New? Need help? Ask me anything!

By mattman285, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

I have completed the main campaign 6 times(4-2 win/loss). I have the expansion as well. If you need help with rules, strategy, painting, organizing etc just ask as I have it all! Just here to help!

Tips:

1. Open exploration/threat tokens ASAP. Each hero counts as 2 threat. Exploration and threat tokens count as 1 each.

2. Playing 2-3 players? Add success! After you get both 12xp cards of a class, switch to another class and get those 12xp cards as well! Example, Aragorn start as Captain and switch to Guardian(has a level 7 success card in the deck!).

3. Use Legolas in every game, get cleave. You will mow down the enemies. He gets very overpowered later on!

4. Prepare your weakness and other non-success cards. If you prepare a success you should use it that same turn to get it back in your deck(few exceptions).

5. Search 2 tokens in 1 turn by using the Pathfinder, or Legolas, Sprint ability! It’s a free 1 space move!

6. You can predict the kind of test based on the descriptive text(example: If you have to move or lift something, likely a strength test. Have to quickly climb something? Likely agility!).

7. Take your time. Know everyone’s abilities and weapons so you do not miss out on free inspiration, healing, etc.

8. Mix the weapons up and have fun with the combos of classes. After all, Dwarfs are natural sprinters!

Edited by mattman285

Very good tips ! Thanks!

Hi, have some questions.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:56 PM, mattman285 said:

Tips:

4. Prepare your weakness and other non-success cards. If you prepare a success you should use it that same turn to get it back in your deck(few exceptions).

8. Mix the weapons up and have fun with the combos of classes. After all, Dwarfs are natural sprinters!

4. What happens when you run out of cards in the discard pile in a round either from scouting or testing? Is part of the strategy not to burning cards and leaving some? Or at some point can you re-shuffle the discard pile of needed?

8. Aren't you stuck with items assigned by the app until you get upgrades or find trinkets?

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

Hidden:

1. Is using it required upon first chance of attack or defense? Can it be held until electing to use?

2. If hidden, must you still be required to provoke enemies in your space?

Thanks for the offer to help!

Edited by Bane of Glaurung
Mistakes
12 hours ago, Bane of Glaurung said:

Hi, have some questions.

4. What happens when you run out of cards in the discard pile in a round either from scouting or testing? Is part of the strategy not to burning cards and leaving some? Or at some point can you re-shuffle the discard pile of needed?

When you do not have enough cards to complete a test, you completely reshuffle your deck but to not scout! Simply reshuffle and test.

8. Aren't you stuck with items assigned by the app until you get upgrades or find trinkets?

When you start a game, you can assign any weapon you would like if the character can equip it. Beyond that you have to use the same weapon for the entire campaign.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

Hidden:

1. Is using it required upon first chance of attack or defense? Can it be held until electing to use?

You can choose to add a success when attacking, thus electing not to use it. However, if you are attacked you must discard hidden to negate damage.

2. If hidden, must you still be required to provoke enemies in your space?

Yes. You must provoke. Certain skill cards will allow you to leave a space without provoking when hidden. Normally though, you still provoke, then discard the card to prevent all damage.

Thanks for the offer to help!

See above

Thanks so much for the answers! I have a follow-up question.

When the app says for an enemy to Move X and attack hero, or closest hero, does that mean it must move X spaces and determine if it can attack, or move up to X spaces?

Does the enemy have to attack the named hero if it is able to, or can a party decide to let it attack the nearest hero instead? Can it not move at all and attack a hero already in its space, or nearby if it has range?

It is hard sometimes to know if things are options or are written in a strict order of operations, you know?

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Bane of Glaurung said:

Thanks so much for the answers! I have a follow-up question.

When the app says for an enemy to Move X and attack hero, or closest hero, does that mean it must move X spaces and determine if it can attack, or move up to X spaces?

Example(Move 2 and Attack Legolas or closest hero):

1. First you must try to move toward and attack the selected hero, in this case Legolas, indicated by the app. If you are one space away from Legolas move 1 space. "Move 2" just indicates the maximum movement points.

2. If selected hero(Legolas) is not available the second default is to the closest hero. If 2 heroes are of equal distance, you must decide. I would say have a die handy and roll for a random decision or make a set of rules like: Attack healthiest hero, attack hero with lowest Fear, etc.

