Light Cover: What do you use for it?

By Contrapulator, in Terrain Building

The official terrain guidelines state: "The terrain should include a mix of light and heavy cover." Heavy cover is obvious, but light cover can be a little more tricky depending on the environment of your battlefield. I'm building Endor terrain so I'm using vegetation as light cover, but what about, say... Hoth, Tattooine, or Geonosis? Please share your cool light cover ideas!

Light cover is a pet peeve of mine. Too many boards now have very little or no light cover, mostly due to the recent influx of 3d printers. I generally make light cover terrain in 2 forms: Area that units can move into, and "strips" that units move through, like a hedge row. With that said, my boards have these types for light cover:

• Desert (Tatooine, etc): Dry Shrubbery, that looks like straw. Could make clumps of tumbleweed
  • Forest (Endor, etc.): Bushes, Hedges, Streams, Small copses of trees
  • Hoth: Haven't tackled this ... yet
  • General (use on all boards): Boxes, crates, Cargo Pods, Signage, Bridges, Fencing (wood or any material is good)

When it's done, I'll upload pictures of my desert board. I'm hoping to complete the area and "strips" tonight!

Here are pics of my old-world village board and Forest board. We used the hedges, fencing, streams, bridges, smaller tree scatter as light terrain.

tarcl8gptyat81dzg.jpg

l8g0d4hnae1bnlrzg.jpg

i0rm06jipevmoq8zg.jpg

vszoaobvnm4hppmzg.jpg

06hw08yxo6hvxtazg.jpg

vsepng6vu3oas2mzg.jpg

A bit off topic but I've got to say the verticality of those cliffs is amazing! I've never seen a setup like that before.

Crates are ubiquitous in any Star Wars environment, so using them as light cover would work in a pinch. Other than that, the only "universal" light cover I can think of would be craters and wreckage.

Deserts could have dead trees or shrubs but we basically never see any in the movies that I can recall. Edit: I'm finally getting around to watching the World Championship stream and they have some awesome fossil skeletons:

NeV8lTf.png

Edited by Contrapulator

I really like your hedges, @Thraug . Those are all really nice boards!

I'm working on an urban board which will have a small park, allowing some trees, shrubbery, park benches, and the like to serve as light cover. I'd imagine that bistro/cantina tables and chairs would serve as well.

The hedges were probly the simplest thing I've ever made. They are sponges coated with flocking glued to tongue depressors painted brown.

Here's what I just made for desert light cover terrain. There are some hard cover pieces in some of these pics but for the most part the light cover pieces are crates and brush hedges and brush scatter.

tfwsvcowla7w0zmzg.jpg

4xtnqbe9hzkpfkuzg.jpg

sj3p5cmaff6rqqjzg.jpg

2ktlh0zxn3z4hk8zg.jpg

trluvdtdeh55svvzg.jpg

2xntqrqeeifqzs8zg.jpg

On 4/30/2020 at 8:44 AM, Contrapulator said:

Hoth, Tattooine, or Geonosis

Hills are light cover. They work pretty well anywhere. Snow/sand dunes.

Crates and boxes are easy too.

Pages 8-9 of the current RRG have more info