All Fiction in PDF in Chronological Reading Order - By Kaori

By KakitaKaori, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

It's been enough years, I'm making this my own.

This list started out as a list by @Maffster , found Here . But since he is not able to update it, I've taken it over for him. Everything on this list appears sorted by the date of publication. As such, I've modified it from the original list where there are discrepancies. If it is associated with a box or card pack set, it is associated with the date that product was released. If it was associated with a novel, it is associated with the date it went on sale on the market.

If you want to know when events occur relative to each other in time, you can find it here, at my New 5r Timeline . Since events in the timeline often interweave each other or are functionally simultaneous, or contain flashbacks of various lengths, I suggest reading in order of release, rather than by timeline. Also, this timeline has summaries of the fictions for you to refer to and other tools.

If you want to listen to an audio version of many of these stories, you can find them at https://the-table-is-yours.pinecast.co/.

The Great Clans - This flavor text is from the Box set but is a better introduction to L5R than any fiction, and is suggested to start here before launching into the fictions.

01 - Her Fathers Daughter

02 - The Price Of War

03 - The Rising Wave

04 - Dark Hands Of Heaven

05 - Risen From The Flames

06 - Curved Blades

07 - Smokeless Fire

08 - The World, A Stage

09 - An Empire In Turmoil ...........(PDF Version)

10 - A Season Of War ...........(PDF Version)

11 - A Most Suitable Teacher

12 - In the Garden of Lies (Part 1)

13 - In the Garden of Lies (Part 2)

14 - To The South (Part 1)

15 - To The South (Part 2)

16 - The Fate of Flames

17 - Better To Be Certain

18 - The Fires of Justice

19 - The Stories We Tell

20 - Blind Ambition ...........(PDF Version)

21 - Service and Sacrifice

22 - A Difference Of Lanterns ...........(PDF Version)

23 - Beneath, Below, Beyond

24 - Family Duty ...........(PDF Version)

25 - Flying Chariot, Standing

26 - Court Games ...........(PDF Version)

27 - Honor, Loyalty, Duty

28 - The Bright Flame of the World's Glory ...........(PDF Version)

29 - Wildcats And Dragon Teeth

30 - Fireflies ...........(PDF Version)

31 - The Spectres of War

32- Repentance Does Not Come First

33 - The Sword and the Spirits

34 - Tempests and Tides ...........(PDF Version)

35 - A Crane Takes Flight

36 - Gaze Into Darkness ...........(PDF Version)

37 - Kurosunai Village

38 - Awakened ...........(PDF Version)

39 - Dreams of Shadow ...........(PDF Version)

40 - Outsiders

41 - Heart of the Garden

42 - Snow And Sun ...........(PDF Version)

43 - Between the Lines

44 - A Swift End ...........(PDF Version)

