Still worth it and if so what to get

By crimsonsun, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

I'm sure you'll see a ton of these thread but as someone with all of Descent 1st and 2nd edition is it worth me picking up imperial assualt, I'm a go big or go home kinda person so if its worth getting what expansions are must have and what villian/ally packs are must have. Likely I'll pick up all the expansions eventually if I invest and I'll prob kick in around Β£300 to begin with so what's good what's not and is it really worth it?

1 hour ago, crimsonsun said:

I'm sure you'll see a ton of these thread but as someone with all of Descent 1st and 2nd edition is it worth me picking up imperial assualt, I'm a go big or go home kinda person so if its worth getting what expansions are must have and what villian/ally packs are must have. Likely I'll pick up all the expansions eventually if I invest and I'll prob kick in around Β£300 to begin with so what's good what's not and is it really worth it?

There are other differences, but the two biggest changes from Descent 2e would be the theme (a personal preference thing) and the fact that the overlord/players take alternating turns (IMO a big improvement). I mean if you're into Star Wars then it's definitely worthwhile - the game is very well-made and it's a lot of fun. And even with just the core box there's a whole lot of game there, so it's easy enough to just get that to "dip your toe in" and to see if it's worth getting anything else.

As for top expansions, how are you planning on playing? The standard 1v4 campaigns? The app campaigns? Skirmish?

If you're planning on playing with the app, the Jabba's Realm or Return to Hoth campaign boxes are the next logical steps, as each of those will unlock a whole new app campaign. If you're playing regular campaigns, really any of the expansions are great (although Jabba's is still probably the favourite of mine). But again, there's a lot of game in the core set so you might be better off just playing through that first to see how you like it.

As for ally/villain packs, it depends a bit again on where your priorities lie πŸ™‚ . Most of the named characters from the movies (Han, Leia, Boba Fett, IG-88, etc.) show up from time to time in the various campaign missions as cardboard tokens. Buying their packs doesn't add a whole lot of new content (generally it's just a single side mission that may or may not be played over the course of a campaign) but if you're the type of person who doesn't like to mix 3-D plastic characters with 2-D cardboard ones then getting the packs that go with the campaign you're playing might be your top priority. If that's not something that you care about, there are a few packs (Hired Guns, ISB Infiltrators, Dewbacks, Jawa, Bantha) that add generic troops that the imperial player can bring in any time, which is a great way to add some variety. Finally, there's always the tried and true approach of "buy the characters you think look coolest"!

As someone who recently completed the first Descent campaign, I would say that IA is lot more balanced.

You no longer roll the blue die with a guaranteed miss on the attack. You can have the defender completely dodge the attack, or you could fail to make range on your attack. (Range in Descent is measured by squares between targets. In IA you also need to include the square the target is on.)

Large figures do not shrink down to a size of 1 square to run across the map. They are required to move as the size they are, and can walk over other units of a smaller size, which would get pushed out of the way if they then end their move on top of a unit.

Attribute tests are done with the attack dice. You just need to roll the surge result for a success, as opposed to the Overlord constantly forcing you to roll black and white defence dice and roll a total shield value under a certain value.

Galactic Empire units cannot heal. Players can heal. When you rest, any leftover strain (fatigue) that you would have recovered if you weren't maxed out will recover health, so you re no longer doomed for not taking a healer.

2 minutes ago, onyersix said:

Large figures do not shrink down to a size of 1 square to run across the map. They are required to move as the size they are, and can walk over other units of a smaller size, which would get pushed out of the way if they then end their move on top of a unit.

Most large figures do not.. only Massive figures can end movement on top of other figures, not E-Webs or Nexus.

2 hours ago, onyersix said:

Galactic Empire units cannot heal. Players can heal. When you rest, any leftover strain (fatigue) that you would have recovered if you weren't maxed out will recover health, so you re no longer doomed for not taking a healer.

Those of us that know IA know what you mean, so please take this as a clarification, not a correction, for those that may not 😁 : Heroes (Rebel Player characters) have a rest action which works as you describe, outside of the app. Other figures, both Imperial and Rebel, must use other abilities to heal.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Here's my opinion on the highs and lows of each boxed expansion.

