Would it be possible to host an online Store championship?

By CjFoxx, in X-Wing Organized Play

This is a question directed at FFG OP.

Would it be possible to host an online Store championship? In the current environment I personally dont see the harm in keeping the positive mood in the community going. I know it has been disallowed in the past , however current precedent demands at least consideration. Would FFG find it acceptable to host a store championship level event on Tabletop sim or on Vassal? If not we could do custom community events but it would be nice if we didn't have to push back the entire season.

Edited by CjFoxx

Sure go ahead 👍 👍

Actually, please don't.

Let's just make one thing abundantly clear here: all of the online ways to play the game are guilty of copyright infringement. They are illegal. The only reason they continue to exist is that they are not worth the time or effort that would be involved in shutting them down. But if people start to use them for official events (and, presumably, charge entry for those events), that will change. Rapidly.

I sympathise with the desire to avoid having to put the competitive season on indefinite hold, but it's not worth risking the wrath of the mouse. Not when the prizes you're playing for aren't really usable until the epidemic is over, anyway.

Edited by DR4CO

I agree with the "please, don't" mindset. While I want people to utilize the heck out of the X-wing sims out there, I don't want Papa Disney coming down and sending a cease and desist out. We saw several podcasts last year make changes because of a Disney memo to FFG on intellectual property. Mynock Podcast rebranded to Fly Better Podcast. All of the Patreon swag had to be re-branded as gifts instead of rewards. I have seen two completely free, fan-made games shutdown by Squaresoft and a free, fan-made Star Wars Battlefront game shutdown by Disney because of intelletual property issues. I worry that if we start using our X-wing sims in an official capacity, it will force FFG to recognize that they exist, and Disney will shut the sims down.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, 5050Saint said:

I agree with the "please, don't" mindset. While I want people to utilize the heck out of the X-wing sims out there, I don't want Papa Disney coming down and sending a cease and desist out. We saw several podcasts last year make changes because of a Disney memo to FFG on intellectual property. Mynock Podcast rebranded to Fly Better Podcast. All of the Patreon swag had to be re-branded as gifts instead of rewards. I have seen two completely free, fan-made games shutdown by Squaresoft and a free, fan-made Star Wars Battlefront game shutdown by Disney because of intelletual property issues. I worry that if we start using our X-wing sims in an official capacity, it will force FFG to recognize that they exist, and Disney will shut the sims down.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, it is their intellectual property. On the other, until they decide to offer a version of their own online play, they aren't losing anything and shouldn't shut it down.

Edited by Wolfshead
Typo