Doubts about ‘Self-sufficient’ & ‘Time of need’

By Charleesatch, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Hi all, hope you are having the best time possible in these conditions.

I used to play lots of D&D back in my day but this game is so great I am looking forward for the weekends to come in order to set it up.

Just to let you know that I did not finished my first campaign and I have some doubts, first of all regarding cards that tell us to convert inspiration into success (i.e. ‘Self sufficient’ & ‘Time of need’).
Do they refer to the convert inspiration tokens you have at the moment? These cards would be useful only when you have plenty of inspiration which I found is not usually the case.
On the contrary, do you think they refer to convert the inspiration icons you find on the cards that you draw from the skill deck once you perform a test? These could be more helpful as if I draw no successes and have no inspiration any of those two skill cards could save my day.
Please let me know what do you think.

Thanks in advance.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:42 AM, Charleesatch said:

Hi all, hope you are having the best time possible in these conditions.

I used to play lots of D&D back in my day but this game is so great I am looking forward for the weekends to come in order to set it up.

Just to let you know that I did not finished my first campaign and I have some doubts, first of all regarding cards that tell us to convert inspiration into success (i.e. ‘Self sufficient’ & ‘Time of need’).
Do they refer to the convert inspiration tokens you have at the moment? These cards would be useful only when you have plenty of inspiration which I found is not usually the case.
On the contrary, do you think they refer to convert the inspiration icons you find on the cards that you draw from the skill deck once you perform a test? These could be more helpful as if I draw no successes and have no inspiration any of those two skill cards could save my day.
Please let me know what do you think.

Thanks in advance.

It's the latter. 🙂

Any card or effect that says you can "convert" a [leaf symbol] is referring to Fate, not Inspiration. "Fate" is on the leaf circle on cards, whereas Inspiration is the tokens that you can spend when you draw Fate icons.

If it were referring to Inspiration, it would tell you to spend Inspiration and add a success, not to convert inspiration into successes.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

If it were referring to Inspiration, it would tell you to spend Inspiration and add a success, not to convert inspiration into successes.

Perhaps more importantly it would use the word “inspiration” as opposed the the leaf icon (Fate).

Thanks both for your answer.

I believe that is the key, the words convert and spend. It was confusing that they use the same symbol but the language clarified it.

I am glad to see that this is not just a simple board game with some figures. It is really complex and a challenge of its own. A good way to go back hitting the dusty roads for those of us who played role games in the past.

Looking forward to finish the campaigns.

Best wishes to you all.