Lucky Charm and Fate

By ChapstickEvangelist, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi everyone!

We had a pretty big discussion during yesterdays's game and I'd like to hear y'alls opinions on this.

My group wouldn't let me use the Lucky Charm on a die roll, previously re-rolled by the use of Fate. The way I wanted to play was:

1. Encounter monster
  2. Roll my attack roll
  3. If I roll crap, use Fate to re-roll
  4. Instead of the Fate based re-roll use the lucky charm to decide the outcome

Apparently I am not allowed to use the Lucky Charm on a die that is about to be re-rolled with fate, which I think is bs. The card sasy ' You may discard the Charm when you are about to make a die roll. You choose which result on the die to use instead of rolling it. '
The way I would understand it is, that whenever I roll a die (the physical action of throwing a die on the table ) I can use the object to choose the outcome.

The counter argument was that since the card says 'about to make a die roll' the Charm can only be used before rolling the initial die (before using Fate) and that' make a die roll ' and ' rolling a die ' are not the same thing.

I confident that you're absolutely right.

Rule questions are more or less always best solved by reading what is written _exactly as it is written_, not putting your personal interpretation into it. Lots and lots of cards are written exactly as they are written for this purpose.

You are about to about to make a die roll after using fate. Hence allowed.