Paying without playing

By Bobbymcbobface, in Rules questions & answers

Is it possible to pay for and play an event without fulfilling it?

For example, to avoid Na'asiyah's engagement ability, can I play Wait no longer at the beginning of the quest phase, but not perform the response?

6 hours ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

Is it possible to pay for and play an event without fulfilling it?

For example, to avoid Na'asiyah's engagement ability, can I play Wait no longer at the beginning of the quest phase, but not perform the response?

There are no "may" or other optional part of the text in Wait No Longer so I would say that no, you can't.

I agree, if you play the card then you have to follow the text.

However, some events can end up doing nothing, for example, Man the Walls does nothing by itself and there is nothing stopping you from playing it even if there can't or won't be any allies played in the same phase.

7 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

There are no "may" or other optional part of the text in Wait No Longer so I would say that no, you can't.

But isn't a response always optional?

1 minute ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

But isn't a response always optional?

Yes, and if you do not activate the Response from a card in your hand is because you are not playing the card. It's not the same thing as a Response on a card already in play.

This would be a way to thin your hand out, which would be helpful against the Dunland enemies you face in the Ring maker cycle. Unfortunately, not legal. Might I recommend a good old fashioned Protector of Lorien, or when playing with tactics, elven spear?

31 minutes ago, player3351457 said:

Might I recommend a good old fashioned Protector of Lorien, or when playing with tactics, elven spear?

Absolutely! I was playing @banania 's campaign "Tale of years" campaign (which is great by the way) and had the "oops" moment where I totally forgot about Na'asiyah's ability, and had 4 events in hand and was trying to figure out how to get rid of them before I got sliced.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:25 PM, rees263 said:

I agree, if you play the card then you have to follow the text.

However, some events can end up doing nothing, for example, Man the Walls does nothing by itself and there is nothing stopping you from playing it even if there can't or won't be any allies played in the same phase.

This response comes two months later, but I just want to point out that in the rules reference , under "Cost", it says that you cannot pay the cost of a card if "its effect does not have the potential to change the game state" (emphasis mine). So, for example, the 1-cost Leadership event Ever Vigilant ("Choose and ready 1 ally card") could not be played if nobody has any ally cards out. But Man the Walls ("Reduce the cost of the next ally played by each player this phase by 1") can be played even if it ends up doing nothing because nobody played any allies, because it did change the game state: it created a lasting effect that wasn't there before. Whether or not that effect whiffed is irrelevant: creating a lasting effect always counts as changing the game state, because it puts a new rule into play for a certain time.

I mention this because I came across your "some events can end up doing nothing" sentence and thought at first that it was incorrect until I checked the text on the Man the Walls card. And so, since fewer people seem to be familiar with the Rules Reference than with the FAQ, I figured it was worth mentioning.