Failed Evade and Combat

By RatafakECW, in Arkham Horror

Hello,

One thing, which is not clear to me from rulebook, please feel free to correct me:

- Combat happens in movement phase (unless monster surprise you, e.g as a result of an encounter card, then it happens in a myth phase or immediatelly)?

- Are you allowed to Evade monster, which surprised you?

- Once you sucesfully roll for Evade check, you can carry on with movement or encounter or whatever (when not surprised)...

- Once you failed Evade - monster will damage your health and combat begins

Now... when exactly combat begins? To my understanding is, that when you will fail evade check, you'll get damage and next movement phase you'll have to roll horror check and then either fight or flee...is this correct?

Thank you :)

Edited by RatafakECW

There is no 'combat'. During the investigator phase you can spend an action to engage and attack a monster. You do damage according to your test result.

If a monster engages an investigator during the monster phase (or if you're engaged already) , you do not get to attack (or evade) until the next investigator phase. Instead you take damage from each monster and you don't get to perform an encounter.

While engaged you can only attack, evade, or focus. If you successfully evade, you get a free action. If you fail to evade you will have spent that action for nothing and you remain engaged.

Are we talking about the same game? It sound like rules from another mythos game...