Benthic & Edrio Two Tubes - double/triple actions?

By J-154, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Setup: you fly a U-Wing with Benthic Two Tubes ( After you perform a focus action, you may transfer 1 of your focus tokens to a friendly ship at range 1-2 ) together with the Perceptive Copilot upgrade card ( After you perform a focus action, gain 1 focus token ), and an X-wing with Edrio Two Tubes ( After * you activate, if you are focused, you may perform an action).

* My "Saw's Renegades 1.0 w/ 2.0 contents" card says " After ", but the 2.0 release of the pilot card says " Before "

Am I right in my assumtion here (given I have the " After version" Edrio)?

• Benthic performs a focus action, gains a focus token.
  • Benthic uses his Perceptive Copilot and gains another focus token.
  • Benthic uses his pilot ability and transfers a focus token to Edrio whos in range.
  • Edrio reveals dial, activates and fly a straight 2.
  • Edrio uses his pilot ability and performs an action. Let's say he barrel rolls*.
  • He then uses his standard action and focus. He now has two focus tokens.
  • End of activation phase.

With the " before " version of Edrio he would do this barrel roll before flying according to his dial. He could even focus, giving him a total of three focus tokens at the end of activation phase.

The only difference between the After/Before versions of the Edrio pilot card is when he may perform the free action (I know, the term "free action" is dead in 2.0 but you know what I mean).

In-game example (Covenant vs. FFG employee): https://youtu.be/3TxiyKlHeSU?t=1327

EDIT : also, I foundthis in the rules reference version 1.1.0:

" These products were released in first edition with preview versions of
second edition cards, and some cards contain wording and formating that is
inconsistent with the second edition versions of those cards.
SHIP CARDS
•Edrio Two Tubes (T-65 X-wing)
Should read: “Before you activate, if you are focused...”
(Changed “After” to “Before”)
". Does this mean that "Before" should be the official way to play the game?

I'm new to the game would love to get this cleared out. Thanks!

Benthic_Two_Tubes_Pilot_Card.png

Perceptive_Copilot.png

Edrio_Two_Tubes_Pilot_Card.png

Edited by J-154

Does this mean that "Before" should be the official way to play the game?

Yes. It has been corrected in the rules and "Before" is how Edrio should be worded.

You can verify this in the Rules Reference Errata on pg 27

SHIP CARDS
•Edrio Two Tubes (T-65 X-wing)
Should read: “Before you activate, if you are focused...”

(Changed “After” to “Before”)

On 3/23/2020 at 12:41 AM, J-154 said:

With the " before " version of Edrio he would do this barrel roll before flying according to his dial. He could even focus, giving him a total of three focus tokens at the end of activation phase.

As Lyianx noted above: 'Before' is the correct way to play regardless of which card you have due to the errata.

Edrio cannot end up with 3 focus tokens with only this interaction in play because he is still limited to 1 of a given action per round so his "free action" and standard action cannot both be focus. He can end up with two focus tokens (one action, one passed token) and another action such as Lock.

Also note that 'before you activate' is also before you reveal your dial because 'Reveal Dial' is the first step of activation as per the RR(1.1.0) p3.

PS: one more note about how to trigger Edrio's ability. You can also Coordinate Edrio before he activates (such as with AP-5) and choose focus for that free action to make him 'focused' before he activates.

The main advantage of Benthic over any ol' coordinate is that Benthic retains a focus for himself which he can likely put to good use with his 3 dice main gun. 🙂

@nitrobenz @Lyianx Thank you vey much for clearing this up for me! :)

as a followup question, is there somewhere in the rules clarifying that a configuration card can only be changed once per round as there is with actions.

In essence, can Edrio close his S-foils (before activation), focus and boost, become stressed (before activation), open his S-foils (still before activation), activate and reveal a blue move, clear the stress, action to lock or barrel roll, then attack in full x-wing glory with two focus tokens and possibly a lock on a ship?

It feels too much to me, but trying to work through the action queue examples and rules, I can't find anything preventing it. The first action queue example only halts the second use of something due to stress and actions being prevented. As a config card isnt an action, seems good to go to me

Thanks

On 7/30/2020 at 9:54 PM, Ugger55 said:

as a followup question, is there somewhere in the rules clarifying that a configuration card can only be changed once per round as there is with actions.

In essence, can Edrio close his S-foils (before activation), focus and boost, become stressed (before activation), open his S-foils (still before activation), activate and reveal a blue move, clear the stress, action to lock or barrel roll, then attack in full x-wing glory with two focus tokens and possibly a lock on a ship?

It feels too much to me, but trying to work through the action queue examples and rules, I can't find anything preventing it. The first action queue example only halts the second use of something due to stress and actions being prevented. As a config card isnt an action, seems good to go to me

Thanks

no. you can flip cards as many times as you like and have the opportunity to during a round. however, you do not have the opportunity to first close and then open you s-foils before you activate. this is because of how the ability queue works. "before you activate" is a timing window in which you can build an ability queue. once that queue starts resolving, you cannot add more abilities to it unless they are triggered by something happening in the queue. so if edrio's s-foils are open, he can add the focus action to the queue if he's focused, but not the boost action, since it's not available to him. also, flipping his s-foils back is not available to him. this is because both the boost action and flipping the s-foils back are on the other side of the card and not present in the current game state, when building the queue.

your example works just fine as long as edrio's s-foils are already closed, though. he could then focus into a linked boost, then flip his s-foils, activate and reveal a blue maneuver to loose the stress he gained from the boost action, then perform an action during the perform action step.