Build an Ascetic in Edge of the Empire

By player5218277, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hello everyone,

I have let my old character in our star wars round leave my group because I got pretty bored of her (I made her believing that we would only have a one shot, but then we decided to play long term). So now I need a new character. Problem is, I'm not really that familiar with the star wars universe (I have seen the films but I never understood what was going on much) and edge of the empire, which we are playing, isn't actually 'my' setting.

So, I am currently at a twilek ascetic, someone who ran away, who spend a long time very much with herselves and understanding her force, and is going out for adventure for self-improvent as she believes that she needs to test herself in the real world now. I liked the whole spiritual theme of the ascetic, and it seemed to me that it should work outside of force and destiny by having a character become aware of their force rather early and spend quite some time alone to work with it. I also liked to have a bit of an antipole to the other, somewhat stereotypical twilek in the group who is rather sly, tends to keep on the sidelines, and is generally quite charming to people with someone who is quite a obviously confident character, strong-willed and self-sufficient.

I find it a bit hard to fill the gaps when it comes to the story because I don't really know too much about star wars planets and where she should have grown up. I can't have her be outwardly force user, so I will have to think about some kind of cover what to say it is what she is doing other than meditating about the force. I think I will need some sort of secondary career to give me cover and to have some value for the group, but I'm somewhat unsure what would work well with the ascetic theme and mechanics. I think I have about 185 extra XP at my disposal to make my character balance with the other characters (not for attributes though).

Thank you for listening :).

Bumping this so others can see it more easily (stupid mod delay). I may come back with thoughts later, but right now I don't got nuthin ', just not much of somethin'.

Okay, so it sounds like what's needed is both build help and flavour/background help.

One possibility is that she's a trained archaeologist with a very small budget, so she's been doing a lot of small or solo digs and therefore spending a lot of time alone in wild places. Archaeologist is an Explorer specialization found in Enter the Unknown, and seems a bit like Indiana Jones.

A similar possibility is that she's a trained biologist and animal behaviour expert, so she'd been off in the wilds watching ... nexu? rheeks? something. Hermit is a Seeker specialization found in Savage Spirits. She can gain an animal companion from that tree, and the tree has two Force Rating talents (but no Dedication talent).

In both cases above she need not have had formal training, but simply have been a local employee who picked up a lot of expertise while helping the leader of the project. If the project then shut down, then that would be an excuse to start doing other stuff (adventuring).

If the background extends to having been a padawan (apprentice Jedi) during Order 66 (the mass execution of the Jedi by the clone soldiers at the end of the Clone Wars and beginning of the Empire) who managed to escape into the wilderness on some planet, then the Padawan Survivor universal specialization is a possibility. It is found in the Dawn of Rebellion era sourcebook, and supplies some useful and necessary skills/talents if she intends to swing a lightsabre (and build one). Universal specializations have the advantage of costing the same as a career specialization, but can't be used for the very first specialization.

There are two other universal specializations which could be useful even if she's not an Order 66 survivor: Force Sensitive Exile (EotE rulebook) and Force Sensitive Emergent (AoR rulebook).

A good generic starting Force power is Enhance.

Edited by Bellona

Remember, the three lines are fully compatible. My advice is get the F&D rule book and the Consular source book, Disciples of Harmony . It includes an Ascetic specialization.

17 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Remember, the three lines are fully compatible. My advice is get the F&D rule book and the Consular source book, Disciples of Harmony . It includes an Ascetic specialization.

I think that the OP already has that book (or access to it). The build part of the question refers to the "secondary career".

Hey OP, I’m curious how things turned out?