Choice of Fellowship Frodos during Saga?

By AllWingsStandyingBy, in Rules questions & answers

During a Saga Campaign, can the players use any Fellowship-Sphere Frodo during any quest? The rules just seem to say use a Fellowship Hero with Ring-Bearer, so unless I've missed something I take it to mean you could use Mountain of Fire Frodo during the Black Rider quests, for instance?

Thanks.

Correct, any Frodo during any ringbearer quest. Sadly, the rules are not so flexible with fellowship Aragorn, like burglar Bilbo he can only be used in the boxes he came in.

I found the Frodo from The Road Darkens to be more useful when playing the first quest from The Black Riders, where you can use him to absorb attacks from the black riders.

But I switched back to the TBR Frodo for the second and third quests from The Black Riders (partly because TRD Frodo can't block The Witch-King, as his ability targets the attacking enemy, which in this case is immune to player card effects).

5 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Sadly, the rules are not so flexible with fellowship Aragorn, like burglar Bilbo he can only be used in the boxes he came in.

Is this true!? I've not played this far through the Saga boxes yet, but I couldn't see anything on a quick skim of the rules about any restrictions on Fellowship Aragorn (other than you can't use a non-Fellowship version).

Edit: To answer my own question, I found this ruling :

It is not a misprint: each of the scenarios in The Treason of Saruman and The Flame of the West is balanced against the Fellowship Aragorn included in the respective box. You cannot swap them.

Edited by steve83
1 hour ago, steve83 said:

Is this true!? I've not played this far through the Saga boxes yet, but I couldn't see anything on a quick skim of the rules about any restrictions on Fellowship Aragorn (other than you can't use a non-Fellowship version).

Edit: To answer my own question, I found this ruling :

Oops. One big asterisk on my saga completion then.

Playing 2 player Saga. In the first scenario Aragon died. We took the +1to starting threat and he switched out heroes. We still use the Saga Aragorn later on when quests add Aragorn, right? (We just finished Helms Deep & Road to Isengard.

Thanks.

You certainly use the Fellowship Aragorn for the Treason of Saruman scenarios; but I think maybe you should have to taken another +1 threat penalty when you started The Uruk-Hai.

The section in the rules for the Treason of Saruman, in the section titled Campaign Mode Rules - Aragorn:

"If Aragorn had previously been added to the list of fallen heroes, remove his name from the list and each player incurs a permanent +1 threat penalty."

I interpret that as in addition to the +1 threat penalty you must take if you replace a hero if one dies in a scenario in Campaign Mode.

This is from the Treason of Saruman manual:

If Aragorn had previously been added to the list of fallen heroes, remove his name from the list and each player incurs a permanent +1 threat penalty.

Edited by steve83