Late of the Rings - Podcast

By hellboyberry, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Hello LotR:LCG friends & mellons,

We are here to officially introduce our brand new (and first ever) podcast to the FFG community

Late of the Rings

It's an idea we've had running around our heads for some time and now had the opportunity to make a reality.

Excited by seeing our game continuing to grow and bring in new players & fans we felt there could be room for a new Podcast that takes us all back to where everything began almost a decade ago.

Late of the Rings is a lighthearted yet informative exploration of the game we adore. Featuring discussion on cards & quests, our various adventures in and out of Middle Earth, as well as offering advice for new players and veterans alike.

One experienced player. One newcomer. Two microphones. Lots of silliness.

There are two episodes currently available to stream, with a third on it's way.

They can be found at all the usual pod-like places:
no caption
(and coming soon to Pandora, iHeart Radio and Google Podcast ). Now available on Pandora, iHeart Radio and Google Podcast.

You can find links to all these apps or listen directly here:
https://lateoftherings.buzzsprout.com/

We hope you decide to take a listen and enjoy what you hear.

John & Em

no caption

Edited by hellboyberry
updated listening platforms

Tuning in now!

Enjoying this :) As a brand-new player, it's welcoming and not overwhelming with meta and talking about stuff I won't be encountering for weeks and weeks as I slowly catch-up on 9 years of the game. Good audio quality too!

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! And good luck with your first steps into Middle Earth - many wonderful adventures await you!

Yup, added this to my podcast rotation, although as I'm not driving to work currently my already very-behind backlog is getting further behind. I'll get to this one day 🙂

I like to listen to podcasts while I'm shaving, showering, or doing chores, so I checked yours out. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I like the beginners angle to it, I used to listen to the Grey Company podcast and it could get a little "elite" at times. I like that this brings things back down to bare bones, plus some of the newbie questions make me feel smart 🙂

Edited by Vince79

Brilliant idea. I think this game has so much to enjoy for both hardcore players who love challenge and deck building, as well as a much more casual audience, so its a great idea to bring those two sides together. Hope its a success!

Absolutely perfect. We started to open our Core set today, and we went through the cards as we listened to you discussing them. Skipped the spoilery bit about the first quest, cos we're about to do it... NOW! What a great show.

And in what I believe is time-honoured tradition, we immediately ordered the first Hobbit saga box before we've even played anything from Core 😆

Edited by grayvelo
1 hour ago, grayvelo said:

Absolutely perfect. We started to open our Core set today, and we went through the cards as we listened to you discussing them. Skipped the spoilery bit about the first quest, cos we're about to do it... NOW! What a great show.

And in what I believe is time-honoured tradition, we immediately ordered the first Hobbit saga box before we've even played anything from Core 😆

Fantastic! Thanks a million for the positive response.

Enjoy the first quest - We wish you the best of luck with your first steps into Middle Earth.

As someone with a fair amount of content but just getting back into the game now that the kids are becoming a little more manageable, I've really enjoyed your first 3 episodes. Hope there is more to come.

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback on the first 3 episodes!
There will indeed be more to come... Episode 4 is coming (very) soon.

7 hours ago, hellboyberry said:

We discuss the game's difficulty level and make our Escape from Dol Guldur.

Looking forward to hearing that one. Always interesting to see new players' reactions to that scenario.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, hellboyberry said:

We discuss the game's difficulty level and make our Escape from Dol Guldur.

I started listening to this episode, and I'm not all the way through it yet, but I wanted to comment. I have defeated Escape from Dol Guldur a few times using only the cards from the Core Set in pure solo mode. So it can definitely be done. I certainly didn't have a high winning percentage though, I folded many a game after seeing the flop. If you're not set up right, it isn't going to happen. You have to have the right deck, and some luck.

I believe you said - I think it was you, could have been your partner, but I think it was you - that some players have noted that if things don't happen right in the beginning with this quest, there's no point in continuing. And that was my experience. You then said that isn't how you wanted to play the game. And I agree with you. Which is why I dislike the harder scenarios in this game. Some quests punish the solo players, and some quests punish the group players. But there are several which are absolute bears for single hand solo players. You can definitely beat them though, if you don't mind banging your head against the wall for awhile.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:47 AM, Vince79 said:

I believe you said - I think it was you, could have been your partner, but I think it was you - that some players have noted that if things don't happen right in the beginning with this quest, there's no point in continuing. And that was my experience. You then said that isn't how you wanted to play the game. And I agree with you. Which is why I dislike the harder scenarios in this game. Some quests punish the solo players, and some quests punish the group players. But there are several which are absolute bears for single hand solo players. You can definitely beat them though, if you don't mind banging your head against the wall for awhile.

Totally agree. I am a glutton for the wall banging, and I don't mind certain quests being really tough (e.g. Heirs of Numenor), the satisfaction of beating them is 2nd to none. But like you say, with Dol Guldur it just feels like if you don't have a good set up you already know you can't win. That to me is not a challenge as such and it's simply not fun IMO.

11 hours ago, hellboyberry said:

There was a bit of an unexpected delay with the new episode... but remember, our podcast is never late.

Episode 7 has arrived precisely when it meant to.

That's all right, gave me a chance to catch up.

I'll expect it when I see it.

Just listened through your casts. You have a very entertaining banter going on, please keep it up. I started playing in earnest this winter, so I very much appreciate and sympathise with your progress approach. Brand was the grandson of Bard, but you were otherwise spot on, he fought alongside Dain in the War of the Ring. They, of course, both died.

A fun fact about the late Ian Holm. He voiced Frodo in the BBC radio version from the 80’s that I listened to on cassette tapes in the beginning of the 90’s.

Edited by Fredmans74

Glad to hear you're enjoying the show, and thanks a lot for the fun facts!

Good luck with your games, and I hope you continue to listen to and enjoy the cast, we hope to have a new episode ready within the next few days.

Edited by hellboyberry
Grammar