Rebel upgrade stage question

By ™H&S ♕Fearless♕, in Imperial Assault Campaign

So we ran into a question because our DM said that during the upgrade stage that we have to choose to buy abilities before we get to see the shop and then we after we choose the abilities only then we get to buy items, after that stage we don't get to pick abilities again. Is that how it works?

Rules as written, that seems to be correct. I've never bothered enforcing that sequence myself.

Yes, that's the order, but as it makes things slower and doesn't really matter in the long run, specially in Play by Forum campaigns I draw the items, then let the rebels do their whole upgrade stage, then perform the imperial upgrade stage.

I.e. enforcing the sequence makes it harder for the beginner rebels when they would benefit from some extra help, and doesn't matter for the experienced rebel players because they already know which class cards they'll want, so you can as well ignore the order.

Edited by a1bert

I know that's how the rules are worded... but honestly it isn't as fun.

If your group wants to play by the rules - play by the rules.

Here's my brief take as to why I'd recommend ignoring the rules in this instance.

• The shop phase boils down to pure luck (it's a random card draw if that gear you're hoping for appears)
  • The XP purchase phase is pure skill - there's zero luck involved and players are in full control
  • When you have a pure skill set-up followed by a luck roll = the play experience is that the luck roll invalidates the pure skill. more often than not it just feels like a punishment, rather than a success.
  • When you have the luck roll first followed by the pure skill = the play experience is that you can use the pure skill component to account for and adjust to the luck roll. You feel smarter for getting the XP upgrades to enhance the gear that was given to you.
  • For characters with split-focus (like Vereena) this can really affect decision making

So yeah, our group has a lot more fun having the shop phase first. It's not per rules, but we enjoy it more.

I mean character building and weapon choice is one of the most fun aspects of signing up and doing a whole 10 mission campaign (as a rebel player). Whatever can be done to make that enjoyable and fun should be the goal. There might be a tiny advantage in letting them see the shop before the XP choices are made - but if you as an IP are going to be THAT cutthroat, maybe you should just play skirmish instead? 🙂

Edited by totalnoob

I've never been concerned about upgrade order during my campaigns and we do it all simultaneously. I tell the players how much XP and credits they have and lay out the item cards and they can pick and do as they wish. At the same time I do my class upgrade and then we're all done at about the same time.