Fan made stuff? Orcs, Dwarves, etc?

By 1mikethebuilder1, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Hi folks, I found some fan-made stuff scattered around. I found the Dunwarr Dwarves thread and Saruman the White's expansion packs for the existing factions. Anything else I'm missing? Any orcs yet? Thanks. With the game unsupported us fans have to keep the game going by making up our own stuff.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, 1mikethebuilder1 said:

Hi folks, I found some fan-made stuff scattered around. I found the Dunwarr Dwarves thread and Saruman the White's expansion packs for the existing factions. Anything else I'm missing? Any orcs yet? Thanks. With the game unsupported us fans have to keep the game going by making up our own stuff.

My kids and I have been playing a lot of Rune Age, and my oldest is SO sad there are no Orcs for Runewars. We are picking up some more units to flesh out the existing armies (if for no other reason than to practice painting). And if they like the game well enough, we will definitely be testing out some fan-made Orc material.

I'm working on my own Orc faction but it's going to take some time. Gotta have those orcs!

On 4/12/2020 at 7:24 PM, Parakitor said:

My kids and I have been playing a lot of Rune Age, and my oldest is SO sad there are no Orcs for Runewars. We are picking up some more units to flesh out the existing armies (if for no other reason than to practice painting). And if they like the game well enough, we will definitely be testing out some fan-made Orc material.

A good starting point is to take the rules for a unit from one faction and use different models, using say Outland Scouts as orc tribal warriors, and Spined Threshers as the dinosaur-esque orc cavalry mounts.

There has been someone on the RuneWars: The Miniatures Game Facebook group posting battle reports with a homebrew Orc army. I haven't seen the army list, but you could check there.

I am updating the stuff I did for Daqan and Waiqar. Iā€™m also formatting it so you can take to an online card shop and print it off.. Give me another couple of weeks.... (hopefully) šŸ˜€

On 5/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, kris40k said:

There has been someone on the RuneWars: The Miniatures Game Facebook group posting battle reports with a homebrew Orc army. I haven't seen the army list, but you could check there.

Are there some non-Facebook links?

I've now finally completed my RWM set (yup I have it all) so am planning on realizing my long held aim of doing some new stuff to link Descent minis into the game and also to bring RWM/Descent entities to Battlelore- during lockdown I got heavily into playing the PC at Battlelore Command (the pc game which is great but annoyingly lacks the undead and Latari although I don't think the Latari made it to the game anyway, which I intend to fix with the help of RWM kit), the PC still beats me a fair few times- it's about 50-50 so far- as it can be quite tricky managing the limits of which units you can command which is a challenge I really love with the game- it adds quite an extra layer of head scratching- 'but I need to move everything in the middle of the battlefield NOW' hehe.

Playing Battlelore Command I got some ideas how I could make the RWM portover work for the board game- possibly by having unit count tokens due to the figures being bigger- so rather than having three figures for three members of a unit maybe there is one figure and three counters. Also ideas for maps and challenges for custom battlefield settings. As I'm working on a massive fanmade Terrinoth/Mennara saga for various games it might be quite fun to have different 'chapters' of that developing 'story arc' for different games so one part might be a RWM battle, another a Battlelore battlefield showdown, another a Descent adventure, then a Genesys RPG session..... but all tied together where players can dive into the bits they like the sound of that suit how/what they play. That way it's also not too much content for one game- splits it up a bit.

Battlelore's still an epic game and the Descent tiles have potential so there are quite a few possible homebrew combos of the various games I've already done a lot of thinking about with some ideas to try out.

If you like any Descent 2e kit grab it now as it seems to be getting harder to get and possibly going out of production, the same goes for any other Terrinoth kit just in case. D2e especially has plenty of RWM/Battlelore etc potential.

Have some fun stuff in mind for the dragons too as these games NEED more dragons :)

ps as some places now have rwm quite cheap you could maybe get some extras to get some spare dials etc to customise (but test things out before customising them more permanently)

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
ps