Game of questions #5, GM - Player resource

By Ellahrairah, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Looking over the game of 20 questions, #5 always struck me as something the GM should involve themselves with. That is just my opinion though. Its a lot of work coming up with that kind of back story, so I am working on a variety of lords and ladies. Its a work in progress, that originally started out as something just for me and my little version of Rokugan, but I decided to share instead. I linked certain concepts and character inspirations in OneNote for anyone to use.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsxnlxKKqRjpi2ZXRfPA7dkN9vZf

Cheers

Daaannnnng. Nice work. Did you incorporate any of the Imperial Census into this?

2 hours ago, scottomail said:

Daaannnnng. Nice work. Did you incorporate any of the Imperial Census into this?

I didnt go too deep into the Imperial census. I just was looking at the tables for Lord creation and remembering how strict feudal Japan was. The only lord I made with that authority was the Kitsuki as I wanted to have every clan have at least a few villianous lords. There was an old samurai adage that went along the lines of: Q. What is more honorable; serving a just lord or a wicked lord. A. Serving a wicked lord, as that truly tests the mettle of bushido. I think it would be interesting to have PCs sometimes assigned that way... Lots of possibilities.

Its still a work in progress. I update that link when I come up with something interesting. I still have a long way to go though to get in all the families. I go pretty dark on some of them, so I suppose I better put a trigger warning on Yasuki Kaii, Shiba Eboshi and Ide Tatsuya... Campaigns I design tend to go in places that are a bit too controversial for publishers.

Edited by Ellahrairah
On 4/22/2020 at 3:44 AM, Ellahrairah said:

Looking over the game of 20 questions, #5 always struck me as something the GM should involve themselves with.

Agreed. Since your respective lords and duties are basically "why are you lot all here as a group".....unless the PCs are ronin and (comparatively) free agents, they only end up together if they are told to be.

To be honest, I'm a big advocate of all character creation being done cooperatively with the GM. It doesn't need to all be done in one big group, but the GM does need to know who and what they're expecting because clan rivalries will impact what is a credible story to tell, and a lot of advantages and disadvantages like ally, blackmailed by, betrothal, etc, pretty much mandate the specific npc appearing somewhere in the story (even if not in person), which has an impact on what a GM will want to do for the campaign.

Playing Wedding at Kyotei is something I recommend- it's a great story - but the GM really, really deserves to know in advance if you're turning up along with the rest of the party but you've created a Matsu Bezerker with Scorn of the Crane Clan and Sworn Enemy (Nasu Shimazu). .....

Edited by Magnus Grendel
On 4/22/2020 at 3:15 PM, Ellahrairah said:

I didnt go too deep into the Imperial census. I just was looking at the tables for Lord creation and remembering how strict feudal Japan was. The only lord I made with that authority was the Kitsuki as I wanted to have every clan have at least a few villianous lords. There was an old samurai adage that went along the lines of: Q. What is more honorable; serving a just lord or a wicked lord. A. Serving a wicked lord, as that truly tests the mettle of bushido. I think it would be interesting to have PCs sometimes assigned that way... Lots of possibilities.

Its still a work in progress. I update that link when I come up with something interesting. I still have a long way to go though to get in all the families. I go pretty dark on some of them, so I suppose I better put a trigger warning on Yasuki Kaii, Shiba Eboshi and Ide Tatsuya... Campaigns I design tend to go in places that are a bit too controversial for publishers.

Indeed. There is not much opportunity for a classic Samurai Drama if the character agrees completely with their feudal lard. If their values are in direct opposition, then that allows for maximum strife and conflict though it can become something of a farce if all of those values are in conflict. There has to be reason enough for the character to not forsake their oaths or turn on their own lord, be that loyalty to family, shared views on faith, or some other cause that acts to stay the hand and compel obedience even if it is reluctant. Indeed, the most compelling character archetype is the tragic hero that for reason both within and without his/her control, none the less carries on with their goals or duties despite it coming with a terrible cost to their health, sanity, or even life.

I like some of the characters you created. I would suggest along those lines take a look at some of the characters in the Queen Seondeok Korean Drama. The difficulties of Kim Yushin; the tragedy of Bi-Dam; the honorable vassal of Lady Mishill-the Hwarang Chilsuk and his love intrest So-Hwa; and the frustrations of princess Cheonmyeong should provide MUCH material for character creation. In many ways, these characters were more interesting than the main characters of Deokman(Queen Seondeok) and Lady Mishil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Seondeok_(TV_series)

Hwarang Chilsuk: https://queenseonduk.fandom.com/wiki/ChilSuk
Lord Bi-dam: https://queenseonduk.fandom.com/wiki/Bidam
Kim Yushin: https://queenseonduk.fandom.com/wiki/Kim_Yushin
Princess Cheonmyeong: https://queenseonduk.fandom.com/wiki/Princess_Cheonmyeong

Edited by neilcell
On 4/24/2020 at 6:54 PM, neilcell said:

I would suggest along those lines take a look at some of the characters in the Queen Seondeok Korean Drama.

Is that streaming on any service? I'll be honest. Kstuff in general generally falls flat with me... I dont know what it is, but always willing to try something new.

32 minutes ago, Ellahrairah said:

Is that streaming on any service? I'll be honest. Kstuff in general generally falls flat with me... I dont know what it is, but always willing to try something new.

I'm not sure. You will not find it on "official" channels anymore due to the fact that the Korean courts have put an injunction on any further broadcasts or distribution. Apparently the first plot thread of princess Deokman growing up in a Chinese desert was plagiarized from a Seoul-Broadway Play. MBC lost the case and as such all rights to the show reverted to the playwright. Tragic as it was a VERY popular show.

Just added a few more updates and put in some reference links for some interesting concepts. I also am trying to add in inspirations for the characters. That is not to say 'make them just like that example', but more of an idea how to present them. Many times I just add a note or two, then come back and edit it later.