else Yoriki. Funnily enough, the Yoriki title gives access to better stuff...

Yoriki giving access to Rank 3 Kata is a mistake, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Myrion said:

Practically, I went with one Magistrate and everyone else Yoriki. Funnily enough, the Yoriki title gives access to better stuff...

If one of the players is lucky enough to win the championship, this approach makes a great deal of sense. After all, once a magistrate is nominated, technically they can nominate their own yoriki.

21 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

If one of the players is lucky enough to win the championship, this approach makes a great deal of sense. After all, once a magistrate is nominated, technically they can nominate their own yoriki.

That’s a sound advice, thank you.

Which is exactly the case in my group! 😀

Sorry Myrion my post should’ve included your quote yours. I did notice this was your choice also.

Ah, no worries, I meant more the fact that Magnus Grendel basically pointed out the exact process why I went with one Magistrate and the rest as Yoriki. The Topaz Champion got really fast tracked and the rest got a brief intro and are qualified Yoriki with a good shot at either becoming Emerald or Clan Magistrates eventually.

It's a sensible approach.

Just a heads-up: If you play Into The Palace Of The Emerald Champion, you will need to modify the scene with the Jealous Emerald Magistrates in some way.

I did, I merged it with the Lion sibling and had a one on one duel with an enthusiastic character who wanted to learn from him and didn't really express himself too well. Ended up a short duel with jeering older magistrates watching and I granted him an extra XP for taking it well (as well as some honor and glory, actually).