3. If no nearby heroes, enemies move x spaces toward the closest hero. If that is tied I usual break toward the original hero they were trying to attack or use your own tiebreaker rules.

Does the enemy have to attack the named hero if it is able to, or can a party decide to let it attack the nearest hero instead? Can it not move at all and attack a hero already in its space, or nearby if it has range?

The enemy figures must attack the stated hero if available. Another hero is attacked when the stated hero is not available to be attacked. You can chose not to move with the enemy figures if they meet the criteria of first attacking the stated hero or the second option of attacking the closest hero.

It is hard sometimes to know if things are options or are written in a strict order of operations, you know?

To be honest, if your group finds a way you enjoy more than the base rules, run with it. I have played games in the past where I altered the rules for more fun, challenge, etc. I know a group for example that starts every round with 1 inspiration for each character.

Thanks again!

see above

From the rulebook:

First, the enemy group moves up to the indicated number of spaces toward the targeted hero, taking the shortest path of spaces possible. The enemy group stops when it is in range of that hero. The enemy is in range if it is in the hero's space or if it is in an adjacent space and has the ranged ( r.jpg ) icon on its enemy portrait.

If the enemy group cannot get in range of its target but it can get in range of another hero, that closer hero becomes the new target. If multiple heroes satisfy this condition, the heroes choose which one becomes the new target.

If the enemy can get in range of a target, the "Attack" button is selected and the app displays the amount of damage ( d.jpg ) and fear ( f.jpg ) that the hero might suffer.

game39.jpg

If the enemy group cannot get in range of any target, it ignores the entire instruction and the "No Target" button is selected. This provides the enemy with a new instruction, which usually moves the enemy closer to a hero.

Hi guys, another newbie question:

I want to perform an attack test with aragorn his sword. The tested stat for sword is might.

I prepared thorongil. One of it's abilities says " before you test, you may discard this skill to test wisdom instead."

My question: can i discard thorongil and perform an attack test with wisdom instead of swords might?

I hope so, because wisdom gives a higher number of cards to attack.

Thanks

Yes! Take the wording quite literal in game. If a card says you may test Wisdom instead, then it’s a go!

I'll pick your brains rather than start a new topic!

Dull sleeving question I'm afraid. The FFG product pages says I need 1 pack of the tarot sleeves and 7 packs of the mini American sleeves. Will that cover the cards in the Villains of Eriador pack too or will I need to buy extra?

Thanks!

Sorry for ignoring your wish using Mattmans brain but you probably don't need extra cards. The Villains pack says: 1 pack of the yellow (1) mini American sleeves. On the other hand there are only 9 extra cards in the Villains pack, so if there are some left in the 7 JiME packs then you can use them. Lets do the math.. 50 sleeves per pack times 7 = 350 sleeves. 83 + 15 + 28 + 28 + 10 + 30 + 30 + 72 + 20 + 21 =‬ 337 cards in the JiME game. So, there are enough in the 7 JiME packs.

Edited by Henilin

Thanks - much appreciated! I'm sure any extras will get used once Shadowed Paths comes out - just didn't want to come up short.

51 minutes ago, Giant Weasel said:

Thanks - much appreciated! I'm sure any extras will get used once Shadowed Paths comes out - just didn't want to come up short.

I can tell you that I have had to replace sleeves as games go on. Doesn’t hurt to have extra! I usually try to keep a spare pack around.

Edited by mattman285

Wait a minute.. I took the numbers from the box and when I look in the book, I see that the 28 fear cards are not mentioned on the box. The total number is 337.

So, there are just enough cards to cover both with 7 packs.

Edited by Henilin

Hi and thanks for the great topic: it was really helpful.

Question for you: I have just completed the first adventure at normal mode with two characters (Beravor and Legolas). Do you have any suggestion on another couple of characters I can use in hard mode?

Thanks

On 5/9/2020 at 10:37 AM, TheTurkish said:

Hi and thanks for the great topic: it was really helpful.

Question for you: I have just completed the first adventure at normal mode with two characters (Beravor and Legolas). Do you have any suggestion on another couple of characters I can use in hard mode?

Thanks

Great question! However it is much more complicated than just character selection. Selecting the proper combination of roles can be equally as important. I prefer 3 player(single player) games.
I typically run:

Legolas Hunter for attack

Aragorn Guardian for defense(And extra success)

Elena Musician/Pathfinder to dish out inspiration and move through the map.

