Alternate Morality System

By pholland, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Nah

Edited by pholland

Looks like your attachment was removed for some reason. You might need to host it on a different platform.

• That's weird, I've just downloaded it from my message and it's fine...

Yeah, also getting the "attachment not available." Might be something to do with the forums, and that anyone other than the OP doesn't have permission to access the file.

As for Morality systems, honestly the simplest fix that I've encountered (and one that I frequently use) is that instead of rolling at the end of each session, the PCs roll at the end of each adventure. That way, those little gains of Conflict will have more opportunity to add up, making it a little more difficult to hit Paragon status and a little harder to just dismiss minor transgressions. It also means that talents which provide Conflict at the start of each session also have substantially more weight, especially if your adventures take three to five sessions to complete.

I also had issues with the system. Some of my players were pretty much sleepwalking to Paragon while just being some average joe going about their business.

So, we got rid of the dice roll completely and I started giving out Conflict and Peace points. Depending on their actions. A little more to track but it definately feels more realistic.

Interested to seeing what you had in mind though when that attachment is available.

I'm out

Edited by pholland
1 hour ago, pholland said:

I can't understand why it isn't there!

Essentially, what happens is:

Player decides on a 'balancing factor'- one of their attributes, adds 5 and their ranks in discipline to it. That gives their maximum number of conflict.

Then, they can choose to 'rebalance' at any point in a scene (though they have to if they reach their threshold). Each balancing factor gives a positive and a negative way of rebalancing- essentially they generally can't do anything the turn after the positive and reduce their conflict by half. If they use the negative they might do something useful (though uncontrolled) but remove all of the conflict. Then they increase their Morality by the points lost if they positively rebalanced, or reduce by the points lost if negative.

Players have total agency here, rather than being at the whims of dice (e.g. my noble diplomat who was just mean a lot and ended up on 100 morality).

The reason for the die mechanic is to avoid people gaming the system. Which i suspect your system can have happen

Edited by Daeglan
1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

The reason for the die mechanic is to avoid people gaming the system. Which insuspect your system can have happen

Pretty much any alleged "fix" for the Morality mechanic that removes the random element is an open invitation to metagame the system to get the desired outcome.

While the declared intent is often "I don't want it to be so easy for my PCs to become Light Side Paragons!", the end result of such efforts is that it becomes incredibly easy to metagame one's way into being a LS Paragon as fast if not faster than under the RAW.

3 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

The reason for the die mechanic is to avoid people gaming the system. Which i suspect your system can have happen

As opposed to complete random nonsense that doesn't reflect interesting story or the Star Wars Universe?

If you don't want to use it, don't.

19 minutes ago, pholland said:

As opposed to complete random nonsense that doesn't reflect interesting story or the Star Wars Universe?

If you don't want to use it, don't.

I suspect you do not actually understand how the morality mechanic works, Probably because you havent read the GM section. Because it is not completely random. The amount you go up has some randomness to the results but what really decides are your characters actions.

The problem is in old systems which are similar to yours would result in players gaming the system. getting made because someone pointed out that problem is no reason to get mad.

15 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

I suspect you do not actually understand how the morality mechanic works, Probably because you havent read the GM section. Because it is not completely random. The amount you go up has some randomness to the results but what really decides are your characters actions.

The problem is in old systems which are similar to yours would result in players gaming the system. getting made because someone pointed out that problem is no reason to get mad.

Not understanding?

Oh dear, now I remember why I didn't bothe rposting this when I first thought of it. The foolish people on these forums.

I understand the rules perfectly. They just don't quite work right.

Well, I'm out.

I have had the same experience of players raising to paragon quickly. I think this is because of the frequency of rolling conflict. When we did it after each session the player climbed quickly. So I started to roll after players finish a chapter, or story arc. This seems to help keep the players around the middle or bottom of paragon (for my game).

I think the climb also depends on the story being presented to them. If they are not being challenged often with situations that give conflict they will climb. Also how much they try to use force powers, a lot of the conflict my players earn are when using dark side points. The one paragon in my current group rarely used force powers if any dark side points are needed, others are more willing to dip in the dark side.

11 minutes ago, pholland said:

Not understanding?

Oh dear, now I remember why I didn't bothe rposting this when I first thought of it. The foolish people on these forums.

I understand the rules perfectly. They just don't quite work right.

Well, I'm out.

So you solution is one that can more easily be abused by players. Got it.

Just now, damnkid3 said:

I have had the same experience of players raising to paragon quickly. I think this is because of the frequency of rolling conflict. When we did it after each session the player climbed quickly. So I started to roll after players finish a chapter, or story arc. This seems to help keep the players around the middle or bottom of paragon (for my game).

I think the climb also depends on the story being presented to them. If they are not being challenged often with situations that give conflict they will climb. Also how much they try to use force powers, a lot of the conflict my players earn are when using dark side points. The one paragon in my current group rarely used force powers if any dark side points are needed, others are more willing to dip in the dark side.

Well said.

The fix for me not sleep walking to paragon? I'm playing a Juyo berserker. That spec just begs for you to be dark.

6 hours ago, pholland said:

I'm out

Good riddance.

For anyone who comes here looking for a way to have a functioning Morality mechanic, using nothing but RAW, it's really pretty easy.

In brief you just have to frame "everything" (the plot) in your game with "the easy way" and "the hard way".

Where"the easy way" is achieved by taking Conflict-worthy actions (initiating combat, lieing, stealing, Coercion, etc.) and using the Force (which is more likely than not to result in Conflict due to light and dark pip balance).

And "the hard way" is achieved by taking Jedi-like actions (not initiating combat, not murdering everyone, not seeking power over every situation through the Force).

And really, in my experience, you only have to use this until you're PCs get to around Force Rating 3, cuz at that point they usually start getting enough Conflict to balance the d10 roll just by using all of their Upgraded Force Powers.

This works. Guaranteed.

I've been doing it this way for over four years now, I pretty much exclusively run Force & Destiny Careers-only games. And this works.

You use Fear too. Liberally, early on.

And you also just pay attention to RP, and ask Players when their Character is experiencing strong emotions if they'll willingly take Conflict, or roll a check to about it. They, in my experience, virtually always say, yes.

Do these simple things and you're gonna have a functioning, RAW Morality mechanic. Where the PCs are actually having to do "good" things to be a Paragon.

Edited by emsquared