Tips for a two sword wielding rōnin build

By Nheko, in Rules Questions

Hello there,

Guys, can you give me a few pointers/tips on how optimize a Rōnin Wanderer’s Blade who specializes in two weapon fighting.

I assume that Ambidexterity and Spinning Blades are given, any other kata I should take?

Thanks in advance.

Twin Streams Style is a good one for fighting with two swords, but it's rank 3 so not available day 1.

Depending on what you plan on using for your off-hand weapon, iai strikes are good, as they stop you "wasting" actions on drawing weapons ( concealable weapons work too), whilst if you plan on having a snaring off-hand weapon like a jitte, coiling serpent isn't a bad pick.

A lot depends on the weapon pairing you have in mind. Two of your signature weapon is cool and all, but isn't that much better than one...

You're also limited in that whilst you get a rarity 8 weapon, your 'other weapon' is rarity 4. There's an argument for one-blunt-one-sharp, maybe?

Edited by Magnus Grendel

There's also an argument to be made for having a cheap/disposable off-hand weapon, for destructive parries.

Thanks guys for your responses.

Really dumb question, but doesn’t Question from Path of Waves allows you to get another weapon of higher rarity?

16. what are your 16. what are your relationships to your relationships to your family, the clans, family, the clans, peasants, and others?

Choose one item of rarity 7 or lower that was a gift from one of the groups your character has a positive relationship with.

So you can choose a wakizashi, or butterfly swords?

Edited by Nheko
1 hour ago, Nheko said:

Thanks guys for your responses.

Really dumb question, but doesn’t Question from Path of Waves allows you to get another weapon of higher rarity?

16. what are your 16. what are your relationships to your relationships to your family, the clans, family, the clans, peasants, and others?

Choose one item of rarity 7 or lower that was a gift from one of the groups your character has a positive relationship with.

So you can choose a wakizashi, or butterfly swords?

Good point - forgot that. Then yes.

I don't think there's any mechanical benefit to a pair of butterfly swords, but it is narratively appropriate and being able to have a higher-rarity off-hand weapon is certainly a good thing.

28 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Good point - forgot that. Then yes.

I don't think there's any mechanical benefit to a pair of butterfly swords, but it is narratively appropriate and being able to have a higher-rarity off-hand weapon is certainly a good thing.

Butterfly swords have the snaring quality.

Yes, but I mean there's limited benefit to having a pair of them instead of one and something else.

Ahh, sorry for the miss understanding. 😓