45 - Whispers of Shadow and Steel

46 – Tiger Stalks His Prey

47 - A Simple Test

48 - A Call to Stewardship - Unicorn Clan Letter

49 - A Call to Leadership - Lion Clan Letter

50 - A Call to Witness - Dragon Clan Letter

51 - A Call for Diplomacy - Crane Clan Letter

52 - A Call for Unity - Phoenix Clan Letter

53 - A Call to Investigate - Crab Clan Letter

54 - A Call to Duty - Scorpion Clan Letter

55 - Small Mercies

56 – Imperial Gifts

57 - Across the Burning Sands

58 – Children of the Empire Part 1

59 – Children of the Empire Part 2

60 – Children of the Empire Part 3

61 -Like Seeds on the Wind

62 – Rule from Horseback

63 – The Last Stone Played

64 – Tactical Maneuvers

65 – 2019 Clan Letters

66 – Falling Stars

67 – By the Stroke of a Brush

68 – Red Petals Scatter

69 – Two Swords Fall from Heaven

70 – Black and White

71 – Behind the Empty Throne

72 – Roar of the Lioness

73 – Wind Through Falling Leaves

74 – The Price of Failure

75 - The Eternal Knot

76 – Trust Me

77 – A Game of Promises

78 – The Cornered Lion Part 1

79 – The Cornered Lion Part 2

80 – Bloody Harvest

81 – Pine and Cherry Blossom

82 – We Strike First

83 – Beyond Reach

84 – What the Eye Cannot See

85 – A Night Storm Rages

86 – Cold Autumn Harvests

87 – Hidden Markings

88 - The Art of Matchmaking

89 - How the World Ought to Work

90 - Caged Birds

91 - Violence Behind Courtliness

92 - Truth and Lies

93 - Courtly Nets and Hidden Snares

94 - The Sea and the Sun's Shadow

95 - Heart of the Mountain

96 - A Missive from the Front - Lion Clan

97 - A Missive from the Front - Unicorn Clan

98 - A Secret Letter - Scorpion Clan

99 - A Discerning Eye and an Unyielding Resolve

100 - Daidoji

101 - Beneath the Light of Jade

102 - The Shadow of Glory

103 - Duty's Cost

104 - The Stained Cup

105 - Trail of Shadows

106 - The Last Leaf Falls

107 - When the Wave Strikes the Shore

108 - Questionable Shelter

109 - What Cost a Dream

`110 - An Impossible Task

111 - The Yogo Curse Part 1

112 - The Yogo Curse Part 2

113 - The Careful Gardener

Edited by KakitaKaori
The Careful Gardener

Added Violence Behind Courtliness

Thank you so much for doing this. I love the lore and fiction of L5R. However, I'm not a fan of how the fiction is laid out on the FFG site. You are truly doing Amaterasu's work for us.

Man, I have some catching up to do!

Updated

13 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

Updated

You may not have noticed but there is a third 2020 Clan War Scorpion Letter written by Yogo Junzo posted in the fiction section of the website. There is some odd formatting in it so it may be a draft that was posted in error, or it could be some Scorpion cipher we are meant to figure out.

We've reached #100. Congratulations FFG!

100.gif

So I just noticed I missed a couple fictions. How are people finding out about new fictions? If I hadn't checked the forum to see people commenting on them I would have never noticed. It's a little frustrating that the last few didn't get a front page article. I've been trained to look there.

39 minutes ago, phillos said:

So I just noticed I missed a couple fictions. How are people finding out about new fictions? If I hadn't checked the forum to see people commenting on them I would have never noticed. It's a little frustrating that the last few didn't get a front page article. I've been trained to look there.

They have been popping up on the FFG Twitter, and the Facebook groups have linked them as well.

1 minute ago, Schmoozies said:

They have been popping up on the FFG Twitter, and the Facebook groups have linked them as well.

My disdain for social media bites me again. Between Twitter and Facebook I guess Facebook is slightly less annoying to monitor.

Fixed some of the numbering and removed some duplicates that didn't make sense from Maffster's initial list, since I doubt he is ever coming back.

Thank you for this... the storyline seems different, but with many similarities to, the original storyline. Does anyone know if the current game intends to somewhat mirror the events leading up to the Day of Thunder? Or is there an entirely separate intended here?

Most people want/believe there will be a Second Day of Thunder. Me? Not so much, I would love to have a big Oni threat like the Maw, if that's the case, but I really don't want a SDoT happening. Because that will mean FFG will have to dial up the supernatural threat of the season to keep the setting "interesting" (or boring, IMHO). I really like the emphasis they are giving to the people and their relationship instead of supernatural events. I mean, I get supernatural events happening on the Crab border, because that's pretty much their thing. But I really don't want the amount of Empire/World shattering events that happened in the old timeline in a matter of, what, 90 years?

13 hours ago, redcapjack said:

Thank you for this... the storyline seems different, but with many similarities to, the original storyline. Does anyone know if the current game intends to somewhat mirror the events leading up to the Day of Thunder? Or is there an entirely separate intended here?

