Painting Toys as Terrain

By KommanderKeldoth, in Terrain Building

Not sure if this has been talked about yet (my forum search did not yield results), but how does one go about weathering pre-painted toys to be used as good looking terrain?

Specifically, I recently acquired the snap-tite Resistance A-Wing which is perfectly Legion scaled. Its pre-painted but it looks too clean and toy-like.

Can I effectively hit it with nuln oil (or some other wash) as is or should I prime it with something first or just tape the windows and re-spray the whole thing?

Edited by KommanderKeldoth

Mine is in the queue for a complete repaint. I wanted to paint the engines, guns, landing gear, etc. so I figured it would be a shame not to repaint the whole thing. Though, since it's slightly different - physically - from an original trilogy era A-Wing, I'll probably keep the the blue "test-pilot" paint scheme in a different pattern.

If you're looking for quick & easy, you can certainly try a wash to bring out the panel lines. If you don't like the result, you could probably prime over it with no ill effects.

Weathering powders do wonders

Some of the washes on a larger model look funny to me or just as "prepared"

Usually if you're going to wash, you're going to want to repaint the whole model and then dry brush to blend it all together

11 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Weathering powders do wonders

Some of the washes on a larger model look funny to me or just as "prepared"

Usually if you're going to wash, you're going to want to repaint the whole model and then dry brush to blend it all together

can you elaborate on "weathering powders"? Are they the type of product like Vallejo Pigments? I see those in one of the stores I go to for Legion stuff, but never understand what they're for, or how to use them lol

EDIT: These?

Edited by manoftomorrow010
8 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

can you elaborate on "weathering powders"? Are they the type of product like Vallejo Pigments? I see those in one of the stores I go to for Legion stuff, but never understand what they're for, or how to use them lol

EDIT: These?

Yes. I have a different brand but they are all the same thing. Its actually similar to a make-up product my wife tells me. They can be used to make a rinse or ink or shade depending on how watered down you mix them. They can also be applied dry. Due to the variety of colors they can be anything from engine exhaust to mud or dirt that gets caked on items that get used outside.

They do take some practice to use but make vehicles or largee models "feel" more lived in.

Imagine the difference between the trucks in a showroom at the dealership vs the work truck you've driven everyday for the last 10years

2 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Yes. I have a different brand but they are all the same thing. Its actually similar to a make-up product my wife tells me. They can be used to make a rinse or ink or shade depending on how watered down you mix them. They can also be applied dry. Due to the variety of colors they can be anything from engine exhaust to mud or dirt that gets caked on items that get used outside.

They do take some practice to use but make vehicles or largee models "feel" more lived in.

Imagine the difference between the trucks in a showroom at the dealership vs the work truck you've driven everyday for the last 10years

Cool! I'm wondering if I could use them on my Saber to add some more effect on it

Love converting toys into terrain pieces, you can hide the scale of ships when they're crashed. Cover the cockpit a little, break off bits and add some battle scars.

I find that MDF and foam core is a good base for terrain building. I've been searching the old Facebook marketplace and ebay for cheap star wars toys and kits.

Heres a link to a video and Instagram is Kolgarts_Miniatures