Water Stance Extra action

By Ruffles240, in Rules Questions

So in the rulebook it says an "Additional Action" can be taken on your turn, but my group thinks that because the character sheet says "Second action" that it means a second action that needs no roll can only be taken after your first. They say that that means the character sheet acts like an FAQ for the rule in the book. Is there any official evidence I can give them that this is the wrong interpretation considering EVERY other interpretation seems to be it doesn't matter? One of the players says there's no point in Iaijutsu techniques with that interpretation since you can draw and strike.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, your group thinks the action that doesn't require a roll has to be the second one. Is that right?

Being able to attack and then move but not move and then attack seems a little odd to me. I've never heard of someone interpreting it that way, so I'm not sure you're going to find an official response. I'm pretty sure the reason the wording is different on the character sheet is because they have a finite amount of space to cram everything in (it's the longest stance description as it is).

I guess you could contact FFG though?

On 4/3/2020 at 2:19 AM, Ruffles240 said:

One of the players says there's no point in Iaijutsu techniques with that interpretation since you can draw and strike.

If that's their take on it, have their opponent Predict Water every turn. Then they'll quickly realize the utility of the Iaijutsu techs.

You can take an extra action that does not require a check (if you could center in void, you could do it) and does not share a type with the other action.

So, if you took a move action an no rolls, you can still strike or use a Kata that does not use Move or vice-versa.

If you are the GM just say this is how you see it an be done. They are right though, that you can draw and strike on the same turn with Water Stance, but if that is always going to be your first round, I see a lot of predicts happening to your players.

On 4/3/2020 at 7:19 AM, Ruffles240 said:

One of the players says there's no point in Iaijutsu techniques with that interpretation since you can draw and strike.

Iai cuts also use the deadliness value of the sword, not it's damage rating, and often have a more flexible range (crossing cut 1-2, rising blade 0-1), making a katana more flexible and powerful on an iaijutsu strike. Plus, they can be used from a 'safe' air or earth stance or fire stance where literally every result on the dice increases the damage (success is obvious, strife is bonus successes, opportunity with a razor-edged sword increases deadliness).

By comparison, water stance is the only way to draw-and-strike in one round if you don't have such a kata (which many samurai won't).

Edited by Magnus Grendel