Second Day of Thunder is a likely eventual goal, how long we take to get there is the question. We've already seen that they are doing quite a bit of diversion from the old storyline while still hinting at many of the biggest story beats (just coming at them from completely different directions like the Scorpion Clan "Coup" not being Shoju's fault, and Ronin Toturi being his choice and not a punishment that was leveled against him) so I see no reason to expect different with the Second Day of Thunder.

Yeah, I mean, from release to SDoT, it took AEG roughly 2 years. While we have been under what? 3 years of FFG control and we just had “the Scorpion Clan Coup”, so if it takes another 7 years to reach the SDoT, I would be ok with tjat.

So there is a Scorpion Clan Coup? I haven't gotten that far in the fictions yet, but I keep reading occasional story beats that put me ahead a little too far... I'm very confused by much of it all. I'm happy Tadaka is still Tadaka, though.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:23 PM, Diogo Salazar said:

Most people want/believe there will be a Second Day of Thunder. Me? Not so much, I would love to have a big Oni threat like the Maw, if that's the case, but I really don't want a SDoT happening. Because that will mean FFG will have to dial up the supernatural threat of the season to keep the setting "interesting" (or boring, IMHO). I really like the emphasis they are giving to the people and their relationship instead of supernatural events. I mean, I get supernatural events happening on the Crab border, because that's pretty much their thing. But I really don't want the amount of Empire/World shattering events that happened in the old timeline in a matter of, what, 90 years?

I wouldn't assume any of that is the inevitable consequence of the Second Day of Thunder. There are other ways to continue on with the story than an Even More Bigger More Badder More Scariest Supernatural Threat; there might be a time-skip so that the earth-shattering events don't all happen on each others' heels; I doubt they'll ditch the focus on people and relationships.

Which from the perspective of the RPG is fine, but from the LCG, not so much. I mean, I hope FFG learned from AEG’s mistakes and all. Only time will tell...

12 hours ago, redcapjack said:

So there is a Scorpion Clan Coup? I haven't gotten that far in the fictions yet, but I keep reading occasional story beats that put me ahead a little too far... I'm very confused by much of it all. I'm happy Tadaka is still Tadaka, though.

There's a card out/due called Scorpion Clan Coup. Whether that has in fact taken place is a matter of opinion and if there was one it was a political coup, not a military coup as happened in the old timeline. I'll say no more about it and let you see the shoes as they drop and have the "Oh ****!" moments when you see things fit together.

I had always assumed after they relaunched us to pre-Clan Wars era that SDoT would be introduced in another product like a Descent-like mini's game for example. It just seems like that sort of band of heroes journey into a hostile environment and take on a giant supernatural threat kinda wants a different type of game. In contrast the LCG is perfectly suited to handle a Clan Wars type story line. I guess it also could be handled by the RPG products if they want. A SDoT could even be run concurrently with a Clan Wars storyline if they wanted to do it that way. A delegation of clan representatives coming together to deal with a supernatural threat doesn't mean the political infighting needs to stop. That said yeah unless they really play with the timeline then the current rate of storytelling means a SDoT is a long way off.

Well, we do have Chags already involved in the story, not to mention the Bat Clan. I'd say they're willing to make some changes to the timeline.

Added the new fiction.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:21 AM, KakitaKaori said:

If you want to know when events occur relative to each other in time, you can find it here, at my New 5r Timeline .

102 - The Shadow of Glory

103 - Duty's Cost

I was chekingin the Overall Timeline, and the two fiction I left in the quote (Shadow of Glory and Duty cost) are not in that timeline.

Anyway, very great work

On 9/30/2020 at 9:56 PM, Victarion13 said:

I was chekingin the Overall Timeline, and the two fiction I left in the quote (Shadow of Glory and Duty cost) are not in that timeline.

Anyway, very great work

Thanks. I missed these. I got them in there now.

I've been doing some verification on publication dates and I've updated this so it matches the actual order of publication.. I also added An Impossible Task.