Weathering

By CinnaWolf, in Painting

I can do base colors

but I can’t do weathering to save my life. Helppp with tips plz

Hey CinnaWolf,

Weathering really depends on the individual as some people like clean figures and others like a little to a lot of weathering, myself I like the figures to have a real gritty look to them especially if they are suppose to be fighting.

For weathering their are a number of technics that can be used and they are ,

1: Weathering using paints, you can actually get good weathering using paints you just need to pick the correct colours, for example if you have a figure on a base with a lot of dirt you would use say a Beige Brown with looks great when dry brushed over the figures it gives them a nice dirty look.

2: Washes are also good for weathering but to get a really good weathering to the figure you sometimes need more then one layer which needs to built up over the layer before.

3: Pastel Chalks are my favourite and IMHO is the best way to go as the pastel chalk sanded or lightly scrapped of the chalk makes a fine dust which can be applied using a thin brush depending on the size of the figure. When applying the chalk you just apply a little and this will get in creases etc and give a great look that the figure has seen some action and there are a lot of different colours.

I hope this helps mate and if you need anything else just ask.

7 hours ago, hemblecreations said:

Hey CinnaWolf,

Weathering really depends on the individual as some people like clean figures and others like a little to a lot of weathering, myself I like the figures to have a real gritty look to them especially if they are suppose to be fighting.

For weathering their are a number of technics that can be used and they are ,

1: Weathering using paints, you can actually get good weathering using paints you just need to pick the correct colours, for example if you have a figure on a base with a lot of dirt you would use say a Beige Brown with looks great when dry brushed over the figures it gives them a nice dirty look.

2: Washes are also good for weathering but to get a really good weathering to the figure you sometimes need more then one layer which needs to built up over the layer before.

3: Pastel Chalks are my favourite and IMHO is the best way to go as the pastel chalk sanded or lightly scrapped of the chalk makes a fine dust which can be applied using a thin brush depending on the size of the figure. When applying the chalk you just apply a little and this will get in creases etc and give a great look that the figure has seen some action and there are a lot of different colours.

I hope this helps mate and if you need anything else just ask.

Thanks mate!!

Drybrushing can do a lot of the work (for instance dust on boots)

There are multiple ways to do weathering. These are some things you can use for weathering:

-Drybrushing to create a dusty effect. Pigment powders can also be used for this
-Washes to create streaks and smudges
-Technical paints for rust effects, also another good place for pigment powders
-Stippling with a piece of old fine textured spunge (dark grey paint for example) to create a paint chipping effect

It is all a bit of trial and error. You have to get a feel for it.

Good luck!

On 3/20/2020 at 12:31 AM, CinnaWolf said:

Thanks mate!!

My pleasure mate, glad I could help.