Chewbacca Crew Repair Damage Card, when/how to use.

By muanis, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I’m a noob playing with my 11yrs old son. So we often struggle with rules, I think we are getting better, but so many rules!!! So please be gentle 🙂

We’re trying to understand how/when to use Chewbacca as a Crew. The cards reads: "at the start of the engagement phase, you may spend 2 [energy] to repair 1 face up damage card"

The last time we played, there were multiple times I thought it would be possible to use it. But at the end we didn’t. I think the confusion starts because from our understanding of the rules, critical damage cards (face up) need to be resolved immediately. The 2 examples I have are fuel leak and direct hit.

For Direct Hit: “Suffer 1 [hit] damage then repair this card”, my understanding is that you need to immediately get another facedown damage card and also turn this card facedown, leaving no chance for Chewbacca to “repair” the face up damage card before the effect of the card is resolved.

For Fuel Leak: “After you suffer 1 [critical] damage, suffer 1 [hit] damage and repair this card. Action: repair this card”, again resolving it immediately, leaves no chance for Chewbacca to repair. This one trying to explain now feels like shouldn’t be resolved immediately.

Needless to say we’re having tons of fun playing this during this quarantine.

welcome to the party!

Chewbacca_Crew.png

the only two faceup damage cards that resolve and repair themselves immediately are direct hit and panicked pilot, so those will never be repaired by chewbacca. all the other cards in the damage deck can be repaired by chewbacca, though.

you can carry a fuel leak around without resolving it for a whole game, since the effect requires you to suffer a critical damage, unless you use an action to repair it before that.

Fuel_Leak.png

in other words, it does not trigger from receiving itself, but stays on the ship it's assigned to until it suffers another critical damage.

Edited by meffo
On 4/19/2020 at 9:24 AM, muanis said:

We’re trying to understand how/when to use Chewbacca as a Crew. The cards reads: "at the start of the engagement phase, you may spend 2 [energy] to repair 1 face up damage card"

So Chewbacca (Crew/Rebel) is kinda interesting, because you use him " at the start of the engagement phase", so after normal moving and actions, but before shooting. This crew is probably best used to fix face up damage cards that you couldn't normally fix (Stunned Pilot, Damaged Engine and Structural Damage).

However, repairing a face up damage card with Chewbacca is not an action, so this means that you can use him even while you are stressed or if you used your normal action to do something else but still want to fix a face up damage card that you would otherwise need to spend an action on. This also means that you could potentially repair two face up damage cards in one turn, spending your action on repairing a card like Console Fire, then using Chewbacca to fix something else.