Recipe for Decorrelating Genesys Dice

By Raithe2000, in Genesys

Good afternoon all,

I shared this on the discord channel, and thought I'd put it up for forum community as well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MnadI324yoLZ8TifqDInWFuWT3jtAgaK

I discuss the genesys dice statistics and how success and advantage are correlated. Much of the community responses so far have been that this is a positive feature.

I wouldn't argue that people should change their preference in this respect, but I do describe a couple ways to break this correlation, if it appeals to your group.

This is really interesting. It's a topic that's always nigglrd at me so it's cool to see you've tried a different approach. As you say, it's not necessarily better or worse, but if you want to try a slightly different play experience, it's probably with a shot.

I think we'll stick to the default in my group, though. I don't feel like putting stickers on my dice.

I actually really enjoyed reading this compared to what I was expecting! I noticed a couple typo like errors. The boost die in the appendix, the caption is "unmodified" even though all of the other listed dice are "modified".

I think there was an extra "of" here "...relation between of success and advantage," which is 2nd introductory paragraph, third line.

I could be wrong but I thought I'd just let you know! I'm glad you included the appendix too, In case I decide to mix up the play experience when I eventually get another game~

Cool, I'm glad you liked it. I'm sure I have some rough writing, I was getting a bit tired as I wrapped it up.

The boost die is a special case: that die was already good enough for correlation, so I didn't adjust it.

I had a lot of fun doing the sims. I started out just trying to figure out what the shape of the statistics was for Genesys; and then got deep in the challenge of modifying the dice without breaking the system. I've been using the modified dice on tabletop simulator with my group, and have found that I really like it. I became frustrated with how often players would roll 5 advantage and no success. This is cool occasionally, but it was happening several times per session. It still occurs now, but not with nearly the same frequency.

-Jeremy Danielson