BSG

By Wayne Argabright, in X-Wing Off-Topic

anyone play the BSG game? I have it but have never played? wonder how it compares to x-wing

I've heard good things, but embarrassingly I have never seen a single episode of BSG so I haven't looked too hard at it.

I do remember the starter kit being kind of pricey, something like 60 bucks or something. Maybe cheaper now.

The Ares Games one?

Have it, but not played it. I have played their Wings of Glory games, which share a lot of similarities. Meh. For the most part, it feels to me like their games need more development, they work, and have some neat concepts, but some stuff just doesn't gel, and the BSG game seems the same to me.

I will say that the ship dashboard things are not particularly user friendly, the sliders don't move as easily as they should, and seem to get stuck a lot. That might work itself out with time, or they might break.

The expansions seemed to have a lot less content than an X-Wing ship.

Since you have it, you probably already know, but for the benefit of others, the miniatures are absolutely gorgeous. REALLY well done sculpts and paintjobs, up to pilot call signs being printed on the ships which I needed a magnifying glass to actually read.

I really wish they had gone with a smaller scale. I get that they are kinda committed to 1/144th because of their other games, but it would be nice if they matched X-Wing in scale. I may work up some BSG cards and use them anyway.

The few folks i've seen playing it, like only the 'ship slide' part of it. BUT I do agree, from all i've seen, there's not that many expansions...

I demoed it and bought the core set the same day... and haven't even opened it except once to inspect it. The miniatures are really nice and I like the maneuver system well enough. Haven't picked up any expansions yet.

I did buy it for the miniatures as they were gorgeous. And I loved the series, actually more than starwars movies.. I like the cartoons better! Any way. Yeah expansions are going to be less, but I thought the movement abilities were more akin to actual space flight, whereas x-wing is more like atmospheric maneuvering in space. The BSG new version series portrays that..

Btw I have most of their wings of glory and war stuff too, both ww1 and 2.

Amusing anecdote. Years ago, when I was at GenCon, a friend and I were thinking about getting into Wings of Glory, so we stopped by the Ares booth for a demo. The guys they had demoing the game were so bad we were almost convinced to not buy into the game. After about a minute of explaining the rules, I seemed to have a better grasp of them than the guy teaching it.

I wonder, if they'd ever do a version of Armada for the larger ships?!

8 hours ago, LTuser said:

I wonder, if they'd ever do a version of Armada for the larger ships?!

They've talked about having capital ships in the game in the past, seemingly in the same game. Interview below is from 2018 and I've not seen other announcements on that front myself (but I've not kept very up to date on the game, either, so someone else might know more).

http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9428&title=scopriamo-battlestar-galactica-starship-battles-con-angiolino-e-mainini#English

GN : Will we be able to field the capital ships (battlestars, transports, and so on)?

Andrea Mainini : Sure you will!

Andrea Angiolino : Well, not immediately I believe, but very soon anyway ...

I just desperately want the classic ships. I've always loved the original Raider design.

22 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

I just desperately want the classic ships. I've always loved the original Raider design.

It's like a prettier Scurrg!

c4c4b3ddbee09ab313c6ea46e7a1e391.jpg

On 4/8/2020 at 8:09 AM, Forgottenlore said:

I've always preferred the new series' take on everything classic. You can't tell me this isn't a faithful recreation and then some.

3065567255_d1705c2380_b.jpg

You know, all you people ought to play Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. It's an extremely good BSG game. Don't be turned off by the fact it isn't quite an RTS. It's very very much worth your time.

5 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

It's like a prettier Scurrg!

c4c4b3ddbee09ab313c6ea46e7a1e391.jpg

I wonder, did the designers THINK OF the original raider, when doing the visuals FOR the Scurrg?

1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

You know, all you people ought to play Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. It's an extremely good BSG game. Don't be turned off by the fact it isn't quite an RTS. It's very very much worth your time.

I might give it a look.

3 hours ago, LTuser said:

I wonder, did the designers THINK OF the original raider, when doing the visuals FOR the Scurrg?

Nah I doubt it. There's similarities but they're far from similar ships in concept.