Way of the Dragon timing Question

By Godric_Barbarossa, in Rules Questions

I had a question on the timing of the Mirumoto Two-Heavens Adept School Ability Way of the Dragon (p 68). Does the player have to declare whether there are using ward or trap during Step 2 of Making a Check Determine the Details (p 22) or Step 5 Modifying Rolled Dice (p 24)?

Strictly speaking, it would create a sub step 5 on step 2: Determine Details where the targeted Mirumoto Bushi would choose between trap or ward.

Edit: I would also rule that using your hand (if somehow unarmed) would automatically make you roll against a critical strike with severity equal to weapon used on the strike against you.

Edited by Diogo Salazar
12 hours ago, Godric_Barbarossa said:

I had a question on the timing of the Mirumoto Two-Heavens Adept School Ability Way of the Dragon (p 68). Does the player have to declare whether there are using ward or trap during Step 2 of Making a Check Determine the Details (p 22) or Step 5 Modifying Rolled Dice (p 24)?

Way of the Dragon says:

Once per round during a duel or skirmish when you are targeted by an Attack check with a melee weapon, you may use one of your weapons readied in a one-handed grip (or one of your hands, if it is empty) to ward or trap.

Reading that, I would say when you are targeted means you trigger it when the target is declared, which would be step 2.

Obviously the attacker is then locked into the effect occurring come step 4 (Modify Rolled Dice) - it's important to note that the player making the check decides which dice are rerolled; you can't 'force' them to reroll the 1521230551_ExplosiveSuccessSmall.png.2cc if they have enough common 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 results they're okay rerolling.

11 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Edit: I would also rule that using your hand (if somehow unarmed) would automatically make you roll against a critical strike with severity equal to weapon used on the strike against you.

I'm not sure if I would - it's not a parry per se - but I'll admit I'm not entirely happy letting someone use the ability barehanded.

It's rarely an issue in practice, I find; the Mirumoto Adept has a Daisho, after all, which can be carried in basically all circumstances, so they should almost always have an 'off-hand' weapon to use the ability with.

Since Mirumoto players I've GM-ed for tend to pick up Spinning Blades Style fairly early on, they want something stabbier than an empty fist in that off-hand anyway.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:52 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Since Mirumoto players I've GM-ed for tend to pick up Spinning Blades Style fairly early on, they want something stabbier than an empty fist in that off-hand anyway.

That brings up an interesting follow-up question. Way of the Dragon states that "You cannot choose this weapon for Attack actions until the end of your next turn." Spinning Blades Style allows one to use opportunity to use a readied weapon to inflict damage and Heart of the Dragon allows one to spend opportunity to perform a Strike action with a readied weapon not used for an Attack action this turn. By my reading if one uses the Way of the Dragon they do not get the benefit of either Spinning Blade Style or Heart of the Dragon on their next turn. Is that a correct reading?

Unless you win initiative and acts first. Then you can use the wakizashi to strike AND defend later.

Edited by Diogo Salazar
On 3/12/2020 at 2:19 PM, Godric_Barbarossa said:

By my reading if one uses the Way of the Dragon they do not get the benefit of either Spinning Blade Style or Heart of the Dragon on their next turn. Is that a correct reading?

Heart of the dragon is a separate attack action and is definitely a no-no.

Spinning blades is an opportunity spend as part of an attack action, not the attack action itself.... I'd probably say no but could be convinced either way