With that said these just fit my play style. There is no wrong answer. I would encourage you to switch roles to a different class once you get both 12xp success cards to maximize your success rate. Think about how you play and build from that. In my opinion though....Legolas every game. And I think if you like to mow down enemies the Legolas/Beravor combo might be right for you, just be open to change the class roles up while you play!

Hope that helps!

42 minutes ago, mattman285 said:

Great question! However it is much more complicated than just character selection. Selecting the proper combination of roles can be equally as important. I prefer 3 player(single player) games.
I typically run:

Legolas Hunter for attack

Aragorn Guardian for defense(And extra success)

Elena Musician/Pathfinder to dish out inspiration and move through the map.

With that said these just fit my play style. There is no wrong answer. I would encourage you to switch roles to a different class once you get both 12xp success cards to maximize your success rate. Think about how you play and build from that. In my opinion though....Legolas every game. And I think if you like to mow down enemies the Legolas/Beravor combo might be right for you, just be open to change the class roles up while you play!

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your reply: this is what I've done for the game I won. Beravor switched from pathfinder to burglar and Legolas from hunter to guardian.

The problem I have is to change Beravor (she is good in exploring and searching) and Legolas (free action engine and bow), but I would like to try another party. I need someone with bow (too much damage output) so my idea was to play Aragorn (guardian/pathfinder) with bow and Bilbo with his equipment. Could this party be good for an hard mode game?

1 hour ago, TheTurkish said:

Thanks for your reply: this is what I've done for the game I won. Beravor switched from pathfinder to burglar and Legolas from hunter to guardian.

The problem I have is to change Beravor (she is good in exploring and searching) and Legolas (free action engine and bow), but I would like to try another party. I need someone with bow (too much damage output) so my idea was to play Aragorn (guardian/pathfinder) with bow and Bilbo with his equipment. Could this party be good for an hard mode game?

I think that’s a good combo to try. I would be careful with Aragorn as a pathfinder even with the bow because at some point you will need to clear out enemies fast. Although Bilbo and Aragorn could traverse the map quickly so if you reserve pathfinder only for the journey map that could work, just getting as much covered as possible. Let me know how it goes! Just make sure you have attack/defense/and exploring all covered between the 2.

When I started playing the game last year, I also started with two characters (Bilbo and Aragorn) and found it very hard and sometimes impossible.

Maybe the game App is better balanced after an update for two players, I don't know. Maybe I was not good enough at that time, that's also possible 😉

At the moment I play with others with three characters (Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas) and that goes very well. It's still tough but what a great game-play.

The important thing is that you try with each turn to come up with all the possibilities (and there are many..) you have, based on the cards to avoid damage and especially fear.

Take your time to figure out all your possibilities and learn what cards and skills are important, like the "Rest" and "Guard" cards.

Another question from my side (this time it's related to the rules): if I have a character that targets with a bow an enemy not in the same place, but this enemy doesn't die and he is in the same place of another character, does he respond to the attack targeting this second character?

The enemy figure will only counter attack the hero figure that attacked it. So in your instance, there are no counter attacks that would occur unless the attacked figure was an orc archer and could also range attack.

40 minutes ago, mattman285 said:

The enemy figure will only counter attack the hero figure that attacked it. So in your instance, there are no counter attacks that would occur unless the attacked figure was an orc archer and could also range attack.

Is there a reference in the rules or in the FAQ?

13 minutes ago, TheTurkish said:

Is there a reference in the rules or in the FAQ?

Page 11 of Learn to Play

“If an enemy is not defeated, it regains all of its armor and sorcery, and it may be prompted to counterattack. The enemy group can attack if it is in the hero’s space or in an adjacent space and has the ranged () icon on its portrait. If the enemy can attack, the hero selects the “Yes” button and resolves an attack as described in “Enemy Activation Step” on page 8.“

Notice it says “the hero” not “a hero,” this referencing the attacking hero.

Hi, just got the game yesterday and had a good go at it, but was confused on some wording on certain damage cards that say discard, for example:

"Knocked prone

Deplete 1 of your 'money bag icon' (Without resolving it's effect) and discard 1 prepared card.

Then discard this card"

So do you still count the card as part of your damage total or is the card discarded and forgotten?