What Is A Target?

By RedEyedSoul, in Rules Questions

For all my searching, I can't answer what feels like it should be an obvious question. When can you target yourself with a technique? Some techniques feel like they could very easily include the user in targets, while others clearly cannot, but I don't see a general answer. I will list some techniques for comparison, all with different text regarding the targets.

Lightning Raid, rank 2 Fire Shuji - Once per scene, as an Attack and Movement action, you may make a TN 3 Command (Fire) check targeting any number of characters in the scene (or one cohort in a mass battle).

Success raises the initiative of all targets. Can you include yourself in this maneuver in a skirmish, or can you only boost the initiative of your companions? It seems that being able to lead the charge would work thematically, but it is unclear if you can target yourself.

Spiteful Loss, rank 1 Fire Shuji - If you fail, forfeit 1 glory . Then each participant receives strife equal to 1 plus the shortfall of the check on all participants in the game.

Theoretically, this should inflict strife on yourself since it isn't all OTHER participants, but if you are not a valid target for your own shuji, it would not cause you strife.

Ruse of the Moon's Reflection, rank 5 Air Shuji - As a Scheme action, you may make a Command (Air) check targeting any number of characters in the scene who are not hostile to each other. The TN is equal to the highest vigilance among your targets. In a mass battle, you must target all commanders (other than yourself, if applicable).

The addition of "other than yourself, if applicable" implies that you could indeed target yourself without that addendum.

Malleable Formation, rank 3 Water Shuji - Once per scene as a Movement and Support action, you may make a TN 2 Command (Water) check targeting two willing characters at range 0–2 of you who could reasonably reach one another’s positions

Theoretically, if you are a willing character, could you use this to swap yourself?

Civility Foremost, rank 2 Earth Shuji - As a Scheme action, you may make a Command or Courtesy (Earth) check targeting one character to claim protection for an individual of your choice by rights of honor. The TN of the check is equal to the target’s vigilance.

In this case, the TARGET is technically the person you are preventing from attacking. Can you claim protection for YOURSELF with this technique?

On 4/18/2020 at 11:07 PM, RedEyedSoul said:

For all my searching, I can't answer what feels like it should be an obvious question. When can you target yourself with a technique?

Yes, you can, as long as you are in range and are the type of target asked for.
- You could not commit suicide with Suijin’s Embrace, as it works at range 1-3.
- Biting Steel requires a weapon, so you cannot cast it on your fist, as you and your unarmed profiles are not weapons.

Edited by Harzerkatze

And yes, technically that means you can forbid yourself from attacking yourself for reasons of civility. 🤷‍♀️
That's silly, but so's taking an incense stick, picking up food with that and then flicking it at your seat neighbor. The mechanics won't prevent you from doing so either.

Spiteful Loss affects you too. You're being a massive **** (and know it!) and that gives everyone Strife, including yourself. You also lose glory, because you're a sore loser - but everyone else is stressed out and hopefully you or your friends can capitalize on that.

Yes, Lightning Raid lets you target yourself. Most likely that's why it has the Opp spend to let you attack too. By default, you give up your turn to let yourself and possibly others act earlier next turn. If you're good, you still get to do something on top of that.

Malleable Formation, yep.

You also forgot Tactical Assessment. You could target yourself.

Indeed. That's the distinction between "range 0-3" and "range 1-3" or "each other character" abilities.

Essentially, you're included unless there's a specific reason you aren't.

A few schools and techniques have an opportunity spend of "do not affect 1+ viable targets" for this reason...