Quick question about Force Powers

By oshjoshbahotdog, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

So this may seem like a dumb question but if anyone could help that would put an end to the confusion. So there’s the basic force power in the talent tree and then control upgrades and mastery of the power. The book does say that the control upgrades make changes to the power. Son what I’m wondering is when trying to use the different control version of the power do I also have to spend 🌓 on the basic power as well? the wording for a lot of the control and mastery versions make it seem like it’s a separate ability

You have to trigger the basic ability. Then you spend Force Pips to trigger upgrades. Important to note that if you have 4 Magnitude Move upgrades, it only costs 1 Force Pip to trigger them. You don't have to trigger each individually. They are pretty much the same as ranked talents: "Spend [LIGHT] to increase targets affected equal to Magnitude upgrades purchased."

The upgrades basically give you additional options for spending Force Pips, they don't override anything.

5 hours ago, oshjoshbahotdog said:

So this may seem like a dumb question but if anyone could help that would put an end to the confusion. So there’s the basic force power in the talent tree and then control upgrades and mastery of the power. The book does say that the control upgrades make changes to the power. Son what I’m wondering is when trying to use the different control version of the power do I also have to spend 🌓 on the basic power as well? the wording for a lot of the control and mastery versions make it seem like it’s a separate ability

This is kind of dependent on the power, for example in Influence, to use the control upgrade that allows you to make an opposed discipline check you do not have to spend a pip to stress the opponents mind as seen in the base power.

On the other Han (stupid Star was pun I couldn’t resist) in the move power the control upgrade to Hurl things does require you having fueled the base power so as to be able to move something in the first place.

So the answer really depends on the specific power and wording.

The way to think about itnis control upgrades addbtheir info to the base power

Edited by Daeglan

Ok thanks everybody!

The Enhance power is another one that's a bit weird.

The right side of the tree (Force Leap) requires that the original Force Leap (which is not the same as the basic Enhance power) be used and paid for with a Force pip, and spending another Force pip if the user wants to extend the range.

The left side of the tree (including the basic Enhance power) are a bunch of independant powers. Although, if the user is committing any Force dice to increase Agility, then those particular Force dice are not available to extend the skill pools for Coordination or either of the two Piloting skills.