TLDR: Get Jabba's Realm first, then either Return to Hoth or Heart of the Empire, depending on how much you want to get into either the app or Skirmish, respectively. Any of the small box expansions are good, but have different downsides. You definitely want Hired Guns, Alliance Rangers, and some of the later blister pack units if you want to get into Skirmish.

Twin Shadows - generally regarded as one of the weaker expansions. The mini-campaign is solid, but the heroes are just not as fun to play as the Core Box. FFG was still getting the balance fine-tuned with this one. You really don't see many of the units used much in skirmish either, save for R2-D2 and C3P0, which you can buy separately.

Return to Hoth - The setting never did much to excite me, and the bane/boon system actually decreases replay value on the campaign, but the missions themselves are well structured, and the heroes are a blast to play. This box doesn't have much for Skirmish either, especially for the Imperials. Leia is good for Rebels in skirmish, but you can buy her separately as well. The app also has a campaign on it that uses this box, so there's some extra value there if you want to play that.

Bespin Gambit - Setting is cool. Mini-campaign is great, but challenging for the Rebels. Murne is a great Rebel hero, but Davith is not. Once again, the Imperials and get very little to diversify your Skirmish lists. Scum gets a little more thanks to Bossk.

Jabba's Realm - if you want expansions, this is the first one I'd get. The game really hit its stride here. Lots of great heroes with different playstyles, multiple units for Imperials, Rebels, and especially Scum to add to their Skirmish lists, some good rule changes that people started incorporating into all their campaigns are added here, and it's supported by the app. Great buy

Heart of the Empire - another great campaign with great heroes and Imperial units. Some other interesting mechanics and rule changes introduced. As far as Skirmish, this box did for the Imperials what Jabba's Realm did for Scum. It's not supported by the app, but recent communication from FFG means that may change in the future.

Tyrants of Lothal - A good campaign, and very strong (perhaps too strong??) heroes, but it may not be your cup of tea if you don't like or watch the Rebels TV show. Some people feel this box tilted the balance of Skirmish battles towards the Rebels with all the Spectre cell units. Others disagree.

Other blister pack units I'd pick up: Hired Guns (very fun unit to put in campaign, and kind of a must buy for Skirmish), Wookie Warriors, Stomtroopers, Bantha Rider, Bossk, and pretty much any of the blister units released from Wave 7 onwards (Obi-Wan, Greedo, and the Inquisitor)

What I'm looking to play 1 verses many and using the app solo/co-op. I didn't know skirmish was a thing so its something I hadn't considered but would look into.

Seems Jabbas realm is the most recomended but also is out of stock in the UK from what I can tell but I'll keep my eyes open. I will see what I can get, is this being reprinted at all, looking at the FFG website its impossible to tell and everything is out of stock making me wonder if its still viable to get into Imperial Assault right now.

FFG's webstore doesn't say out of stock, it says not available - FFG can't sell IA online. This is due to a complex licensing issue - I don't bore with the long version - the same applies to SW: Rebellion and SW: Outer Rim.

Edited by a1bert
39 minutes ago, a1bert said:

FFG's webstore doesn't say out of stock, it says not available - FFG can't sell IA online. This is due to a complex licensing issue - I don't bore with the long version - the same applies to SW: Rebellion and SW: Outer Rim.

So does that mean that they actually have stock and its still in production? Not to worry I imagine Disney happened lisence wise but is there a way to know if its still being printed?

In a recent interview FFG said Imperial Assault is on the reprint schedule. Some retailers may have cleared it out from their stock to make room for newer games, so you may need to look or ask for IA products.

See the main forum threads with topic "Not Available" for the rest of the story. (or just Google for 'Imperial Assault Not available')

Edited by a1bert

Thanks for all the good info here guys. I also just got into the game and have invested into 63% (collection % in the app) and bought Core set, Jabbas exp, twin shadows exp, Return to Hoth exp and tons of heroes and villains packs. πŸ™‚

Oh! FFG can’t sell. That explains the reprints are happening comment even though there own site never has anything. That confused me.
I also jumped in recently with coreset. Bunch of expansions arrived today and more on the way from a different online store.

Super enjoying the game and I totally recommend

Imperial assault is amazing. All forms of play. I hope more app and products are in the the future.