Sell me on this

By Stevey86, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I really want to start playing a Star Wars RPG with my son.

2 things. 1, I don’t like that this is split into 3 games. And 2, I hate the new canon.

Is it worth getting one of the FFG books? Or should I try and get hold of the 2007, or even the 1996 RPG?

Yes, it’s worth it. Just pick the theme you two would like the best.

Worth it. And there is relatively little of the new canon present in the material.

Pick the core book that best suits your intended theme, grab the sourcebooks for the careers you will use, and go from there.

One of the Beginner box sets might be a good way to start, if you’re not sure. I’ve been playing with my son for a few years now.

The narrative dice are a barrier to entry for some, but once you get used to them, they are awesome. I actually didn't get in to RPGs until I found the narrative dice system because I didn't like d20 systems. If you need me to make more of a case, I'll do so.

If you don't want to buy more than one Core Rulebook, I'd suggest figuring out which theme you want, and sticking with it. EotE is the most versatile by far, and I think that the Obligation mechanic is the most compelling and useful, and while it is not the most simple, it is still pretty easy to understand. If you are specifically interested in the force, then you could go with Force and Destiny, and of course for Rebels you would go with Age of Rebellion. EotE allows you to play both of those themes, but you are much more limited in specializations, advice, and additional information. That said, you can often get more (and sometimes better) information by browsing the forum.

This system is great, and I highly encourage you to buy into it. If you get a beginner game, you also get a set of dice. A single set of dice is enough, but 2 sets of dice is probably the most efficient number (each pack really ought to have an additional Force die and Challenge die though).

I was lucky on eBay and was able to buy in for ~73 bucks, getting the AoR beginner game, a set of dice, the AoR CRB, and Forged in Battle. Unfortunately, eBay is not all that helpful right now as the books are in short supply.

Probably more important in picking theme is what does you players want? If their favorite is jedi then force and destiny. If their favorite is x2imgs and rebels pick age of rebellion. If Han Solo is their bag puck edge.

Just to add, if they want to play Clone Wars there are books for that and there is also a book to give a Rebels feel. There isn't one for Resistance however, although you said you didn't like that one anyway.

On 4/25/2020 at 6:58 AM, Tramp Graphics said:

Yes, it’s worth it. Just pick the theme you two would like the best.

Glad to see you on the forums, I hope that means you are well. I've been worried about you in the era of Corona virus and you didn't return my call to check in on you last week.

Edited by EliasWindrider

It's worth playing this system, especially if you find there are things in the current Star Wars universe that you don't like. If you don't want to include something, you can just ignore it. If you're running the game then it's your call what the content is.

I've run several games over the years in the FFG systems, and several of them for players that "don't like Star Wars". Each of the three FFG systems lends themselves to a different feel, so here's my breakdown of them:

Edge of the Empire: More like Firefly than Star Wars in many ways. Find a crew, find a job, keep flyin.
Age of Rebellion: Most like the Clone Wars series or some of the old-school Lucas-Arts games. If you want to run the table-top equivalent of Star Wars: Battlefront, the this is for you.
Force And Destiny: Closest to the books in the expanded universe, or Knights of the Old Republic.

If you don't like the sound of that, then you can tweak things in the rules to homebrew something closer to what you're after, but either way it's worth learning the dice system and how that narratively works, because it has changed the way I play tabletop RPGs forever.

I'd get into it - here's my advice.

The era focus of the lines is the Rebellion Era (special line "neutral" books add a bit more with the Rebels animated series era and Rogue One, and there's 2 that fill in the Clone Wars)

Each of the 3 lines are designed to create a specific experience and emphasize different aspects of Star Wars but those aspects bleed into each other a bit so you can easily stick to one line and get a full game experience (for example the Force and Destiny line has support for sneaky stuff, soldier stuff and social stuff etc).

Depending on how much you want to throw into the game I'd pick a line:

- Edge of the Empire for a scum and villainy game or life on the edges of the galaxy game (does scum/villainy well of course, wild west frontier style games as well, exploration)

- Age of Rebellion is focused on the Alliance's struggle against the Empire and supports soldiers, ace pilots, engineers, spies, etc in that effort. If you want a Rebellion centered game this has everything.

- Force and Destiny is focused on the legacy of the Jedi and following in their footsteps

Each of these lines has a Beginner Box set that have good adventures (and a web supplemental adventure to keep going) and come with a set of dice and some cool things like character markers and maps etc and are a great way to get into the game.

Once you pick a line I'd get the core book for that line and the setting book for that line to really help as a GM in filling out locations and NPCs and story possibilities (For Edge: Suns of Fortue or Lords or Nal Hutta; Age: Strongholds of Resistance; Force: Nexus of Power). Depending on the specific interests of your son I'd consider picking up the career book for your son's character to help out with that.

If you want to throw even more money into it I'd buy books based on the cool little rules sets that are in them - I'd recommend getting the 2 Clone Wars books as they have a bunch of those rules like Mass Combat.

We use the Force and Destiny CRB, but the game is very much a blend between EOTE and FAD.

I find these two crossover very easily, and if I had to pick either of the two, I'd go with F+D again. It's a nicer book imo also.

14 minutes ago, CloudyLemonade92 said:

I'd go with F+D again. It's a nicer book imo also.

I find myself using it most, simply because as the most recent, its index is more complete than the other core books.

I would also grab a beginner set first. Unless they really, really want to play Jedi, I wouldn't at the start as you introduce the rules system. Thus, I would suggest grabbing the Age of Rebellion beginner set first if you are not sure you are going to delve into this more. It's a good adventure and iconic Star Wars with Rebels vs. Imperials. https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebellion-Beginner-Game/dp/1616618787

If you hate it, you haven't purchased a more expensive book. If you love it, you haven't lost your money. You get a set of dice, maps, and standups with the beginner set. So, next grab ONE of the three core books that matches where your campaign is going, create your own characters, and get another set of dice.

Nothing forces you to submit to the "new canon". If you are speaking of the final trilogy, the core books are set during the Rebellion era. As others have said above, you don't need all three books. Each is a complete system.